• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE-8900 And Beyond:Ongoing Discussions

The A99 is described as a 1-2 wave end fed dipole. According to this "A99 exposed" article,I don't see the other half if the antenna except for the very short piece if coax that runs from the So-239 connector to the capacitive coupler. I say that it would need properly tuned ground radials to function properly,to give the A99 the other half so to speak. I would go so far to say that it's not even a dipole and is marginally better than my 1/4 wave SS whip I'm presently using. If anybody knows more then educate me or at least point me in the right direction.

P.S. I'm thinking about adding ground radials to lower it's TOA.
I'm also as a side project want to experiment with my X-Dipole antenna,preferably adding a reflector or driven elements to it.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ham-radio-manuals/a99.pdf

I'm thinking that I can use a ground plane wether it's Solarcon's ground plane kit or a home brew one on my A99. According to w8ji's evaluation on end fed vertical antennas,a RF choke would probably not be useful but to at least have some sort if ground plane directly under the driven element and electrically connected to the antenna's coax braid shield connection point. Four elevated ground radials not exceeding 1/4 wave by much should be used along with electrically isolating the antenna's base and ground plane from the mast. Also,the feed line should be cut for proper length in electrically half wave increments to minimize CMC. A proper antenna height should be selected for proper lobe pattern as to provide for maximum gain preferably around 8 degrees from the horizon and be located away from trees and other obstacles.
I wonder if the A99 would work decently using a large tv antenna as a ground plane?
Counterpoise Systems

Okay,I took apart my CRE-8900's stock hand mic to spray some Radio Shack cleaner and lube spray into the PTT switch. That fixed the dirty contacts and works better than new. I also drilled a bigger hole into the mic front face cover to make my voice sound better and less wind noise. The stock mic hole is 1/16" dia. I drilled it out to 3/16". The mic element was easy to remove from it's mounting position as it has a black foam sleeve surrounding it which snugs it into place and isn't hot glued in like the ht radio mic's do. I'm pleased with the results.

I figured if this mod worked for the guy in this video it would work for me.
http://youtu.be/Mqqj_4OFpCA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I also replaced the stock Road Devil mic cord with a premium mic cord from GI JOE'S: CB RADIO - CB RADIO ANTENNA - SCANNER - CELLULAR
I had already un soldered the mic cord leads from the circuit board in the RD's head and soldered the new cord leads when I realized that the red wire at the mic plug had popped off due to me not soldering it properly to start with when I wired the Road Devil for the CRE-8900. This is where a helping hands solder jig would've come in real handy. Well,I took my time this time and properly tinned all the wire leads and contact posts and did it right. I even used the strain relief from the old mic cord and carefully wrapped it around #6 mic plug pin in order to isolate that pin from everything else. #6 pin on the 8900 has 12+ volts on it.
No sizzelean for me. :D

I've noticed that on my Astatic Road Devil mic I bought recently,the PPT switch spring seems to be getting weak and won't unkept fully to the receive mode thus no audio. Has anybody experienced this problem?
I don't have this problem with the Road Devil I bought several months ago for my CRE-8900. That one's spring is still in good condition.

Last CRE-8900 Tune Up Report

Well,according to this Bells CB tune up report,the CRE-8900 will no longer be imported to the USA. So if anybody wants to buy one,get them now. DTB Radio sells them. CRE 8900, DTB Radio's Webstore
Bells CB web store http://www.bellscb.com/products/tenmeter/CRE_8900.htm
Here's a Bells CB 'last' tune up report on the CRE-8900
CRE 8900 Tune-up Report for Robert - YouTube

Note: this Bells CB YouTube video was made in 3/13 but the CRE-8900 is sti being sold at this time.

Last edited:
I've noticed that on my Astatic Road Devil mic I bought recently,the PPT switch spring seems to be getting weak and won't unkept fully to the receive mode thus no audio. Has anybody experienced this problem?
I don't have this problem with the Road Devil I bought several months ago for my CRE-8900. That one's spring is still in good condition.

Update:sprayed it with contact cleaner and lube. That fixed it however the RD on my 8900 has a better PTT switch.

Astatic Road Devil vs. Stock hand mic.

I'm using my 8900 in my base station setup. Last night I talked to to the locals as well as others 35 miles away,DX contacts included. I then switched mic's from the Road Devil I normally use to my modified(bigger mic element hole) 8900 hand mic. A local ham 12 miles away said that I sounded louder with the stock hand mic. I was sitting there trying to put two and two together there(Road Devil vs. stock hand mic). The stock hand mic has one of those pill sized mic elements that I'm assuming is an electret. On a side note,my Uniden BC645 mic has an electret mic element in it and will work on my 8900 and Uniden 505 but not work on my Galaxy DX-959(still learning).
So,since I'm using the 8900 as a base setup,I used the talkback to hear the difference between my stock hand mic and the Road Devil. While the RD has a higher gain,it doesn't accentuate the lower tones but does on the high tones in my voice. The stock hand mic has a warmer, mellower sound reproduction with the highs rolled off.

I said all of this because I'm wondering if a CR577 might be more practical in providing good audio quality sound. Either that or I might go ahead and purchase a Shure studio mic to go along with the Art Tube MP mic preamplifier. Or,would anyone know how to add high tones to the 8900's stock mic element?

Note:I don't like the Road Devil's lack of bass and mid tone but I don't like the stock hand mic's roll off of high frequencies either.

Note: Those 35 miles away had no trouble hearing me on my stock hand mic.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.