• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE-8900 And Beyond:Ongoing Discussions

Since a normal half-wave dipole is approximately 70 ohms, or so, a standard 1:1 balun should do fine. Make sure it's a current balun (MFJ, Radio Works sells them).

Thanks. I have a MFJ-915 that I can install inline. MFJ says that I can use that or wire a air core rf choke. I'll have to find out what diameter and how many turns. I'm using 8x coax with a .77 vf.

Since a normal half-wave dipole is approximately 70 ohms, or so, a standard 1:1 balun should do fine. Make sure it's a current balun (MFJ, Radio Works sells them).

Thanks. I have a MFJ-915 that I can install inline. MFJ says that I can use that or wire a air core rf choke. I'll have to find out what diameter and how many turns. I'm using 8x coax with a .78 vf.

Thanks. I have a MFJ-915 that I can install inline. MFJ says that I can use that or wire a air core rf choke. I'll have to find out what diameter and how many turns. I'm using 8x coax with a .77 vf.
Nope, that MFJ-915 is a line isolator, and won't do the job. Same for those coax chokes. Those are simple common mode chokes and are not baluns. I recommend the MFJ-918 for your dipole application.

Reactions: 1 person
Nope, that MFJ-915 is a line isolator, and won't do the job. Same for those coax chokes. Those are simple common mode chokes and are not baluns. I recommend the MFJ-918 for your dipole application.

Thanks. The dipole mount has a SO-239 connection point on it. I would upload the photo of it but MFJ restricts people from using their images. Here's the link with the pic and description
MFJ Enterprises Inc.

MFJ reviews:looks like you can build a set of beams out of the dipole mounts by using two or more dipole mounts
MFJ Enterprises Inc.
Never mind the negative ones.
You can use fiberglass antenna sticks tuned for different lengths and not just the venerable 102" stainless steel whip either. MFJ sells a stainless steel 108" whip as well

Last edited:
Hmmm.... OK. You really don't need a balun, unless you're anal retentive about balance and perfect patterns. With that gizmo, I wouldn't worry about a balun. Yup, run that MFJ-915 in line, and it should be OK.

Hmmm.... OK. You really don't need a balun, unless you're anal retentive about balance and perfect patterns. With that gizmo, I wouldn't worry about a balun. Yup, run that MFJ-915 in line, and it should be OK.

My question is:do they make make a balun for this but since it's a balanced to balanced as long as the antenna elements are tune for the right freq center,...
The center of 11 meters comes to 8.66 feet for each dipole element.

I should've put a disclaimer in. If you use the CW,it's too slow, talkback needs fixed so that it turns completely off. Otherwise it's a nice radio for phone communications.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.