Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Yaesu' started by Mudfoot, May 25, 2018.
I have done it to my radio. It works. I was confused by some of the pictures posted online because the shorted solder pads did not resemble mine. I figured the pictures were from European models, but the two pads indicated are the correct pads to short.
It is a tight space, so use a very fine soldering tip, or if you have some SMD components and a hot air rework station, do it up right, but I used solder and it works. You can also use a conductive pen, but it was too tight a space for me to do so successfully.
I soldered mine.
Picked up another 891. I think I'll try shorting the pads as described in this mod. Apparently, it stays expanded until the radio is hard reset.
I'd be happy to hear how that turns out!
Should be delivered Monday. I'll post my results. Haven't decided if I'll keep it. Being unmodded makes some of the Curmudgeon's happy if I should sell it.
Just a head’s up on the 891 mod... I had bought my 891 within a year of the radio being released (and got hosed by Yaesu when they dropped the price, as they always do). I have a friend who bought an 891 in 2019 and when I went to do the mod, the arrangement of shorted pads from the factory was different from the photos online.
It’s been a while since I saw the inside of his radio, so I don’t remember what exactly was different (may have been no shorted pads from the factory ???), but due to Yaesu changing something in there, I did not do the mod as I didn’t know what the outcome would be (especially when dealing with someone else’s radio). Yaesu’s recent history with firmware updates makes me hesitant to do any mod that is not well documented.
P.S...I also sold my 891 a few months ago. While I think it is a good value for under $600, it is not an ideal mobile radio. In my opinion, the menu system is too cumbersome for mobile ops. I used to run an FT-857 in the mobile, and it was much easier to deal with in a mobile setting. I literally had the 857 set up so I never had to look at the radio while driving. Not so with the 891.
I have mostly given up on amateur radio anyway, so my tolerance threshold has become pretty low when it comes to putting up with certain things in a mobile installation.
This is my 4th 891. I've always soldered the pads. I've never tried the temporary shorting mod yet.
The 891's are cheap now. Hard to pass them up for running mobile or base. I got hosed on the first one, as well. I remember buying the Alinco SR8T when they first came out, only to watch the price drop by hundreds.
Supposedly, this mod works on other Yaesu rigs.
Should work...IF you can manipulate the screwdrivers while doing a reset on the radio (I seem to remember having to do a reset after the solder mod). Those solder pads in the 891 are in a tight space.
Also, as an interesting side note...
I sold my modded 891 to my friend who had the unmodded 891 (that I did not want to experiment with). He had his unmodded radio in his vehicle with the separation kit, and swapped the radio bodies only (wanting to have 11m available in the mobile). The results were goofy as my radio and control head had not been updated to the most recent firmware (as I noted, Yaesu firmware is very questionable), but his radio came with the most recent firmware. All his bands were off by a factor of “one”, like he would select 20m, but get 40m, or 12m and get 10m, and there was no 6m selection.
This was because of the mismatch in firmware between my old “modded” radio, and his newer control head (which he did not swap out at the time). The newer firmware added the 60 meter band in the “Band” switch. It took me a moment to figure out what was going on when he called me about the anomaly, until I thought to ask if he swapped the control heads as well (which he hadn’t). So if you end up with multiple 891s, make sure you either have all the same firmware versions, or keep the heads with the correct radios.
I am not a fan of the newer Yaesu radios (their FTM-400 had no front end rejection) and the warped process involved in updating firmware (multiple steps/power cable pulls, etc.). One of their FT-991a updates really screwed up the original 60m band addition, and was found by another friend of mine. Yaesu denied the fault for a week or two, until he persisted with them. I know of several people that owned FT1D radios that were bricked by the firmware and had to go all the way back to Japan to be reflashed. I will never buy another new Yaesu radio (and I have owned more that a dozen of them over 20 years).
Good info on the firmware for main body and head. I had an FT-3DR that stressed me out updating firmware. Still easier than most Chicom stuff.