1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

FCC should just open up 11meters as a Citizens experimental band.

Discussion in 'FCC Activity' started by jdobbs2001, Mar 16, 2018.

1. old goat 321

old goat 321 Well-Known Member

Oh boy. I kinda think the fcc should turn over 10 meter to us cb guys.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.

2. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

The 11m/CB band was stolen from the Amateur's in 1958 to create the CB radio service in the USA.
    Then remained an Amateur band in some countries for some years later....
    (Japan plus few others)
    That's why some of the very old Hams dislike the idea of CB...
    As to getting more bandwidth...Good luck!:ROFLMAO:
    All the Best
    Gary

Captain Kilowatt likes this.
  3. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Well-Known Member

11 meters is a far better band than 10 meters ever will be. It is Open twice as often as 10 meters. I wish they had enough sense that they would have given the 10 meter band as the CB Band but as usual the government screwed up again & it should be expected. If you need anything screwed up get the government involved & it shall be done.

SIX-SHOOTER

4. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

I agree I doubt they will ever increase bandwidth because several other country's have adopted the US 40 channels. And there are other legit users in the 27.500- 27.999 area.
    Actually I was surprised and happy to see they dropped the 155 rule.
    We all know that CB was intended to be a short range service that was affordable for the masses.
    Because it got put right smack dab in the middle of DX wonderland it was a little dumb limiting the distance of contacts because even a old 23 channel radio only providing 2 or 2 watts could talk across the nation when the band was open.
    And it turned into a very popular hobby very quickly.
    The FCC just kept Sticking there head in the sand and kept hoping Cb would die and go away instead of revising the rules to allow the users to make better use of the service.

Gary is correct 11 meters used to be allocated to hams before the FCC grabbed it.
    I wish more hams would used ten , it is a hell of a lot of spectrum that is not used as much as it could be.
    It is a great band , can be a very inexpensive way to work awesome dx when the band is open and a lot of room to play radio when it is not open.
    Jeff

5. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Lol
    Ten is often open when 11 is. These two bands are so close together in the frequency spectrum that they mimic each other.
    Ten and 11 meters are open a lot more that users think.
    The cycle is down ten is dead..
    Old wife's tales.
    Just last week I was working dx on ten and the CB band
    Jeff

6. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Indeed 10m is open a LOT more than people think. Since it sees much less use than 11m everyone seems to think it is dead but a couple calls can often bring surprise results.

BJ radionut likes this.
  7. old goat 321

old goat 321 Well-Known Member

I was just stirring the pot. I knew it would get a rise out of some of you guys. I was thinking so many cb ers run big power, antennas way above 60 feet, not to mention owning export radios, 10, 12 meters. It would make it all legit. Dont flame me to badly. I want my ticket and am studying to get it. I have a couple of cb's, run barefoot . I do have a kl203 in my pickup that i use when i go fishing with my brother in law. Thats on occasion . Tower and penetrator going up this spring . It will be 59 feet to the top of the antenna.

Slowmover likes this.
  8. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

Same thing goes for 6m...just about every morning just around Sunrise and little after consistently make "contacts" in the 300 to 600+ mile range...(100-200 mile stuff almost anytime)
    But all I ever here from some ops..."Oh 6m is a waste of time, it's never open"
    Just takes some effort to install a good set-up...a dipole at 20ft and listening for 5 minutes yes won't cut it!
    However when band is really open, I work those stations. I can't tell you how many times I hear
    " This is my first contact on 6m, never knew it could open like this!"
    CK/Shockwave: Are Correct...Activity Breeds Activity...:ROFLMAO::love::D
    All the Best
    Gary

Go for it, many here to help! Look forward to working you soon...73

Slowmover and Captain Kilowatt like this.
  9. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Sr. Member

Put a Dave Made behind your 10 meter rig and you could make your own conditions just like the guys on 27.025 MHz do.(y)

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.