• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE-8900 And Beyond:Ongoing Discussions

A/C Condenser Fan noise solution.

Okay. I finally put a 1uF 250V 10% Metallized film capacitor on my car's A/C condenser fan power leads. I was wanting to do it the hard way which would've involved removing the fan assembly and soldering a cap unto the fan power leads next to the fan motor housing. I said foo on that and unplugged the fan motor,took my knife and pierced each wire all the way through,stuck the cap leads in said holes,wrapped the cap leads around the fan leads and squeezed the holes shut,and wrapped electrical tape to seal it. It works!
Now to bond the exhaust system to ground to take care of the electro-mechanical engine sensor noise and firing impulse noise. One down. One more to go.
I'm enjoying my radio with A/C even more now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Genuine Made in Japan NIB Vecor inline SWR/FS meter. Good for up to 1 KW. Looks like my Midland meter. Bought it off of Ebay. It's got the same type case finish as the Midland. Works too!

Reason I bought it is because the midland's meter lens is broke off along with a screwed up needle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 6
Orange box with 'CB or Ham Field Strength Indicator and Standing Wave Bridge'
Made by Vidaire Electronics Mfg. Corp. Freeport N.Y.
Made in Japan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
simple 2018 if ya wnt echeo
577 by rflimited if no echeo
bu i really like the 2018 even though i dont use the echeo

Yep. I'm presently using the 2018 Xtreme. I do have a trb 2 kit but someone on Ebay has some Top Gun Modulator MD-1's for $12. I would have to send it back to DTB to install and tune one of those.
I have other radio candidates.
1. CRE-8900
2. Galaxy DX-959
3. Realistic TRC-428
4. ". "422A
5. ". 421A
6. Midland 1001Z
7. Uniden PRO505 XL
8. GE 3-5813 B
9. Stay tuned.......

I'm thinking about modding my 8900's stock mic. I saw on a YouTube video how that the guy had a mic for a Wouzan. The audio sounded muffled because the itty bitty he for the mic element was misaligned. He removed the mic cartridge and drilled a bigger mic hole. He left just enough material to keep the mic from falling out the front of the mic case. He used a hot glue gun to re-secure the mic element back into it's housing. The results were clearer audio.
Here's the video I referred to.
Modify your cheap Chinese HT Speaker Mike for better audio - AF5DN - YouTube

Just realized what the big set of holes are for in my 8900's mic case. It looks like it made to house a speaker for different model radios.
People say my audio is muffled and bassy when I use my stock mic plus I have to watch how u speak into the mic as it picks up breath noise.
Looking at the pic of my stock 8900 hand mic you'll see a itty bitty hole in the upper right quadrant. That's for the mic element. The rest of the holes are for a speaker.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Just bought a NIB Antron A99 sans lock washers from a local CB'er for $60. I wanted something to do me for the time being and to upgrade from the SS 1/4 wave whip on my tower. The A99's base will be mounted 36' high and will be 100 yards from my nearest neighbor. 110' RG8X coax and a MFJ-915 isolation choke. I'll still be running a 4 watt dead key on my base station. I'm hoping that it won't interfere on my neighbor'a stuff. I run right around 100% modulation on my DTB tuned 959. I'm guessing that I won't need the ground radial kit for the A99. The deep fringe vertically stacked twin tv antennas will be at the A99' base.
Any suggestions?

P.S. I'll use NO-OX-ID on the connections and tape them up. Also what lobe pattern can I expect at that height?
I need to get 3/8" & 1/2" lock washers as well as a couple of U-Bolt clamps.
I see where a RF choke needs to be added 18-24" below the antenna feed point. The coax choke itself will be an 8" dia. By 8 turns. This will negate the need for the ground radial kit.
I would like to lower the TOA somehow. Maybe a ground radial kit would come in handy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.