• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DROANS AT JFK

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
I'm not sure what frequency theses droans operate on but if my memory serves me right the r/c's used to operate on a frequency close to 27 mhz.
Those were the one's that were used when I was a kid in the 70"s. I'mnot surr if those frequencys have changed.
I don't understand why this government with it's superior technology can't easily track the source of the singnal and where the operator of that droan is?Or better yet send out a sweeping pulse type signal every few seconds that would interpupt any frequency capable of of operating these droans. Which would render the person operating droans and it's transmitter non functional?

Our government breaks or bends it's oe n rules daily. I would think thr chances of bringing down a jet with hundreds of people on board would be no problem for the government to jam or some how interrupt thrse droan operating signals in minutes if they we ant too. Unfoutainatly they'll wait u ntill as jet i sdd brought downin order to act.
couple of reasons,..... for starters,...........that would be against both FCC and FAA regulations

The 27 MHz band was never suggested for RC aircraft, especially since it was AM and adjacent to CB. I think in 1991 the FCC mandated narrow band AM, FM, or other digital mode (PCM) radios be used. My drone operates on two point four gigaherts.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
The 27 MHz band was never suggested for RC aircraft, especially since it was AM and adjacent to CB. I think in 1991 the FCC mandated narrow band AM, FM, or other digital mode (PCM) radios be used. My drone operates on two point four gigaherts.

Exactly. Some older RC gear was on 72 MHz or thereabouts and most all now is in the 2.4 GHz range to allow for wider bandwidths required by the digital signals.

2.4ghz and 5.8ghz as well is what the quad copters or what some call drones use. 5.8ghz is mostly used for fpv but a company called DJI that makes quad copters, the DJI Vision I believe it is, that the transmitter uses 5.8ghz and the fpv uses 2.4ghz. But most if not all newer ones being used run 2.4ghz transmitters and use 5.8ghz for fpv. They have ways of boosting signal just like we do. Neat stuff. Almost got into it. This hobby hit 1st lol. Can't afford too many hobbies as they get expensive!!!

The earliest RC systems operated on the "A" channels of the 27 mhz cb band. I remember my Dad building and flying RC model planes back in the late 50s. As I recall, the RC receiver operated a relay that controlled the rudder of the plane. No other surfaces on the plane were controlled. The transmitter and receiver were made by Citizen Ship Corp. - Indianapolis Indiana.
When we flew the planes, they were hand-launched and climbed until the fuel ran out (usually a couple of minutes). Then the plane would simply glide around in circles. The back of the rear aileron assembly was held down by a small rubber band. After several minutes, a slow-burning fuse burned through the band, the aileron would pop up at a 45 degree angle, and the plane would slowly fall to the ground. VERY primitive by today's standards, but cutting edge at the time.
One of my best memories was watching my dad's car race across the parade ground at Fort Benjamin Harrison, chasing a plane that flew out of sight because they forgot to plug the receiver antenna into the top of the fuselage.

I'm sure if the fcc/faa and whatever other government agencies that regulate these types of flying devices, would put four of the most knowledgeable members of this site in a room and, give them an hour I'm fairly positive within that hour they'd have a solution on how to stop drones from operating within the take off and landing area of any us airport.
And the.us government with the smartest minds in this field on the payroll can't stop what's going to no doubt take a drone attack that takes the iives of our family members in order to act.
I'm sure Mosley all of us on this site saw the teenage droan hobiest attach what seemed to me be a large caliber hand gun to his droan and even with the recoil of a .45 or .38 the droan stayed stable in mid flight while the teenage creater of this device remotely fired off round after round.
It's only a matter of time before home grown terrorist begin using drones to pick off civilians or worse just strapping c4 to them and landing them into the middle of places like times square.
Back to a solution about drones at airports and drones. In your opinion what's the most likely technically speaking solution to this problem? I know there's ways this can be done i just haven't a clue of how too, but I know you do.
Id like to hear your oopinion. It's been a while since I've been on the air but the woodpecker beginning at 27.4155 all the way though every frequency where i mostly operate to 27.695 is an example of interferance can be caused by local and foreign governments.
I can't imagine it being difficult to stop drones from buzzing airports. On the other hand. It's seem it might be more difficult to stop the lone wolf with a modified drone fitted with devices to cause havoc on innocent us citizens . If a 17 year old can retrofit a drone with a semi automatic pistol what can a religious Zelet whose bent on k oil lying or harming ss many us citizens can do with $10.000 or $50.000.
The posiblys are nothing short of terrifying.

What's to stop a would-be terrorist from modifying a drones operating frequency to whatever he wants in order to get around any jamming near airports? For every solution there is a counter-solution. I am more worried about the assholes that just do it for fun to get a close-up picture or video of an airliner in flight.

I'm sure if the fcc/faa and whatever other government agencies that regulate these types of flying devices, would put four of the most knowledgeable members of this site in a room and, give them an hour I'm fairly positive within that hour they'd have a solution on how to stop drones from operating within the take off and landing area of any us airport.
And the.us government with the smartest minds in this field on the payroll can't stop what's going to no doubt take a drone attack that takes the iives of our family members in order to act.
I'm sure Mosley all of us on this site saw the teenage droan hobiest attach what seemed to me be a large caliber hand gun to his droan and even with the recoil of a .45 or .38 the droan stayed stable in mid flight while the teenage creater of this device remotely fired off round after round.
It's only a matter of time before home grown terrorist begin using drones to pick off civilians or worse just strapping c4 to them and landing them into the middle of places like times square.
Back to a solution about drones at airports and drones. In your opinion what's the most likely technically speaking solution to this problem? I know there's ways this can be done i just haven't a clue of how too, but I know you do.
Id like to hear your oopinion. It's been a while since I've been on the air but the woodpecker beginning at 27.4155 all the way though every frequency where i mostly operate to 27.695 is an example of interferance can be caused by local and foreign governments.
I can't imagine it being difficult to stop drones from buzzing airports. On the other hand. It's seem it might be more difficult to stop the lone wolf with a modified drone fitted with devices to cause havoc on innocent us citizens . If a 17 year old can retrofit a drone with a semi automatic pistol what can a religious Zelet whose bent on k oil lying or harming ss many us citizens can do with $10.000 or $50.000.
The posiblys are nothing short of terrifying.

nice run on sentence.......... didn't bother to even try to read it.

first of all, they are NOT "drones", so start over

Yes, but it might not be as easy as one would think. Look up Futaba radios and look under their technology and air systems it explains more in detail what the transmitters do. These are the transmitters only. Now the FPV requires a seperate setup to use unless its integrated into the transmitter or plugged into transmitter or totally seperate. Some use a screen, some use goggles, and even their IPads and iPhones. As far as pinning the location, yes I'm am quite certain it can be done but it takes man power and more equipment to do so. Hope this helps. Why people do stupid shit is beyond me, just to say they did it I suppose, but if it's a govt drone then all bets are off. A quad copter like the DJI phantom have a range of about 400 meters. Others can have range out maybe a coupe miles. Not sure on the second but the DJI quad I have had my eye on for a long time. They have made some nice improvements to their quads and even for a beginner are a good one to use as they have a lot of safety features. But anyway, like I said, yes I am sure they can lock onto frequency but it will require more equipment for the TSA employees will have to learn how to use. You know how it goes. So I don't see that happening. There are always shitheads in every hobby that like to stir the shit and make a stink!! If we didn't what would the news talk about???

I have been involved in the R/C hobby since '73 and it would be very easy to build a flying "bomb" with GPS guidance. All the needed parts exist today and are readily available on line or the local hobby shop. They already have flown an R/C plane across the Atlantic. Current turbo jet engines are available and will allow a "R/C" plane to reach speeds nearing 300 mph (already been done). the down side to the turbo jet is the fuel load and run time. Fuel is weight and the heavier the slower. It's only a matter of time before some nut gets away (some nut already tried and was stopped)with it and then the hobby is done.

I agree there w9cll. All can be bought right now. The technology is definitely there already. And with use of Lipo batts they can make some power and still have good run times. Brushless motors help a bunch as well. But you are right, they had to limit the jets speeds as they were getting really fast!!! But the quads if used right are a great platform for filming or FPV flying. Tallman, I am sure they could send another small drone and destroy the incoming threat. The govt I'm sure has the means. A laser could be used. Or a very narrow directional microwave type system be employed and heat it to melting or destroy the electronics. Aimed directly at target. This tech already exists and is being tested and probably used.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.