• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Expo 100 expander channel kits info needed

If you want AM lower channels. I would buy an old PLL02A Cybernet board radio. There’s a ton of them on Ebay for under $20. Conversion is easy without all the fuss of placing and extra board inside. They’re perfect for tossing in the car during the winter while your prized radio is enjoying a temporary retirement by the fireside.

I’m looking for something to put a mower band in some Cobra 29’s I have in my shop. They’ll only be useful to the hunting crowd around here, not for me personally. I’ll look into that radio you mention though or board actually

Porkchop lester has one for the 29 radios on ebay. if you call him or email him and you want more than just one he will make you a better deal on the price. I talked to him a few years ago about buying 10 of them at one time and his price came way down. we were looking at stocking them in my buddy's shop since the expo kits were just about to dry up. my buddy decided to just close his shop and only work on past customer's radios as they come by. his kit covers upper and lower channels. we tried just one and it worked great. was actually easier than the expo kits to install.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L29-3-LesComm-Expa-Kit/183522257322?hash=item2abac769aa:g:jYkAAOSw-GNb4bKD

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Yeah I was hoping someone was gonna build them besides Lester but I’ll call him and see what I can work out. I’ve been looking at them since they were mentioned earlier in this thread.

We tried these Epson programmable-oscillator chips years ago and found that the output is a bit 'dirty'. A look at the frequency coming out of them reveals a waveform that's pretty strange. They're meant to provide the clock-reference frequency for digital circuits. Bad news is that subbing these for a crystal in a 23-channel radio causes strange noises and bleedover trouble in the receiver, and way too many odd frequencies coming out of the transmitter.

Good news is that they'll work in a Cobra 29, or any radio that feeds the crystal into a PLL circuit. The PLL will clean up the waveform.

A radio that feeds the output from this board directly into the transmit and receiver mixers will behave strangely if you swap out a crystal for this board.

We tried these Epson programmable-oscillator chips years ago and found that the output is a bit 'dirty'. A look at the frequency coming out of them reveals a waveform that's pretty strange. They're meant to provide the clock-reference frequency for digital circuits. Bad news is that subbing these for a crystal in a 23-channel radio causes strange noises and bleedover trouble in the receiver, and way too many odd frequencies coming out of the transmitter.

Good news is that they'll work in a Cobra 29, or any radio that feeds the crystal into a PLL circuit. The PLL will clean up the waveform.

A radio that feeds the output from this board directly into the transmit and receiver mixers will behave strangely if you swap out a crystal for this board.

That's what it looks like here as well.

Neat looking though. Looks like there’s options but I still think Lester’s board is possibly the way to go. It has to be simple and easy to use, remember I’m not the end user, someone else will be.

You guys are pretty good at finding these things, thanks for the help.

I would buy an old PLL02A Cybernet board radio. There’s a ton of them on Ebay for under $20. Conversion is easy without all the fuss of placing and extra board inside.

Sunbulls,
I picked up a few of these "gems" on fleabay for less than $20 intending to do just that (modify for extra channels) with them. A couple needed repair work before they would work "as advertised" before modifications. Some weren't worth the repairs but "donate" needed parts for others.

I "scored" a brand new Lafayette HB-740 in the original box with "all the fixins" for less than $25.00 but haven't been able to bring myself to open the case on it yet!
DSCI0313.JPG
DSCI0314.JPG
The box and Styrofoam packing were in poor shape so they got filed. Maybe 1 day when I get some extra time, I will open it up. For now it works well for a monitor radio.

73's
David

Nice one! I like the 02A Cybernets to the point that I often go to extremes restoring them. The pristine one you have would also be difficult for me to mess with, except for maybe replacing all the electrolytic caps. All the dirty beat up ones get my blood flowing. Besides cleaning / lubing all the pots and switches, this is my short list of other things I do before I make any mods to the PLL. Several years ago I bought a box of 10 new 02A Cybernet boards (3 crystal version). I believe these were surplus boards that Hy-Gain was dumping during their 23 to 40ch changeover period. They have been a valuable parts source for me every since, especially for replacing bad crystals and slugs.
1 Electrolytic caps replaced
2 Din jacks replaced with 4 pin jacks and wired to fit the Cobra standard
3 Old speaker felt removed and replaced with a new removable protective screen (originally designed for computer fans)
4 Covers stripped and repainted if needed
5 Rusty or marred cover screws replaced with chrome ones
6 3” flat stock bent /drilled and painted to fit missing mounting bracket
7 Bulbs replaced with LED’s
8 Power cord fuse receptacle replaced with automotive blade style holder

i got one with a j on one and p on the other could that be a A kit

The A kit that gives 40 up and 40 down has a J and T on the xtals I am looking for the code for all the xtals Expo 100 made, meaning all the letters on the xtals what frequency were these xtals. I know the J and T frequency on the A kit and also the Expo 100 S+ and S- but would like to know what all the Expo xtals were used and for what kit.

Anyone please chime in.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated