• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Deadkey vs swing

it turns out i have a 510xl laying around here, so i looked inside and if your board is the same, these component numbers should give you what you are after.

L9 is the tuning coil to adjust to peak the driver stage.
L6 is the coil to adjust to peak the final stage.

do not spread or compress L5 and L4 as they are the "trap" coils we were talking about earlier.

D7 is your anti-spiking diode and this is the place to add rectifier diodes (1N4003) in series to lower the deadkey.

i suppose you could also do the paralleled electrolytic cap and resistor thing here instead, but i have never done it.
it should work fine, but i cant say for sure.
LC

I just dropped off a well worn Uniden 520XL to Bob from Bob's CB off Exit 70 I-80 in Penna. If it is not too DOA, I left instructions to repair and peak and tune to Bob's specifications. It was crackling when the power was turned off. Anyway if the 520 can be resuscitated then I will post what the end tunning result will be. I am sure the Bob will do a proper tuning to the max the radio can do and still sound reasonable. Bob tuned a 510 for my father in the past. He put a preset RF limited "Big Radio Sound." board in it. If I remember correctly the best these can do is 5w swing to 20w. A cap on the mic input will let you use a dynamic stock mic and sound good.

it turns out i have a 510xl laying around here, so i looked inside and if your board is the same, these component numbers should give you what you are after.

L9 is the tuning coil to adjust to peak the driver stage.
L6 is the coil to adjust to peak the final stage.

do not spread or compress L5 and L4 as they are the "trap" coils we were talking about earlier.

D7 is your anti-spiking diode and this is the place to add rectifier diodes (1N4003) in series to lower the deadkey.

i suppose you could also do the paralleled electrolytic cap and resistor thing here instead, but i have never done it.
it should work fine, but i cant say for sure.
LC

YOU DA MAN!! I will be opening that 510 tonight to make sure I didnt do nothing to the other coil... You would happen to know anything about Royce 680's? Would ya?

It seems to me there should be some clarification here between the coils (inductors) used for impedance matching and the inductor used for the 54 MHz trap. The first RF inductor off the final collector is to match the low collector output impedance to 50 ohms. It is correct to adjust this inductor for maximum PEP output and this will not increase harmonics. The second inductor is just a simple 54 MHz trap and should never be adjusted without the ability to measure a reduction in RF content at 54 MHz.

Good point. I will admit to being under the impression that Simbalage22 went haywire on any and all coils in the output stages as is all too often the case. I don't even want to think about all the broken ferrite cores I tried to replace after someone took a small jeweler's screwdriver to them. :censored:

Good point. I will admit to being under the impression that Simbalage22 went haywire on any and all coils in the output stages as is all too often the case. I don't even want to think about all the broken ferrite cores I tried to replace after someone took a small jeweler's screwdriver to them. :censored:

Well as not usually the case appearently ALL over the net its WRONG
Power Tweek and Modulation

There are 2 ways that I found to work.

1) Cut or remove D14 which is the modulation limiter. Re-tune L4, L5, L6, L9 for
maximum RF forward output.

If the modulation is to much, do it this way:

2) Change the 2.7ohm resister in front of the final bias resister (15 ohm w/RF bead) to a
.47 ohm. Re-solder or replace D14. Re-tune L4, L5, L6, L9 for maximum forward
RF output. If you damage D14, you can use a 1N914 to replace it.

VR1 Squelch
VR2 TX Meter
VR3 RX Meter
VR4 RX IF Gain

So I did mess with the wrong ones on this, as other radios i have done didnt have these.. However the most change was from L5 which is what makes this radio scream.. and its clear! Go figure.. We learn something new everyday

Yet from ANOTHER site... 1.Cut D14 Audio Limiter. 2.Tune L6 and L5 for max swing.

So this is really unusual..

Yet another

1. Locate the 2.7 ohm resistor in front of the final bias resistor(15 Ohm w/RF bead) and change it to a .47 Ohm. (DO NOT change the 15 Ohm resistor!!)
2. Re-tune L9,L6,L5,L4 for maximum forward power.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODULATION
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cut D14
AM POWER: L6,L5
VR1: Squelch
VR2: TX meter
VR3: RX meter
VR4: RX IF gain

Last edited:
now I hijacked my own thread LOL.. back tomy question yet still relating to the 510.. if I do set the deakey to 2w for an amp.. Would I notice a big drop in quality barefoot, Or would I actually benefit from the aditional swing? 2-10 or so.. vs 4-10 or so

yeah, gotta be careful with mod info on the net.

just put L5 and L4 back the way you found them and re-peak L9 and L6.
you should be fine.

the difference between a 2 and a 4 watt deadkey will be around a half an S-unit or so.
not that much difference.

you could always make it switchable so you can have the radio set at either 2 or 4 watts deadkey.

just switch the resistance you add to D7 in and out of the circuit.
LC

get you a class c amp (a stroker 2 driving 2 will do) and set the radio to make it dead key 10 watts and swing to about 400-500 watts on your bird meter (it has to be a bird) and youll be half way there . the next step it to get a Mauldulator so you have the asymmetrical modulation and then youll be top shelf , 10-8 and just a getting it , walking the dog and spankin the cat , blowing smoke ....... and stuff like dat . ;)

Christ.

Your satire / this thread is the perfect example of why I gave up on CB.

-Richard-

Remember where you started just like many hams. You were not born with all the answers. We all have to learn someplace.

This is true but some people just plain refuse to learn because facts get in the way of what they were told by someone else that was considered God of the CB world.

Yeah, I learned pretty quick.

Clipped limiters and 15,000% modulation with 4 billion watts of swing is pretty ridiculous.

Instead of wasting money on squeezing ten worthless watts of power, and turboecho5k boards out of civilian-grade radios, I'm going to get an MXL 990 condenser mic + mixer + digital signal processor for my Yaesu FT101EE and call it a day.

Maybe I'll stop by 27.385mhz for a little bit so you can hear the sweet, sweet sound of my voice. :tongue:

-Richard-

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated