• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB-radio with VFO?

the closest your gona get to those is a ranger 2995dx dual vfo.
shift key to move the pointer to select the desired khz that you want to scroll.(1khz,10khz,and100khz stepping) up and down keys is one vfo and a knob style vfo. the mobil rangers such as the 2950dx and 2970dx have dual vfo aswell just its a small knob not a large one.

these radios cover 24-32 mhz. 8)

Hey Viking,
If I read the fine print on the first two radios you list, they were modified by a company in Germany called "Muller Electronics". Neither one was sold WITH this capability.

Hy-Gain sold a small external VFO that plugged into a 9-pin socket on the rear panel of some 23-channel Hy-Gain CB radios. The theory was that the external VFO would be active ONLY in receive, and NOT transmit. Wasn't too big a deal to modify it to transmit, but it only covered up to around 27.350. The FCC made them drop this accessory, and the socket on the radios, too. Considered it "too easy" to modify. I think it was called the "Hy-Gain 6", or maybe "9".

The only other one was the Tram D201 tube-type base transceiver. It had an internal VFO wired up to function ONLY on receive. It too, wasn't all that hard to convert for transmit, but it wasn't stable enough for SSB. Worked fine on AM, though.

Check out our digital "slider" that fits the old Browning Mark III SSB transmitters at Nomad Radio Digital "slider"

It doesn't really "slide", but tunes in 5 kHz steps. No 'fine tune' on it, so it's really meant to use on AM. The SSB receiver on a Browning radio is a bit lame, so there seemed no point to adding that feature.

I did have a modefied CB-radio with VFO and ordenery channel in the erly 80:ies. Can't remeber the name of it. It had no frec-counter. Just a 40 "digi" counter.
But I remember that the VFO did that extra to recive weak signal. The VFO was also made for TX. But I did not use it.
The VFO was a mechanical 10 revolution VFO, gloved to the front panel. Anyway, it did work well whit good precision, and covered ~2 mhz. Greate for DX:ing!

Is there any one who make thoes VFO mods today? Just to cure my curiosity... :?

DX-VPresident HR2510post: 31943 said:
I did have a modefied CB-radio with VFO and ordenery channel in the erly 80:ies. Can't remeber the name of it. It had no frec-counter. Just a 40 "digi" counter.
But I remember that the VFO did that extra to recive weak signal. The VFO was also made for TX. But I did not use it.
The VFO was a mechanical 10 revolution VFO, gloved to the front panel. Anyway, it did work well whit good precision, and covered ~2 mhz. Greate for DX:ing!

Is there any one who make thoes VFO mods today? Just to cure my curiosity... :?
How about a President HR2510? Or a President Lincoln?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.