• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Damn boys, we’re famous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A receiver that hot on receive will get blown out by a strong signal, or oscillate making it useless.
I do not doubt the power of the SITH PIMP!

It’s a very weak tone that’s heard, it’s barely noticeable but you can hear it there with the high cut on. And I don’t doubt that’ll have an excessively strong receive on strong signals. I just wanted to throw it in that what he said is wrong, and this isn’t the only one I’ve seen this way.

Reactions: Rwb
Yes. Testing on my service monitor. Also verified on another generator I have as well.

It’s very weak though, barely noticeable. Doesn’t even register on the S meter.

Ah come on... both of you... have a little fun.

You're right.
Being too serious is a malady of mine. Just ask Captain.
Hold on. . . more breaking news!

Apparently a portal was discovered sometime yesterday in a thread titled Damn boys, we're famous! located at an obscure website titled WWDX.

Scientists are urging thrillseekers take caution as the full effects of time travel are not known at this time. However, all indications are the scrambling of one's brain is almost a certainty. o_O

You're right.
Being too serious is a malady of mine. Just ask Captain.
Hold on. . . more breaking news!

Apparently a portal was discovered sometime yesterday in a thread titled Damn boys, we're famous! located at an obscure website titled WWDX.

Scientists are urging thrillseekers take caution as the full effects of time travel are not known at this time. However, all indications are the scrambling of one's brain is almost a certainty. o_O

Haha, ok... I get the point. Sometimes it’s fun to be a kid again.

Reactions: Rwb and Riverman
There has been a YT vid or two about "I can hear down to here - there - and everywhere" and it's all relative - because we are talking mico-volts uV, not milli - mV.

Knowing most drivers run with the ANL/NB on full tilt, they'd rather hear the guy their talking to thru the filtering the radio can do, not just being heard at shot-noise levels the receivers' own Signal to Noise ratios are concerned.

So in a way, stock and this low, equates to a level the between two truck or the kid down the street - doesn't mean all that much.

But to those so inclined, if you can get selectivity like that as well....you'd have something that would get some attention.

In advertising - between you and Tellmans' comment about blown out - theres' your crux...can't get one without the other taking a sacrifice. Because for those signals - relies on their spectral purity and bandwidth used. And throw these results out the window - which goes back full circle to the drivers that just want to hear the guy their talking to with all that noise filtered out.

Reactions: Rwb and kaos513
Well as I’ve stated before, I certainly don’t know it all and I’m hear to learn as well as help somebody.

-121dbm is an S1, right? -73dbm is an S9?

So -124 isn’t totally out of question here, is it? It’s faint, weak, I mean you have to really listen to hear that tone over the static/white noise but it’s there. If it were someone talking I doubt you’d hear and it certainly wouldn’t break the automatic squelch on that radio.

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. I can admit that.

I am sure you guys know this but the radio and generator are in a more or less closed system, too.

I have a 955, turned on a generator and went as low as .04uV and still could hear the tone barely at 30%
I THINK I can hear it at .03 but I know I can at .04 and with no noise blankers or anl.

No idea what the SINAD of that is, but it's not worth speculating because if you can barely hear a tone you are not going to hear a person.

These are reasonable levels and expected considering the thermal noise floor on radio like this is probably right around .04uV anyway.

Honestly I don't think it can really be improved enough to matter.
At this point you have to start doing active power supply filtering and PLL redesign to improve phase noise to eek out.. what... a fraction of a dB or a few microvolts?

I know he isn't doing any of this.

-121dbm is an S1, right? -73dbm is an S9?

By IARU recommendations, yes.

So -124 isn’t totally out of question here, is it? It’s faint, weak, I mean you have to really listen to hear that tone over the static/white noise but it’s there. If it were someone talking I doubt you’d hear and it certainly wouldn’t break the automatic squelch on that radio.

Totally reasonable.
On the radio I have here the tone is quite good at that level.
I am getting a SINAD meter in a few but if I had to guess on my 955 it sounds like it's at least an 8 to 10 but my hearing may deceive me. I will wait for the instrument.

Would love to hang around learn the difference between a S5 and "You're not that great on the meter, but my wife says you sound just like Uncle Hank. And he's a loud son-of-a-gun," but I need to return to my search for the perfect antenna. ;) Bye, all.

@TRPC - that's what I meant by Relative. You can hear it, but it may not be able to be discerned by all those whom place their systems in a similar setup.

So you're fine but people that don't know these things are the culpable ones that can part with their hard earned $$$ faster because of such claims.

The sad thing is, many of the radios' I have repaired - they have far better ANL and NB figures that to listen for noise at a level that most stations simply do not have ambient conditions for. They simply cannot hear of such low levels available anymore. I mean, there's just too much noise out there masking such signals and in a way those very signals are why we have such a noise level in the first place.

@Martian - SPOT ON!

Yes and IARU is exactly what Mike was speaking of when he said that an S9 was -73 as well. Yet the Sherminator and John Connor Jr are saying he’s wrong for it.

I can hear it but I don’t know if it’s an 8-10 on sinad. I guess I could’ve hooked it up completely and seen what the service monitor said but then, the credibility of the equipment comes into play. Or mine would because I’m using the exact same monitor that Hard Drive uses.

@TRPC - that's what I meant by Relative. You can hear it, but it may not be able to be discerned by all those whom place their systems in a similar setup.

So you're fine but people that don't know these things are the culpable ones that can part with their hard earned $$$ faster because of such claims.

The sad thing is, many of the radios' I have repaired - they have far better ANL and NB figures that to listen for noise at a level that most stations simply do not have ambient conditions. They simply cannot hear of such low levels available anymore. I mean, there's just too much noise out there masking such signals and in a way those very signals are why we have such a noise level in the first place.

@Martian - SPOT ON!

10-4. I didn’t mean to make it sound like it was a super signal, he just said the radio didn’t hear any lower and claimed there was no tone there but there is. I took that as more of his “I can make it better” when in fact he’s not and can’t.

I am using an E4433B to generate the signal.
Cable is just a piece of RG8X. nothing fancy. ~2 feet long or so.

They are saying it's wrong yet calling these "Amateur radios" which I think is wrong.
They are designed as CB radios.
If they are "Amateur radios" why would you not use the IARU recommendation?

That's what they do. Pick something to fit the narrative.
"Follow the service manual" is the mantra BUT only until it's time to do the "magic tune" then it's "follow my standard".

Do as I say, not as I do.

I am getting a SINAD meter in a few but if I had to guess on my 955 it sounds like it's at least an 8 to 10 but my hearing may deceive me. I will wait for the instrument.

What I thought was an 8 to 10 was actually around a 6. This is why you don't try to ballpark this by ear. You can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.