• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Favourite radio shop to deal with

Business band stuff now, that makes two places I know of that were in CB but wound up migrating to Business services industry.

Kinda sad to see their "hobby" turn out like this ....

Well he is a big Icom dealer too and I believe a repair center for them, though I’m not sure so don’t quote me on that.

But it does stink that it seems the radio hobby is going south, at least the CB part of it. I guess your area depends on if the ham part is headed to the bottom too. Though not very likely and two different worlds, you still kinda get what I’m saying.

I hated to see Richard quit, he’s definitely my radio hero. I got to spend a few Saturdays with him trying to learn some things and become a better “tech” and I use that term very loosely. I hate there wasn’t more of those days... the guy really is very smart and I hung on every word he offered me.

Jerry Knight of Knights Electronics in Fayetteville NC was another guy that was really smart and knew his stuff when he came to a radio. He also knew how to charge you for his time and knowledge, I expect that though, time is money and you pay a man for what he knows, not necessarily what he does. He passed away several years ago, his son didn’t seem interested in keeping the business going I guess, it’s been closed for a long time now.

TC’s in Watha NC - this shop is the king of the limiter clippers. In the past 8 days I have replaced TR32 in about 57 radios that have been tuned by T. How can you charge someone to “tune” their radio when all you do is clip out a limiter? And you don’t even try to cover the holes so it looks factory to an unknowing person? You can’t take a little flux remover and clean up behind yourself?

Ok the last one is a rant and had nothing to do with the point of my reply, whatever that point was.

i never did it for money. i enjoy fixing radios. especially ones
that say it cant be fixed.most of the time i did it for free you know close friends family ect.

Reactions: skip searcher
TC’s in Watha NC - this shop is the king of the limiter clippers. In the past 8 days I have replaced TR32 in about 57 radios that have been tuned by T. How can you charge someone to “tune” their radio when all you do is clip out a limiter? And you don’t even try to cover the holes so it looks factory to an unknowing person? You can’t take a little flux remover and clean up behind yourself?

In some ways I can see someone having to pay someone to have the pleasure of ripping ones heart out - even if it only means the limiter.:ROFLMAO:

If only the cost of the part could offset the labors involved - you know - those guys have got to keep their tools sharp...

Ok the last one is a rant and had nothing to do with the point of my reply, whatever that point was.

Where we're we...?

Oh Yes!

Thanks for stopping by!

i never did it for money. i enjoy fixing radios. especially ones
that say it cant be fixed.most of the time i did it for free you know close friends family ect.

I used to enjoy it but people bring junk over and want it fixed cheap or free. I haven't got anything else since I incorporated the 2 man lift policy. If you can carry the amp by yourself I'm not interested. LOL

It’s just wrong for any shop to say they’re selling you a brand new radio that’s been tuned and all they’ve done is rip out a limiter or clip it. That’s absolutely not tuning anything. Or so the same thing when you bring them your radio and want it tuned. Just wrong and ignorant.

Why do they even need to perform open heart surgery on a radio - when they don't even know if it powers up or not - at least Warranty protects the shop and the consumer buying it.

Then the Warranty is thrown out the window when ANY work or evidence of tampering - seals or not - are done...

Break it? You buy it! - sort of approach...

Reactions: undertaker
They remove it because it trips the triggers of the wattmeter worshippers, they show them the power of the golden screwdriver on that Dosy meter and they’re forking over their cash, come on.

With Stryker, I don’t know about anyone else but they honor the warranty as long as whatever you do (or a shop) isn’t the cause of a failure. They don’t frown upon modifications but ripping limiters out isn’t a modification, that’s a hack.

Reactions: 543_Dallas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.