• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Design or modify a radio...wishlist thread.

I would want something like a 2950. A low power radio. I’d add in control for an external amplifier: a button on the face to toggle the amp on/off, an internal keying circuit, all communicated through a patch cord. At the other end would be an amp with (4) 2879s. As we are in dreamland, the finals would be Toshibas. Total output in the 400 watt range.

I would chose for mine to not smell like a night after tacos.

90ABB7ED-3D96-4587-A0B8-DE1ECA0E25D5.jpeg

Motorola 550. An example.

Larger meter, decent backlight of controls, and maybe a few upgrades as you others think appropriate.

A family friend as I was growing up was associated with Motorola. My Dad had a radiotelephone of theirs in his car after 1962. So the brand has meaning. Always thought highly of it.

Other family friends with Collins, TI, etc, well, it was avionics and space tech. Wandered far away from local yokels.

I look at that model above and think, “”yeah, I should scratch a note somewhere to remember to clean it off and check connections between Presidential elections”.

That it’s cast iron. Keeps on ticking. Energizer Bunny. Cobwebs on the Maytag Repairman. Etc.

So, linear, quality controls. A great mic. Dealer to set up rig that it all sounds great together. (What I’d like to imagine is the two-way professional service nowadays).

Would I be willing to pay for it? Ha! Of course. I can screw around with odd & sundry gear, but I’d want (as with cars, etc) to have the kind of long-term relation that keeps equipment in best shape.

Entry-level (almost) HAM gear (quality, not features).

Performance should be the reason a guy wants one. Mobile or as a base, the bar has to be raised high (for a guy new to any radio) in order to get past what it can do.

“Does it matter”, old greybeard asks, “ if you spend $$$ versus $?”

The radio above (and the advice mobile or otherwise) should make it EVERYONES recommendation in mind for any but the blind or broke when a new guy shows up.

The used market might have several levels of condition: Cosmetic, Minor and Major. Even a slow 14-yr old would know the basis of those values in that other world-line.

A Model T. Singer Sewing Machine. Westinghouse table fan. Philco All American Five Kitchen Radio. Winchester ‘86.

Now, just imagine the special supplemental JC Whitney catalog. HeathKit add-ons.

Center lower dash glovebox in cars makes a comeback. Drop-down lid.

Radio contest class: Stock and Unlimited.

And let’s simplify the name. Few syllables. Enter it into common slang.

High school Electronics shop class dissection & rebuild. (Screw them nasty frogs or piglets in Biology makes The RealPorkchop salivate . . . sorry, couldn’t resist).

(Thanks for the thread).

Last edited:
Hmmm, how about Uniden Grant Xl ( just kinda stuck on the look), ham quality, frequency counter, frequency capabilities 26.400-28.000, dual clarifier, remote head would be interesting.

A 9C1 Nova with a Goodwrench HT383 & 4L70? Sure!

Though it might be more fun to have one of Bob Norwood’s V8-540 cid first gen Cadillac Seville’s (same Nova chassis) with that 9C1 gear upgraded

“Little Old (rich) Lady from Pasadena”

Reactions: S&W357 and Rwb
Do away with ALL export junk. So much poor designing in exports.... from noisy RX, to overheated output/PA sections, to bad IF mixing stages, there just isn't anything good about them. Get rid of them entirely.

For CB's, go back to leaded solder so they are more reliable in a mobile, less prone to failed solder joints. Re-design the clarifier circuits for increased stability. Want a blueprint for all this? Go back to the late 1970's and early 1980's. Far better QC, better TX and RX, and far better frequency stability.

Wishful thinking, though.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.