• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB radio Becoming Respectable Again???

Is CB radio making a comeback?

• Yes

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Who Cares

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CB is dead down here except for the occasional trucker or tourist looking for directions. We use it to communicate from our house to our boat when cell phone service is spotty - a big problem down here when you're on a boat. When using CB, we can pick whatever channel we want.

To my surprise, it is also almost dead up the road in Miami, the big city, where years ago every single channel was clogged up 24/7. I drove through there yesterday with the radio auto-scanning and could not pick up a single station.

Respectable is one thing. Dead is another.
I use to be on ch 17 back in 1994-1997 in miami area up in hollywood,florida on trc492 my call sign use to be mrweatherman back in the day on a basestation.

I started CB about 1970 and stayed with it until the late 1980's or so. SSB was my preference but I also enjoyed AM.

My interest has rekindled recently for whatever reasons. :confused: Wish I had some of my old antennas back.

I don't remember much disrespect back then...everyone used the same CB lingo on AM. Biggest disrespect was folks keying each other out.

I'm kinda like a newbie starting all over again. I would hear people talking about channels 6 & 11 and the CB Super Bowl. I had no idea what that was until I googled it and then listened...dang! That's some disrespect!

Folks used to worry about the FCC. Today all those old concerns sound like non-issues.

413989075.jpg

413989076.jpg

Oh Yeh, I'm a disrespectful Old Goat.

410135606.jpg

Hello come in. Kick er back tin fur

CB Radio has always been respectable, it is the operators who ruined it.
Way back when some of us formed "React Rescue Groups" and we did actually perform public service. I was "Rescue 555" and kept that as my skip numbers for SSB. Still use those numbers on CB skip. If you hear the "North Central Kentucky 555" it could be me.
1 of our presidents wives had 1. bet the body guards wished she didnt use a cb...
I do believe but I am not positive that it was Lady Bird Johnson. She was the reason that they did away with the license. There was a photo and a big front-page news spread where she showed up at the FCC and her license was issued to her on the spot. People raised such hell because there was a month to two months waiting. Sometimes. And that I believe is why they did away with the CB license.

CB & R/C license by rule, 48 Fed. Reg. 24882 (June 3, 1983)
The license by rule provision was originally enacted by Congress in 1982 for citizens band (CB) and radio control (R/C) services.6 Prior to 1982, theoretically all CB and R/C users were supposed to obtain individual licenses from the FCC before transmitting. The primary justification for the change to license by rule was the administrative burden on the FCC from licensing the large number of users of the CB and R/C services.
Shortly after Congress enacted the changes, the FCC used its new authority in Section 307(e) to eliminate the individual licensing requirement for CB and R/C services.
The FCC reiterated the congressional statements that individual licensing would reduce costs for the agency.

R. Reagan was President...Ford's term ended in 1977/ First Lady Betty Ford was "First MAMA"
All the Best
Gary

1976-04-06-the-indianapolis-star-6-apr-1976-tue-first-edition.jpg

The Indianapolis Star – April 6, 1976

Last edited:
Yep both women were avid cb operators.
Id still bet secret service wished they didnt use cbs for security reasons.
Im glad im not the only 1 that remembers those women.im not old just kinda rusted out in places.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated