• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148GTL keyup AM, SSB with no Audio

PETERpH

Dec 24, 2020
I need some help: I have a Cobra 148 GTL old radio; it was working great until, I increase the Voltage from the power supply by accident then a boom noise came from the radio. (WHEN OFF) I was able to find the diodes that burn out in the radio and replace them, it is back ON, I could not hear anything trace the voltage and find out that, I burn the TA7222 Audio Amplifier I was able to replaced then the RX is back. However as soon as I press the microphone, red light come-ON watts on AM are being reflected on the watt meter. But I have no audio (modulation) SSB I can hear a crack on external speaker as soon as I press the mic but I have no audio. I have check most of the transistors PNP and some NPN with no luck finding the problem. I have no signs of a dielectric capacitor expansion. PA doesn't transmit a voice either. I do not have a frequency counter to check PIN 3 for 10420MHz on the IC MB8719. However I do have an oscilloscope with little of knowledge on CB's I do see check points on the schematics but I am not sure what to look for. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Peter.

PeterpH,
Search the attachment below. It is the 148 schematics from a Sam's manual. it will show plenty of voltages on the schematic to help you.

Good Luck!

David

Thank you, I will look into later on today. I am assuming I have to adjust the TX once the TA7222 Audio Amplifier was replace? I don't have a Frequency counter I will be calculating the Frequency respond from the check points.

Thanks again

PETERpH.

I would check all voltages to and from the Audio Amplifier (as a starter) compared to the Sam's manual. Also check for solder bridges around the TA7222 .Brighter minds may chime in with more info.

David

Check C18. When it fails as a short, the mike amplifier shuts down. Simply unsoldering one leg from the foil trace will let you see if you get mike audio with it unhooked. We use a 330uf or 470uf cap to replace it. The original 47uf value proves to be too small when the carrier is turned down, causing a feedback squeal in the AM transmit audio.

Thank you for all of your replies, I have trace the voltage and mic signals. However, 99% of the Voltage are high in average of 1v 1.8v, I have order a kit of dielectric capacitor to replace them all. I found a short on a TR-37 XMT and a high voltage on a TR-38 XMT almost 3 time more of what the specs are (TR-28 is the AM driver). However, I thing I will look deeply once I replace all the Cap's to verify TR-38 "XMT" is no over powering the bias.

BTW all the voltage in and out from the IC6 AF POWER AMP are good including IC 4, IC 3. Are (ok) I am not happy with a high voltage in some areas, I hope ove I change the Cap's the voltage will be more stable.

I will post more information once a replaced the parts and do more testing.

Thanks again.

PETERpH.

Reactions: 144inBama
Good Evening.

The radio is back on and I HAVE AUDIO, I am still waiting for the Cap's to be replace. Once I replace the TR-38 I have audio modulation.

I have being checking all frequencies and I notice that Channel (1) is on 26.965 MHz then I switch to Channel (40) the frequency is on 27.325 I am missing 8 channels According to the channel chart is channel (32) and Channel 40 it should be 27.405MHz

I have check all the TP points as the alignment required and I did find 9.56v on TP-10 when I try to regulate the voltage from L 21 nothing happened

**** I start checking the channel frequency from channel 1-4 everything is good once I switch to channel 5 the frequency change to channel (2) 26.975 channel 6 is like in channel (3), channel 7 goes to a "26.995" this frequency is NOT on the (40) channels. Channel (8) also switch like is in channel 2 same is channel (5) once I switch the channel (9) is the same is channel (3) etc check the chart below.

Do you guys believed that L 21 has to do with this?

Channels

1.- 26965 11.- 27.005 21.- 27.135
2.- 26975 12.- 27.105 22.- 27.145
3.-26.985 13.- 27.115 23.- 27.255 *******????
4.-27.005 14.- 27.125 24.- 27.155
15.- 27.135
5.- 26.975 16.- 27.155 25.- 27.165
6.- 26.985 17.- 27.165 26.- 27.265*******????
7.- 26.995 ***?? 27.- 27.275
8.- 26.975 18.- 27.135 28.- 27.285
9.- 26.985 19.- 27.145 29.- 27.295
10.- 26.995 20.- 27.165 30.- 27.305

31.- 27.315
32.- 27.325

33.- 27.295
34.- 27.305
35.- 27.315
36.- 27.335

37.- 27.295
38.- 27.305
39.- 27.315
40.- 27.325

Update from last night.

I was able to recover all the channels from 1-40 they are all correct under the frequency chart. However, it does not change the PTT from Channel 13 to channel 2 no audio....

I am little frustrated I really don't know if is word spending so much time in a radio I had for over 15 year.

When Alice goes down the rabbit hole she finds herself in more trouble than she bargained for.

One reason that a tech who uncovers multiple faults hoping for a 'simple' repair uses the expression "Down the Rabbit Hole".

What the effort is worth is entirely up to you.

The combination of excess voltage and decades-old electrolytic capacitors could turn into a list of parts that cause trouble as they break down one by one.

Could.

Reactions: NZ8N
Update from last night.

I was able to recover all the channels from 1-40 they are all correct under the frequency chart. However, it does not change the PTT from Channel 13 to channel 2 no audio....

I am little frustrated I really don't know if is word spending so much time in a radio I had for over 15 year.

When you have this condition...STOP - before you can damage the PLL from excessive voltage on the input pins.

Got a Truth chart?

Something that looks like this - I've got two, but I want to point out something between both...

For the 2816 PLL

PLL2816-TruthChart.jpg

For the MB8719...

upload_2021-1-19_9-13-8.png

Might want to investigate that and compare it to the true logic levels you're encountering.

It sounds more like you have a bad channel switch.

Or a wrong one - review the above carefully. I've seen someone try to take a Cobra 29 channel selector and put it in - in place of the OEM one on a 148 - they don't work - at least, you shouldn't..

There is also the condition of shifted pins off by one - condition - seems it rolls a bank of frequencies all the time until the logic pinout of the BCD changes to the next set of pins - kind of like messing with a 8 pin Switch header, to set program address in the older days of booting and IMSAI / IBM 360 machine coding days.

OR the wiring from the switch to the board, isn't right, shifted over or crossed - in any case slowdown you are encountering a problem that makes the radio stop accepting input PTT or otherwise, because the radio thinks it's out of lock so it won't transmit. You have got a receive to something, but it's not going to let you transmit until whatever condition that is causing this programming problem is cleared.

Andy,
Sounds like Peterph may have owned this unit for some time.

I might would begin replacement of all electrolytics and a full alignment.

David
Yes, I caught that, but one thing I did see - is something I've had show up at the shop before...

Wrong channel selector used...

Programed pins fall into place, but that "4-th detent" - tells me he will have a lot of issues with frequencies - the PLL not keying up, but the pins seem to work - scenario.

Not too many notice that the 29's 2816 or the '66's SM5126 - may use the same selector because they use the same ROM code - but the MB8719, because you use the OTHER SIDE of pins, they are mirrored.

The 8719 has Hex (8 pin) addressing, but the 5126/2816 use OCTAL or Base 6 (6 pin) between both - so the operator only needs the 6 but there's the "detent" used on the shaft to "set" the address to load - so his channel selector doesn't have enough pins to make this functional...or at least the Binary of it - note the Pin 16 of the 8719 versus Pin 1 on 2816/5126 - those pin trains are 01011 01011 - the 2816 is 01010 - the repeating sequence is what I'm seeing...

I'll let this thread go back to you - I know he's working with a lot of age-related problems - but the frequency should shift as normal - it isn't - so I'm suggesting the Channel - if he can program those pins MANUALLY - and get the Channel to work - the PLL is ok, the Selector is not the one programmed to work with the 8719 - even though the pins do seem to make it functional.

Update. I received the caps and replaced them, voltage still a little high, but stable. All the channels that were not working, now they do.
I can see modulation on the Oscilloscope BUT I can't hear anything ONLY white noise. (Soft white noise). I unplug the antena to the dummy load and is the same white noise.
I have check from the TA72222 to TR-43 AGC AMP CI-183, CI-187, TR-19 SSB DET AM AF AMP. I removed all of these ceramic capacitor to check them of the board IC-72, IC-75, IC-71, TR-13, TR-12... everything looks good.

I purchased a Tektronix CFC250 frequency counter for this project and other testing equipment. I recheck everything from what I check last week with the Oscilloscope, everything looks to be normal. At this point I am looking forward to fix it and continue to learning and understanding more of electronics....

Does any have an idea of what could be?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?