• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coiling the coax cable causing problems....a myth or fact?

To go on about the antenna, the current is the main parameter that radiates the energy into the surrounding meduim.
On a base loaded shortened antenna, the current is the greatest at the base above the loading coil and tapers off up the whip to 'near' zero (low value) at the top.
Other configurations just alter this current distribution along the length of the radiator whip such as center loading and top loading.
The voltage distriubtion is about oppisite of the current.
Lastly, the vertical ''''' ANTENNA'''''' is only half of the system.
The metal around it is the other half because the power alternates between the radiating element and the ground structure around it due to capacitive coupling between the whip and the metalic ground near it..
If you were to mount an antenna on a wood structure, you would never get a match proving 'antenna' is only half of the system and needs the other metalic half.
This only applies to vertical type single radiator antennas and certain other configurations that work like a verticles.
Beams, dipoles, loops, quads in vertical or horizontal mountings and 'ground planes with there own radials' are complete as they are made and are only influenced by elevation above ground that changes their feed impedence and radiation angles with height.
Believe it, there is a lot of complex knowledge behind all this such that it is easy to fall prey from the uninformed if you have no knowledge at all.
Like the truck driver hauling a load of birds. He tells you he hits the trailer with a stick to make the bird fly around inside the trailer so the load gets lighter pulling a hill. Sounds good, right! Believe that one and there is another waiting to be told.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I gotta drag this 1 out if the fence row.i had an antenna mounted on back of the air hose slide bar on a t 600 kw.had to buy longer than needed coax. Under the sleeper at rear i made a snug loop like yarn,putting zipties on each end nice n neat then secured it to the floor rail under sleeper.set my swr took 2 setting .it got out great with my galaxy 99v for years.had several say you cant do that. I never got a positive reason why but i quit and left coax as i put it on truck,next driver got the truck,put antenna in my set up n worked for him too.
Is it just me or is lots of these storys about coax a myth? I mean yes run 1000 ft coax might kill power up antenna but 100 ft might be needed and works ok?

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Coiling coax only causes an issue if you don't understand they way coax works. LOL IOW if people THINK it will cause a problem then it WILL cause a problem. People say it acts as an inductor and will limit your RF which proves they do not understand things. Coax is shielded and as such each turn of a coil is shielded from the next turn and the inner conductor is in NO WAY affected. The only RF that gets restricted is what is travelling on the outside of the shield and that is a good thing since it is not supposed to be there. There are some antenna designs that depend on this as part of their tuning however those type of antennas are poorly designed and should be avoided at all costs. IOW a proper antenna design and installation is not affected by coiling up any length of coax other that the added loss from the extra length.

Coiling coax only causes an issue if you don't understand they way coax works. LOL IOW if people THINK it will cause a problem then it WILL cause a problem. People say it acts as an inductor and will limit your RF which proves they do not understand things. Coax is shielded and as such each turn of a coil is shielded from the next turn and the inner conductor is in NO WAY affected. The only RF that gets restricted is what is travelling on the outside of the shield and that is a good thing since it is not supposed to be there. There are some antenna designs that depend on this as part of their tuning however those type of antennas are poorly designed and should be avoided at all costs. IOW a proper antenna design and installation is not affected by coiling up any length of coax other that the added loss from the extra length.
Not to mention it is the best way to get the Common mode noise reduced.

exactly what i thought just what you said. I have to agree 100% with you too. lots are i know bla bla who knows bloblo who knos that golden screwdriver n he knows... How to screw up a radio

I don't see any problem with coiling your coax as long as it doesn't exceed the bend radius of the coax in question. Many of the replies here are bogus, especially the one about it affecting your standing wave ratio. Does he mean an error with the reading?? Pathetic, honestly?

:headbang Man, since when did coiling up something require directions? :whistle:

Captain if you would like I can make a video for you. I'm sure you can use a lesson on coax coil reduction and winding techniques. Just say the word I will soon be set up to take request for videos of obscure techniques of this nature. I will even sweep it with my magic TGen on my SpAnalyzer and post the results.

Last edited:
Captain if you would like I can make a video for you. I'm sure you can use a lesson on coax coil reduction and winding techniques. Just say the word I will soon be set up to take request for videos of obscure techniques of this nature. I will even sweep it with my magic TGen on my SpAnalyzer and post the results.

Well I hope you don't think I need that video. LOL It's pretty basic how to roll up excess cable however there is indeed a way to roll up shielded microphone cables and it is NOT around your elbow. That tends to shatter the braid after a while with repeated use.

I was told many Moons ago, that this is a myth. Yeah you probably shouldn't coil up coax it tight coils, but rather lay the excess in lazy 8 configuration as large as you can. Then again maybe this is BS also. Bottom line, I've never had a problem doing it this way, so I will continue to do so.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated