• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE-8900 And Beyond:Ongoing Discussions

Lack of noise filtering caused by poor design in the radio. I had a CRE-8900 for a couple weeks, did the same thing in both my cars. The cars are a Lincoln Town Car and a Mercedes Benz S430. I put a President P300 in my Lincoln and a Cobra 146GTL in my Mercedes, and never had issues again. Got rid of the radio shortly after.

~Cheers~

Lack of noise filtering caused by poor design in the radio. I had a CRE-8900 for a couple weeks, did the same thing in both my cars. The cars are a Lincoln Town Car and a Mercedes Benz S430. I put a President P300 in my Lincoln and a Cobra 146GTL in my Mercedes, and never had issues again. Got rid of the radio shortly after.

~Cheers~

Ouch! Still gonna try the chokes and maybe a cap across the terminals. The rfi is being broadcast and my antenna is picking up the noise. Other than that it's a quiet radio.

CRE, Anytone, MAAS, Maxlog or whatever you want to call them, are all junk.

Optima or 29XX flavors are your best bet currently. I'm waiting on the AT-6666, but it'll likely smell just as bad. I'm only talking about current production stuff. The old standards are still a good choice. I run an old Uniden PC122Xl in my mobile. Has a Galaxy Expo with clarifier mod. Quiet as a mouse and works like a champ.

Now, you'll have certain fanboys dispute my claim. That's all well and good.

CRE, Anytone, MAAS, Maxlog or whatever you want to call them, are all junk.

Optima or 29XX flavors are your best bet currently. I'm waiting on the AT-6666, but it'll likely smell just as bad. I'm only talking about current production stuff. The old standards are still a good choice. I run an old Uniden PC122Xl in my mobile. Has a Galaxy Expo with clarifier mod. Quiet as a mouse and works like a champ.

Now, you'll have certain fanboys dispute my claim. That's all well and good.

Thanks
I was thinking of something a little more upscale but quality made. A keeper.
The Mobile Radio Store has the Optima MK2's.
Only two things on my ride(Chevy Tracker read cheap)make noise. The condenser fan motor(a replacement)& wiper motor. I've already ordered the rf chokes from DX Engineering and could stop by Radio Shack and get a couple of .01UF caps to put across both offender's terminals.

I want to get my $300 worth out of my 8900 though.
It's just two noisy motors I have to contend with. Other than that the 8900surpasses the 959 in spades. The replacement condenser fan motor isn't a AC/Delco brand. I tend save money where I need to.

Last edited:
Thanks
I was thinking of something a little more upscale but quality made. A keeper.
The Mobile Radio Store has the Optima MK2's.
Only two things on my ride(Chevy Tracker read cheap)make noise. The condenser fan motor(a replacement)& wiper motor. I've already ordered the rf chokes from DX Engineering and could stop by Radio Shack and get a couple of .01UF caps to put across both offender's terminals.

I want to get my $300 worth out of my 8900 though.
It's just two noisy motors I have to contend with. Other than that the 8900surpasses the 959 in spades. The replacement condenser fan motor isn't a AC/Delco brand. I tend save money where I need to.

why look at the mk2 when you can have a new optima MK3 for only $10 more.

A bypass capacitor is one which is in parallel with the DC line. Typically between the + line feeding in or out of a device, and ground. A typical bypass cap would be .01uF

You're talking about the flat disc type caps?
Camaro 1,if I can nip the noise problem in the bud ten I'm keeping my 8900. $10 more? Do you own one and how does it perform?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.