• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-891...anyone try this mod?

It's an old thread but on-point and it may help someone who notices what I noted on my FT-891 after a MARS mod.

Did MARS mod and it worked however: The Frequency changes when switching from SSB to AM and back again. For example: If i'm on 27.555.00 SSB and I switch from SSB to AM Frequency changes to 27.555.70. If I switch back to SSB it goes back to 27.555.00

Radio never did that before. A minor thing but it affects user confidence in radio.

Anyone else notice changes to whatever function is assigned to the A, B & C buttons? I noted that the toggle is not complete but rather the ability to adjust the assigned function used last continues beyond the first button press. Minor inconvenience and very subtle change and/or easy to presume it was always like that.
Has anyone else noted these changes after the Mars mod?

Last edited:
It's an old thread but on-point and it may help someone who notices what I noted on my FT-891 after a MARS mod.

Did MARS mod and it worked however: The Frequency changes when switching from SSB to AM and back again. For example: If i'm on 27.555.00 SSB and I switch from SSB to AM Frequency changes to 27.555.70. If I switch back to SSB it goes back to 27.555.00

Radio never did that before. A minor thing but it affects user confidence in radio.

Anyone else notice changes to whatever function is assigned to the A, B & C buttons? I noted that the toggle is not complete but rather the ability to adjust the assigned function used last continues beyond the first button press. Minor inconvenience and very subtle change and/or easy to presume it was always like that.
Has anyone else noted these changes after the Mars mod?
The 991a does something similar out the box. I forgot what its call, but it's cw center frequency. It shifts from ssb to cw until you turn off that thing in the menu. I think my 891 did the same thing.
Here's a video of how mine was modded when I got it. This might show if yours is done differently or incorrect.

Reactions: Naysayer
Thank you for the Reply and video, I missed it on YT.
Radio working fine. I spent a few hours on it today -high noise level here in the North East today, rainy day too. Europe been coming in 10 through 40M last few days causing many pile-ups.
A bit of flux and braid and the pads would clean-up OK but so far so good.

I'm still studying rig to see if I can find any other differences. I'm focused on the Frequency Memory menu now. Tired of pushing buttons lol. Menu driven system takes time to learn so I did wait a year before attempting the MARS. The freq jump is easily missed if you're not familiar with the radio, I know I would have missed it. Any touch on Fast and the freq jumps anyway so I needed an hour to notice it myself. I have not read that anyone else had same result.

Thanks for posting, neil

Hi Naysayer, I have the same problem you mentioned about frequency changing when changing modes, I believe the fix is menu 07-11 CW FREQ DISPLAY, that needs to be set to FREQ default is pitch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naysayer
Hi Naysayer, I have the same problem you mentioned about frequency changing when changing modes, I believe the fix is menu 07-11 CW FREQ DISPLAY, that needs to be set to FREQ default is pitch.
Thank you I was puzzled at first because I kept presuming my hand hit the Freq knob. I'll run that down today and update later. A little thing like that destroys confidence in equipment & changes operating experience. Thanks for sharing that.

Thank you I was puzzled at first because I kept presuming my hand hit the Freq knob. I'll run that down today and update later. A little thing like that destroys confidence in equipment & changes operating experience. Thanks for sharing that.
Hahaha that’s what I thought too as the VFO knob is used to change mode, never mind.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated