• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Carl Built

A local amp builder friend of mine has fixed a few of these amps that were Carlbuilt. They would work fine on a single final bipolar radio, but with a Stryker 955 high input just like you described.

The amp builder said he had to use a blocking cap to fix it. He said like the way Texas Star uses blocking caps. Went right over my head!
The only other radios that I had at the time was a Galaxy 959 and a 73V. Both read SWR input at over 4.0. I replaced the Carl Built with a 307 Built biased 4 pill and never looked back.

I have an Anytone AT-5555N II and a President Lincoln II+ (V4), both purchased from and gone over by Scott's Radios. Do you think the following amp would be a good SSB choice for these two radios? I don't know if/why the optional 2879hg transistors are worth it for the extra cost but I plan on having this for a long time.

I know the 5555 is a hotter rig than the Lincoln and it really does not matter which one I use since I like them both. The other will just be used as-is out in the truck.

My RM Italy days are over!

1675610588309.png

I have an Anytone AT-5555N II and a President Lincoln II+ (V4), both purchased from and gone over by Scott's Radios. Do you think the following amp would be a good SSB choice for these two radios? I don't know if/why the optional 2879hg transistors are worth it for the extra cost but I plan on having this for a long time.

I know the 5555 is a hotter rig than the Lincoln and it really does not matter which one I use since I like them both. The other will just be used as-is out in the truck.

My RM Italy days are over!

View attachment 62525
The Lincoln 2+ backed by a Carl Built 400hd is one of the combinations I run. It will run approximately 600pep on AM and SSB. This combo sounds awesome on the air and never gets hot no matter how long its keyed up. Be sure your electrical system is solid, I'm running a 220 amp alternator and a 500F super cap to keep the voltage steady. The "C" pills aren't worth it unless you are wanting to drive the snot out of the box.

The Lincoln 2+ backed by a Carl Built 400hd is one of the combinations I run. It will run approximately 600pep on AM and SSB. This combo sounds awesome on the air and never gets hot no matter how long its keyed up. Be sure your electrical system is solid, I'm running a 220 amp alternator and a 500F super cap to keep the voltage steady. The "C" pills aren't worth it unless you are wanting to drive the snot out of the box.
This is going to be used as a part of my base setup. I currently have a single 120 amp power supply for both my radios and amps but will be dedicating the 120 amp PSU to the new amp if/when I can get one. I have been using an RM Italy 27/586 low pass filter with both my KL203P (poor SSB audio quality) and KL503HD (in need of repairs).

I just want a clean signal especially on SSB with as little splatter and much clear modulation as I can afford and plan on letting the amp have an easy life.

Reactions: FlatlandBusa
This is going to be used as a part of my base setup. I currently have a single 120 amp power supply for both my radios and amps but will be dedicating the 120 amp PSU to the new amp if/when I can get one. I have been using an RM Italy 27/586 low pass filter with both my KL203P (poor SSB audio quality) and KL503HD (in need of repairs).

I just want a clean signal especially on SSB with as little splatter and much clear modulation as I can afford and plan on letting the amp have an easy life.
Driving pills well under max capability definitely helps keep the output clean. The filtering is a good plan, I run a band pass filter between my radio and amp, then a low pass on the amp output. Make sure the filters are rated more than the power you plan on running.

Your 120 amp supply should keep a 400hd supplied, although I have seen my 400hd take 110+amps peak on SSB with only 45 watts drive.

Driving pills well under max capability definitely helps keep the output clean. The filtering is a good plan, I run a band pass filter between my radio and amp, then a low pass on the amp output. Make sure the filters are rated more than the power you plan on running.

Your 120 amp supply should keep a 400hd supplied, although I have seen my 400hd take 110+amps peak on SSB with only 45 watts drive.
What bandpass filter do you run between radio and amp and lpf after the amp?

What bandpass filter do you run between radio and amp and lpf after the amp?
The bandpass is a Morgan systems M-431CB. The lowpass is a MFJ-704.

The carl built was just over 35db down at the first harmonic before adding the filters. With the filters the harmonics practically do not exist. A good side effect is a very low reflect power number from the antenna.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

It sounds like given my requirements that I would be okay not upgrading to the C transistors. But down inside I can't count the number of times I have regretted not doing an upgrade as part of the initial purchase e.g. new car or motorcycle or snowmobile or, well, really anything. That said, I have no interest in throwing away $110 for the upgraded transistors if it will not even be noticed by me. Then again, maybe they will provide me with a bit more of a safety margin and I have recently proven that I still need that even at my advancing age. Waffle waffle waffle.

I will be ordering this on Monday and right now my decision is to go with the upgraded pills.

It sounds like given my requirements that I would be okay not upgrading to the C transistors. But down inside I can't count the number of times I have regretted not doing an upgrade as part of the initial purchase e.g. new car or motorcycle or snowmobile or, well, really anything. That said, I have no interest in throwing away $110 for the upgraded transistors if it will not even be noticed by me. Then again, maybe they will provide me with a bit more of a safety margin and I have recently proven that I still need that even at my advancing age. Waffle waffle waffle.

I will be ordering this on Monday and right now my decision is to go with the upgraded pills.
I have read, but not tested this, the db gain ratio is supposed to be less on the C pills. Hopefully others who have tested this will chime in.

Two pill 2879C base at 14.5 volts will easily get 450 to 500 watts with a completely stock Anytone 6666. I know because I have one that I just got from a local tech.

It was actually a 4 pill Toshiba 2879 that finally bit the dust, and was rebuilt to a two pill 2879C box with B bias. I was very surprised at the performance of the 2879C transistors. Around about a 5 watt carrier from the radio equals a 100 watt carrier, and it just swings from there.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Joe is no longer building
Well, every time I talked to him he was so grumpy (probably for good reason) but he probably ran himself out of business being rude (haha). I've always thought those cases were the ugliest things I'd ever seen and I went to school with some fugly jokers too. Not to mention how 90% of them look like they're thrown together, which most amps these days look that way and built with some of the crappiest fans known to man.

You can always call Carl and talk to him, he actually answers the phone.
He has always answered my questions.....

630-797-8502

Jeff
That is 100% true. I have a Carl amp and it eats transistors for breakfast, lunch and supper... I called him and spoke with him about it. His response was to throw two more in there and use the same hFe or a number or two below that but not higher. Soon, I'll be able to build a temple out back from just the blown transistors - The Tower of HG.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.