• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Engine noise

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
I've an anytone 5555. Old style. Installed in a s10. Modified to include 11 meter. 102" steel whip.

Engine and spedo noise on 11m. However, the higher into 10m I go the noise goes away. It comes through the reciever, not through the power. I've isolated the power and it's not the power. I've removed the antenna and it stops. Different antennas do change the amount. So its definitely the recieve.

My question is this, when I modded for 11m I didnt retune any slugs. If I go through and retune the radio in 11m range will it affect the noise? I think it will, but does anyone know?

Start installing snap beads on everything. even the coax right behind the radio. Put them over your truck harnesses and wheel sensor wires.

Start installing snap beads on everything. even the coax right behind the radio. Put them over your truck harnesses and wheel sensor wires.
Dont waste your time on that, it does nothing and is just a bandaid. You need to find the source of the noise and cure it there. Its very easy. Whats the noise is your first question. Popping, whine, hash, etc. Does it change with rpm? Figure this out and you will know where to start. Also rf bonding is a must in mobile applications as well. (If you wanna do it right)

Not only have i done all that, I changed the vss box, re routed stuff, added capacitors, noise filters, pulled fuses, you name it. Since it gets better in the 10m range I think it's the tuning

All those ideas have been tried. I believe it's a tuning issue.
If the noise is on the frequency the radio is on, tuning won't help it.

What vehicle is it? Does it happen in all modes? Does the noise blanker help at all?

Lots of good information here:

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
Not only have i done all that, I changed the vss box, re routed stuff, added capacitors, noise filters, pulled fuses, you name it. Since it gets better in the 10m range I think it's the tuning
The resonant tuning of an antenna has absolutely nothing to do with interference being received!

When I say tuning, I do not mean the tuning of the antenna. I'm talking about the alignment of the radio.

The alignment of a transceiver has absolutely nothing to do with interference being received!
Then I ask, why do I pick up more trash in the 11 meter band than the 10 meter band? Significantly more trash. The speed sensor translates ac pulse and it tears up the radio in 11m. 10m it's almost gone.

I can tell you this. The noise blanker is not doing its business.

Went through a couple radios on my 92 Toyota pickup, and tried all the fixes I knew about to get rid of the engine noise. The ignition noise would go up and down with the engine RPM. Uniden 980 SSB radio, and the noise was gone.

These have worked for me in the past. This one is only rated for 60 amps though. Search noise filters on RFparts.

CB60 Noise Filter, 60amp, Alternator/ generator W/ cable & lugs, Cornell Dubilier​

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
noise from lectric in autos can be a beiotch to say the least. grounds,bad radio filters, antennas everything under the sun can contribute to the problem

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.