• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CbTricks.com FORUM - MEMBERS

I still haven't given up, just need access to fix that database...

I've found ways to review messages so that tells me the basics are there, just the tedious "Indexing" part is goofed up.

Put it this way, the "Records" are still in order, they are referenced as a number on an index, the index is shattered, but the data records are not.
i chated with a simplemachines tech last year he said we had to get the admin to fix it,,,,,

Hi Andy,

Yeah, that's how I understand the problem. But my working experience with database software ended somewhere between dBase II and dBase III.

Out of my depth with a PHP forum. At least I think Simple Machines is written in PHP..

Dern!

Yes, been working on a simple machines design myself - but my problem here is my XYL and privacy.

I had a private server up and humming simple machines already in Linux, but that was my own stuff.

Bennie did a lot and I MEAN A LOT of custom CGI and PHP rework.

The funny thing about PHP is; it "writes" like the way we have done up our own home pages on his server system. The PHP "customizes" it using scrip's, CSS and java that Bennie or anyone using that software "creates" to tie it all together to make it look like it does on your screen - all the scripting is done back on the server side.

For CBT to show what it does, is all from Bennies hard earned work.

For Bennie to have gotten this far with it is quite a tribute. Sorry to see the index part of the servers' database is what is holding all of this back.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I did a bunch of searching before I talked to Bennie and found the very last person to try to post was trying to add pictures to the site and that is when it all went down. a lot like the blank page we would get when some one tried to post a picture and it would blank out all the postings for that one post.
it looked to me the last person trying to post pictures caused the crash of the forum. maybe that was just an accident that the complete system went down at the same time.
you can still look at what a single person has posted over the years. you just do not see what every one else posted when you are looking at a single person postings. I went back in a few months ago and copied off most of LBcomms postings which is Sue..
at least you can get all of one persons postings.

So is Bennie alive and well or what? Not that I don’t like this site cause I do but I miss posting over there and hanging out. I miss Smitty and his smart mouth, always giving me crap. I also miss Patzerozero and BC from the metal forum, wonder what happened to those two? But I miss the Tricks forum. Hopefully the main page stuff won’t ever go down but luckily I have a hard copy on disk.

All the information that’s posted under the radios section, the service manuals and schematics, wonder how he ever got all that? I’d like to see it updated with all the new radios, there’s really not a lot for them yet.

End rambling

Well looks like it's taken a turn for the worst over at cbt... None of the info pages will load now or the forum either. The main page is it. Man if this is it over there then like many others I'm sure gonna miss that place

Well looks like it's taken a turn for the worst over at cbt... None of the info pages will load now or the forum either. The main page is it. Man if this is it over there then like many others I'm sure gonna miss that place
if we knew what ya did eldorado maybe we could guess on how to fix,,,,,, ya was the last one to post when it went down,,,,,,not saying ya did intentionally,, but something happened,,,, i miss the forum too,,, i put a check in every sunday,,,, there is way to get to post but is a pain and you dont get the whole thread only what a member has posted,,,,

There are multiple options to fix that forum. We have no ability to do anything without contact with the owner though.

I can think of multiple things to attempt to try and fix it. Looking through the code on github, it doesn't look like they are writing tests for their software, which would make diagnosing the database a bit easier.

How I would probably proceed would be to setup a clean install of the forum on a different server, make note of the database schema, and then compare that to the schema on the corrupted database. If they match, I would probably start by writing a script to copy over information one piece at a time, testing each time to see that the forum is not corrupted. If it is corrupted, that will tell you where the problem is. This would also have the benefit of removing any possible corruption caused by addons/plugins or modifications made over the time the forum has been active, restoring the users, messages, posts, etc. to a pristine state.

If that doesn't work, which it should, I would restore the database on the test server from the live server, and then I would write a script to delete posts one at a time, starting from the most recent post, and then test to see if the problem is repaired. A script to do such a thing would probably take about half an hour or less. If no problem is found, reset the database and start deleting messages one at a time, starting from the most recent, and see if one is causing the problem. If no problem is found, reset and start deleting users one at a time and see if it's a user that is causing the problem.

Anyway, I would be more than willing to help, as I said, and I wouldn't even charge for it. Repairing corrupted databases isn't usually terribly difficult, unless someone has fiddled with the corrupted database too much. In the latter case, I would hope he backed up the database prior to making those attempts to fix it.

I been sitting here all night and thinking, can’t sleep. I feel like he knows it’s down and has an issue, I’m sure he does and I believe that’s even been stated in this thread. Stop and think about that for a minute. I believe that forums are dying, I looked at most all the radio forums I could remember going to and they are all just about dead.

Maybe Bennie just doesn’t care anymore. Radio around here seems dead and seems forums are getting that way too, probably due to that damn Facebook and shit. Makes me sad cause I love forums

Wonder if he’d sell it to someone and then they could fix it and keep it going? I’d be interested in buying it but I have no idea how to fix it. I guess like everything else around here, keep throwing money at it until it works again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated