• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Engine noise

Then I ask, why do I pick up more trash in the 11 meter band than the 10 meter band? Significantly more trash. The speed sensor translates ac pulse and it tears up the radio in 11m. 10m it's almost gone.

Tuning is NOT the issue. You need to cure the problem at the source, and that source is NOT inside the radio. The reason you hear it more on 11m is simply because the radio's receiving circuits are peaked in that range and sensitivity is better.

Yeah CK is right about that. Also be advised RFI Radio Frequency Interference has frequencies that are louder than other frequencies. So some frequencies will have louder stronger noise levels, and some frequencies little or no interference levels. Measuring the local vehicle area as compared to frequency bands with portable all band receiver will indicate this.

Jay in the grate Mojave Desert

Yall gonna love this. I changed everything. Coax, antenna, mount, location and radio. Changed to a kenwood 120s mobile Hf rig. Tried beads on the coax assuming common mode currents, helped some maybe. The radio is ssb and cw only. In ssb mode it shows full key wattage like a carrier. It works fine in the house. With a screwdriver antenna, when resonance is reached it kills the truck engine. So somewhere im getting rf I assume. I'm telling you I'm gonna pull out my nose hairs.

• Haha
Reactions: Rwb
Update.

Kenwood 120s radio shutting off truck resolved.

Service bulletin from 1980 shows how a failure would key the pa at full power throwing standing wave on the radio. Was shooting 160w over the shield to the frame of the truck. It only did it on 21mhz and up. Corrected that issue, carrier on ssb is now gone, audio cleared up, rf on the truck is gone. Still have engine noise so I'm still hunting that.

So theres that

Yall gonna love this. I changed everything. Coax, antenna, mount, location and radio. Changed to a kenwood 120s mobile Hf rig. Tried beads on the coax assuming common mode currents, helped some maybe. The radio is ssb and cw only. In ssb mode it shows full key wattage like a carrier. It works fine in the house. With a screwdriver antenna, when resonance is reached it kills the truck engine. So somewhere im getting rf I assume. I'm telling you I'm gonna pull out my nose hairs.
Normally I would avoid long distance trouble shooting but you are describing a tough problem where you have done all the stuff.
Is the length of anything resonant including the ground strap? My suggestion would be a choke balun, like the beads that you tried, at the antenna.

Update.

Kenwood 120s radio shutting off truck resolved.

Service bulletin from 1980 shows how a failure would key the pa at full power throwing standing wave on the radio. Was shooting 160w over the shield to the frame of the truck. It only did it on 21mhz and up. Corrected that issue, carrier on ssb is now gone, audio cleared up, rf on the truck is gone. Still have engine noise so I'm still hunting that.

So theres that
Edit edit the update. Total bs. Fixed some of it. Not the rest

• Wow
Its hard to help out when your not there. But as said before the noise source is the place to start. I take it you have ignition noise. Are the spark plugs, wires, rotor cap, and rotor old and wore out, needing replacement????? I have seen old spark wires arc all over the place as the insulation cracks open, at the dark of night.

Jay in the Grate Mojave Desert

I had a Ford Explore 1994. I had a constant whine. I had a local mechanic put the caps on the fuel pump power wires and that was the fix, as the fuel pump was the source.. Just want to mention , in case not tried yet
I had a 2010 Ranger that required putting chokes on the fuel pump wires at the fuel tank to stop noise.
They were famous for that.

Jeff

As a side note, whenever a Ford vehicle passes next to me on the road, I hear a terrible whining/static noise on my CB until that vehicle is 50 yards or so ahead.

Might be worth a check.

David

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.