• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Craziest swr question ever??

D. koenig

Nov 28, 2021
Hi everyone, here is the most puzzling issue I ever encountered. I just bought a lp-100A watt meter and I checked my output and swr with a dummy load in line with amp on. My swr on ch1 - ch20 - and ch40 are all 1.1 now when I put my antenna in line, my swr on ch1 - and ch40 are low, 1.1 BUT....on ch20 it climbs over 4.0, on a dead key....but...if I audio check the swr then drops down to 1.1. I am stumped on what this is all about. If the amp is off, the swr is low on all 3 test channels. But like I mentioned if the dummy load is in line I dont have this problem. Any ideas???? Thank you.

harmonics from amp,,, should check swr without amp on and if good then ya shouldnt have a worry,
Yes sir, they are at 1.1 with it off. And 1.1 with it on but going into a dummy load. Only when the antenna is in line and amp on is when 20 is very high swr. But antenna still in line and amp off, swr is good.

Have you checked the antenna coax/ mounting? Bad coax can cause all kinds of crazy readings and issues.
Yes I actually upgraded the coax from lmr 240 to lmr 400 and check the continuity and is good. So I did my best to cover all my ground so I wouldn't have issues. But got one anyway. Go figure. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: 144inBama
Check your coax jumpers to be sure the connection between the shield braid and the plug is secure. If you can twist the cable any amount where it comes out the rear of the plug this suggests a questionable connection that can cause stability problems.

This is about the only external fault I know that can get you that symptom. All the other possible causes are inside the amplifier. More than one way to make a RF amplifier unstable.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated