• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

I wired my road devil the same way and am also having the two second delay in transmit after keying up mentioned. Anyone have any alternative wiring suggestions to fix this issue?

Thanks

Yep. CB Radio Magazine came out with a cure. He said to solder a 1K resistor to audio and shield where the mic cord attaches to the mic circuit board.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/export-radios/151147-power-microphone-radio-key-up-audio-delay-issue.html
In the review he used a 670 ohm resistor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Got my CRE 8900 back from the shop this morning. It went in to have the annoying talkback issue and the CW sidetone buffering delay fixed under warranty.

The talkback issue is fixed. I no longer hear anything with TB turned off in the menu.

The sidetone still has a noticeable delay that makes CW useless.

Bummer, I was hoping to have a little mobile for CW work. I'm going to email CRE. Hopefully, they can get the engineers to address this in later versions if there are any.

Got my CRE 8900 back from the shop this morning. It went in to have the annoying talkback issue and the CW sidetone buffering delay fixed under warranty.

The talkback issue is fixed. I no longer hear anything with TB turned off in the menu.

Bummer, I was hoping to have a little mobile for CW work. I'm going to email CRE. Hopefully, they can get the engineers to address this in later versions if there are any.

How is it delaying?

talk back

Any idea what they did to fix the talkback issue?

I don't know exactly what he did. I do know he was waiting on the factory to send him instructions. That's why he had it as long as he did. It was in during the Chinese new year.

I still can't find it, but I had a TB fix that I found on one of the European boards. It might have been Transmission1, not sure. Anyways, that fix involved cutting a trace. Dave (DD18) might have the file. I don't know if this was what Key CB did or not. My TB still functions when you turn it on though. Just can't hear yourself like before when it was off.

This issue must be different between radios. Mine was barely noticeable on AM, but absolutely atrocious on SSB. It didn't matter where the mic gain was set.
The tech at Key CB is very friendly and seems very knowledgeable. He had his own theoretical fix for the issue. So, I don't know if he went rogue or followed the engineers advice. I don't care what he did, it's fixed, lol.

He may share if asked.

I'll keep searching for that PDF I had. Not like me to lose stuff like that.

The CW issue is kind of a bummer. I really like the radio so that more than makes up for the CW loss. Can't beat the transmit audio.

You know you can use that same hot mic pin to power the up/down and ASQ providing that you wire it up correctly in a Road Devil mic

Lil'Yeshua have you checked into the channel up/dn switching yet? I have my road devil working good but really miss the channel buttons. I was thinking about getting some switches from radio shack and looking into adding them. You think the up/dn needs the power from pin 6?

Don't quote me but I think it does. You would have to look at the stock mic circuit board to see where the up/dn positions go to. And no I haven't checked into it yet. I'm still piffed of at the road devil wanting to make the radio make ugly squeal noises. It did'nt do that until I run the ground from the volt reg to the mic/shield ground. On a good note,my stock mic is working better and not trying to unkey itself. On CBTricks for the 8900 you'll see the mic pinout. It has a Better description of what goes where.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?