1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

FCC should just open up 11meters as a Citizens experimental band.

Discussion in 'FCC Activity' started by jdobbs2001, Mar 16, 2018.

1. S&W357

S&W357 $upporting Member N.C. WDX-556

upload_2021-4-14_9-3-43.png

2. Sonar

Sonar Sr. Member

I like yourself, have absolutely no doubt there are licensed operators, operating way over the 1500 watt limit, but my question would be, what's the point? If conditions are right for DX, someone with 100 Watts, and an omnidirectional, will probably have the same chance at contacting, the same stations, as the guy with 1500 watts, and a beam. Unless HF operators, find the need to talk point to point (no DX involved,) with other stations that are 200 mi away, then 10,000 Watts is pretty much a waste, taking into consideration, anyone hearing a station 200 miles away while running 10,000 watts, it's going to need to be running about the same output in order to complete the contact. As far as pirates, as we used to call them back in the 70s, I never figured out how someone could use another's ham operator license numbers, or fabricate one without most likely getting caught, quickly. It's not like the old days when people needed to flip through the ham radio operators handbook, in order to look up a person through their call sign. All they need to do now is a quick online search of the call sign, and immediately know who that call sign belongs to, and their qth. If someone who legitimately holds the license which allows them to operate everywhere, with legal limit, gets into a qso with a pirate, the legit ticket holder might find out sooner or later, that the other station is a pirate. Once a legit ticket holder begins to ask technical questions to a pirate who can't correctly answer those technical questions, he's going to get called out on the legitimacy of his call sign. And should that pirate be knowledgeable enough to where he'd be able to answer particular technical questions, why not take the test in the first place? I did not read this whole thread, but I'm going to go through it, because I'm interested in how people actually operate on all ham radio bands, comfortable enough, without worry of getting caught? I am guessing one could not just make up a call sign, by pulling letters and numbers out of the air, and using a silent keys call sign, is probably the easiest way to get caught, as I mentioned above a 10 second search come of that call sign will expose, that those call sign numbers belong to a silent key. Using another's call sign come always leads to the chance of talking to locals, that actually no the person who that call sign legitimately belongs to, and that pirate would get caught quickly, and I'm assuming should he want to stay on the air, find someone else's call sign to use, but then again how long is that going to last. Maybe my ignorance and how it actually goes down on HF, is complicating my thoughts come about how people actually pirate, and comfortably make contacts, and hold down qsos with a made-up call sign, or one that belongs to someone else? Sorry for being verbose, but it's been so long, since I have found a subject that has interested me. I actually didn't find this thread, but was notified via email, that someone replied to a thread that I was interested in, and that's what brought me here. Hope all is well 808, and Hope to talk to, and see you sometime in the near future. Be well my brother.

S&W357 and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  3. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

yep n i do what the voices in my head tell me to do

S&W357, TheRealPorkchop and Slowmover like this.
  4. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

early mornin tv test pattern when we were kids in the 50's

5. S&W357

S&W357 $upporting Member N.C. WDX-556

Yep. Was OK to test stuff then so maybe it is now :whistle:

6. Crawdad

Crawdad Down in the mud invasive species

"A movie about Cowboys and Indians"- Cheech & Chong

Rwb and S&W357 like this.
  7. TRASHYTRAM

TRASHYTRAM New Member