• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC should just open up 11meters as a Citizens experimental band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2021-4-14_9-3-43.png

They just got rid of the maximum legal distance restriction not too long ago. Hopefully they will open it up to higher power at some point. Not that it stops people now.
I like yourself, have absolutely no doubt there are licensed operators, operating way over the 1500 watt limit, but my question would be, what's the point? If conditions are right for DX, someone with 100 Watts, and an omnidirectional, will probably have the same chance at contacting, the same stations, as the guy with 1500 watts, and a beam. Unless HF operators, find the need to talk point to point (no DX involved,) with other stations that are 200 mi away, then 10,000 Watts is pretty much a waste, taking into consideration, anyone hearing a station 200 miles away while running 10,000 watts, it's going to need to be running about the same output in order to complete the contact. As far as pirates, as we used to call them back in the 70s, I never figured out how someone could use another's ham operator license numbers, or fabricate one without most likely getting caught, quickly. It's not like the old days when people needed to flip through the ham radio operators handbook, in order to look up a person through their call sign. All they need to do now is a quick online search of the call sign, and immediately know who that call sign belongs to, and their qth. If someone who legitimately holds the license which allows them to operate everywhere, with legal limit, gets into a qso with a pirate, the legit ticket holder might find out sooner or later, that the other station is a pirate. Once a legit ticket holder begins to ask technical questions to a pirate who can't correctly answer those technical questions, he's going to get called out on the legitimacy of his call sign. And should that pirate be knowledgeable enough to where he'd be able to answer particular technical questions, why not take the test in the first place? I did not read this whole thread, but I'm going to go through it, because I'm interested in how people actually operate on all ham radio bands, comfortable enough, without worry of getting caught? I am guessing one could not just make up a call sign, by pulling letters and numbers out of the air, and using a silent keys call sign, is probably the easiest way to get caught, as I mentioned above a 10 second search come of that call sign will expose, that those call sign numbers belong to a silent key. Using another's call sign come always leads to the chance of talking to locals, that actually no the person who that call sign legitimately belongs to, and that pirate would get caught quickly, and I'm assuming should he want to stay on the air, find someone else's call sign to use, but then again how long is that going to last. Maybe my ignorance and how it actually goes down on HF, is complicating my thoughts come about how people actually pirate, and comfortably make contacts, and hold down qsos with a made-up call sign, or one that belongs to someone else? Sorry for being verbose, but it's been so long, since I have found a subject that has interested me. I actually didn't find this thread, but was notified via email, that someone replied to a thread that I was interested in, and that's what brought me here. Hope all is well 808, and Hope to talk to, and see you sometime in the near future. Be well my brother.

Big mistake. Swan underestimated the widespread resentment of hams, still pi$$ed about losing what had been "their" 11-meter band in 1959. The Swan 1011 sold like a turd in the punchbowl at a wedding.
Swan dropped it.
A savvy entrepreneur named Sam I. Lewis saw how easy it was to disable the lockout that made the radio receive-only on 11 meters and hired Swan to make this radio with his brand name printed on it. Wasn't hard to predict how well a 100-Watt radio that had 27 MHz in it would sell. His initials "SIL" became the name "Siltronix". More Siltronix products made by Swan followed, as well as the more-familiar "Palomar" stuff made in a different facility in Escondido.73

Interesting radio History.
T.T.

Reactions: Rwb
LMAO come on down to 11 meters ham operators see how long you will last!!! All I ever see is ham operators complain about CB radio constantly. I have my ham license and 50% of the people I have talked to on 10 meters think they are Gods grace to radio and are just plain rude and it just makes me laugh because a lot of them started out on CB radio. Skip cycle is coming in and CB radio is just a blast. I will study and take the General test soon to see if they are a better quality of people than the ones on 10 meters.

Reactions: groundwire and Rwb
Listening to some of the stations on 11 meters and the operators it does seem like an experiment always
It's been experimental for 40 years. The entire band is a pathetic mess compared to what it was in the 60's & 70's & it will always be. It's like the world it's going to Hell in a hand basket.

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520

Why don't you tell us how you really feel....

:cool:
I have always thought that telling the TRUTH is always the best. It takes away any doubts as it should. It hurts some peoples feelings but it's because they don't have the guts to do it themselves or because they have Thin Skin & are afraid they may hurt someones feelings. Honesty is Always the Best Policy is what I was taught at a very young age & my parents taught me well God Rest their souls.

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520

LMAO come on down to 11 meters ham operators see how long you will last!!! All I ever see is ham operators complain about CB radio constantly. I have my ham license and 50% of the people I have talked to on 10 meters think they are Gods grace to radio and are just plain rude and it just makes me laugh because a lot of them started out on CB radio. Skip cycle is coming in and CB radio is just a blast. I will study and take the General test soon to see if they are a better quality of people than the ones on 10 meters.
You will not have to wait on Skip every day. There is Real DX outside of North America Every single day on some band & usually more than one. You will think talking a few states away is downright Boring compared to working the entire world.

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520

we dont need those government tyrants involved in our hobby or airwaves! the fcc is just another arm of the government that is threatening, stealing and taking what is not theirs and charging you money to use some of it. fuck the fcc!

View attachment 62450
I think the government is overreaching too, but some things should be controlled.

What would you think about some 11m guy in the middle of nowhere just learning how to build transmitters putting one on the air without harmonic filtering and a harmonic of that lands right on the VFR navigation frequency of the plane carrying someone you care about? Or, what if someone happens to crap on the P25 control frequencies at the same time you have a stroke and need an ambulance? Seconds count, ask my dead grandpa. We really don't need military radar or satellite TV either, so just fuck football, national security, and the FCC.

Thats what you get when you let people get on the air without proving they know at least a little bit about the subject. Imagine if everyone outside of 11m was granted the ability to "just do whatever they wanted to do"? I bet some of that trash will fall right into 11m! In the same way that bad 11m operators ruin our band (and others), others with that same attitude could ruin our band thinking they are outside it.

I do not understand how people who love this hobby can have such disregard for how it remains funciontal.

You are not the 11111111111, are you? If it's not you, then you shouldn't have to worry about the FCC giving you a big fine. Problem solved.

They have much more profitable rules to inforce that puts Ham/CB way down the totum pole unless you do something seriously stupid.
Seriously Stupid.
They dropped the 155 rule because it was nothing anyway but I don't see any other changes coming in the future.
The last time they were open to rule change fcc received very few public comments.......

Jeff

They have much more profitable rules to inforce that puts Ham/CB way down the totum pole unless you do something seriously stupid.
Seriously Stupid.
They dropped the 155 rule because it was nothing anyway but I don't see any other changes coming in the future.
The last time they were open to rule change fcc received very few public comments.......

Jeff
dont forget the big fm change,that was a hoot. in my area never hear anybody on 11 meters fm1

Reactions: S&W357
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated