• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB radio Becoming Respectable Again???

Is CB radio making a comeback?

• Yes

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Who Cares

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CB is dead down here except for the occasional trucker or tourist looking for directions. We use it to communicate from our house to our boat when cell phone service is spotty - a big problem down here when you're on a boat. When using CB, we can pick whatever channel we want.

To my surprise, it is also almost dead up the road in Miami, the big city, where years ago every single channel was clogged up 24/7. I drove through there yesterday with the radio auto-scanning and could not pick up a single station.

Respectable is one thing. Dead is another.

bet
AntennaCar.jpg

can you tell which antenna is for ham and which is for cb radio ?

896bc2efeb75c3725fc2fb0c8658ba80.jpg
better poke a 426 hemi in it .lotta wind drag and never drive with a side wind,might flip that lil rollerskate over

I'm wondering if Seth MacFalane(Family Guy) had a CB Radio as a kid? Mel Blanc(Buggs Bunny voice) during the 1970's did.
1 of our presidents wives had 1. bet the body guards wished she didnt use a cb...

Reactions: walterjn
If it weren’t for those basement dwellers who can tie up 19 for hours, I’d agree with the “respectability” part. That is, those using it to talk with their fellow truck drivers.

Does it get raunchy? Sure. Stay off 19 if that’s a problem.

19 opens a world that makes the loneliness of long distance trucking bearable. Something the phone or Internet wont ever do. Immediate and on the spot talk.

Some of the funniest things I’ve ever heard come across that radio. Tears running down funny. There’s no dead-pan like CB radio dead-pan.

I was coming thru OKC on a holiday earlier this year. Reached the spot past the El Reno scales where I could hear Rattlesnake and his group and turned it up .

Couldn’t understand what they were talking about. Subject, not audio quality. Started to think they were all fishing the same lake from different vantage points. I asked (and about died of laughter) when I learned they were all watching and commenting on a live feed of a Hawaiian lava flow.

Mines always on. Might be turned low, but years of experience tell me when to increase loudness.

Was running up US-287 to Denver out of Fort Worth back in the spring and fell in with some fast-moving cattle haulers (empty). By the sound of things they’d been awake about three days. Some Californio-tagged idgjit in a reefer cut into their group and they fell to cussing him. He squawked back in a sub-Continental accent and they laid waste to his lack of skills, his lack of an American name or membership in a Protestant church. As he SAID he was an American.

He proceeded to explain his non-asssimilating ways (PC crap) and one old boy got to supporting him against the others. Who were flabbergasted. But, he explained, that boys great, great, great granpappy HAD to have fought in our Civil War. And then he asked him point blank about whether it was him or his ancestors had shed blood & treasure for America.

Man, you coulda heard a pin drop. Distant static.

After about a four-count he said, “well, you get back to us someday about who it is defines America. And, Paul . . say hi to everyone at the Antioch Baptist Church for us”

i used to set back then start saying you bully truck drivers think you own the roads.im in my souped up yugo n i deserve every chance to speed up on everey downhill run ,sure i cut you off but im sill in a yugo. that would get the ball rolling n then some person would ask where i was.id make sure of mile markers n tell em find me n im kickin their azzes.they would fly by me all chaisin nothing.id hang back but stay up with em.sure was nice that they were in the lead drivin fast.
had other ways id use on the radio but ima let them slide. but if sleepy that sure woke 1 up

All my radios are respectable. They say yes sir and no sir when addressed, not less there is a pork chop around, a real pork chop, not chopped ham.

Wildrat, yours is a cool call sign.
Vanity or luck of the draw?

Couldn't help but notice you joined WWDX in 2008 and this is your first post. Been away from the hobby and returning?

When was cb not respectful? Anytime you can talk to anybody else over a mile without shouting its respectful

Reactions: walterjn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.