• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX86V

I would suggest to maintain 10m usable maybe a 99v2. It has 8 bands and does the 10m normal areas like 28.425 and such. Bells has for each radio a click link showing the freq for each band. The other option is the RCI 2950 with will retain the 10/11m or the Lincoln 2+ which will do 10/11/12 post conversion.

I have and use the 86v and yes it's just CB and uppers and lowers after conversion. Mine has a 10k switch mod but I don't really see the need for that option IMO. The receive is "hot" but when set at like 11am on the RF gain you get good RX without a lot of that hiss noise.

Post tune I'm seeing about 35w peak swing on SSB (I set power knob to hit say 25-30 on my voice peaks to run my amp). I don't really run AM much at all. I did have an external freq counter wires up/in to show me the extra digit over the factory built in one and the clarifier is unlocked. Gives me a little peace of mind. Unit takes about 20 minutes to "warm" up. I run as base only so your purpose may vary.

View attachment 34786

I would suggest to maintain 10m usable maybe a 99v2. It has 8 bands and does the 10m normal areas like 28.425 and such. Bells has for each radio a click link showing the freq for each band. The other option is the RCI 2950 with will retain the 10/11m or the Lincoln 2+ which will do 10/11/12 post conversion.

I have and use the 86v and yes it's just CB and uppers and lowers after conversion. Mine has a 10k switch mod but I don't really see the need for that option IMO. The receive is "hot" but when set at like 11am on the RF gain you get good RX without a lot of that hiss noise.

Post tune I'm seeing about 35w peak swing on SSB (I set power knob to hit say 25-30 on my voice peaks to run my amp). I don't really run AM much at all. I did have an external freq counter wires up/in to show me the extra digit over the factory built in one and the clarifier is unlocked. Gives me a little peace of mind. Unit takes about 20 minutes to "warm" up. I run as base only so your purpose may vary.

View attachment 34786

Received the radio featured in that post as I was leaving town (literally). Tossed it in while getting loaded to replace the 99v2 shown in my post above.

The 99v2 has been destined while for my pickup truck. Will need to send it and amp out to be paired up best as it also needs an alignment.

The before/after of putting the 86v is the clarity improvement in audio. AM or Sideband. SSB much easier to chase last night. I knew the 99 was off, but now I have an idea of how far.

Now, (this is for Dan, ha!) installing the MORGAN 411b bandpass filter cleans it up even further (the WM ClearSpeaker ain’t ALL of it).

Mobile, this is the quietest rig yet.

Ferrites onto every cable of every type.

Antenna feedpoint choke & coax choke at radio. KL203p & 411b in-between.

Antenna mount still lousy, but bonding the (4) door hinges helped move that project along.

It’s a nice radio, CB590. I’m pleased to have it. As in my other posts, it — like the single-final 979 — is a much better fit for a big truck than the 99v2. Your packaging was such it was like-new.

That it also performs so nicely shows me — without question — my 99v2 needs service. (Owned since 2014).

GALAXY DX99v2

Or

Galaxy DX86v

Either one nice to have as a mobile unit.

Getting ready to move this back into the Pete. Had the 99v2 in while using a wide-body rack.

Found the extended narrow-body (Cobra 29 width) rack to swap with.

CB590, I can’t recall what mic you were using.

I’m gonna run thru the usual 3-4 before I leave again.

Reactions: WECSOG
Getting ready to move this back into the Pete. Had the 99v2 in while using a wide-body rack.

Found the extended narrow-body (Cobra 29 width) rack to swap with.

CB590, I can’t recall what mic you were using.

I’m gonna run thru the usual 3-4 before I leave again.

Workman 507-4 cheapy and the Night Eagle D104. Both worked better than the factory audio. But no noise reduction on either. I used the radio as a base.

Reactions: Slowmover
Have had this radio out of the Pete as I chased yet more install-related problems by using the U-980 (as its a noisy receive sensitive to changes).

Big breakthrough yesterday in learning I could reduce the NEG power lead to under 1’ versus the current 15’.

Tomorrow I learn if I can reduce the POS lead from 20’ (at BATT) down to 8’.

10’ TTL versus 35’ TTL and will also upsize wiring from 10-AWG to 6-AWG (new distribution panel to accommodate the feed).

The U-980 was always meant to be Radio #2 (backup) to the Galaxy 86v.

Spent hours the day previous to that in climbing up & down the Peterbilt exterior to test seven (7) antenna configurations of the Wilson 2000 pair. Coil now higher and SWR down below 1.5:1 across all 40.

No, this 86v isn’t the same as my 99v2 . . . but it sure takes a lot less space to do almost the same. I’m excited at getting it back in the rack after the other changes are finalized.

Mobile, it’s hard not to like a Galaxy where performance has had some verification. Easy to use & long-term reliable.

As to mics, tested with Radios #1 & 2 (positions switched) the Astatic 636L was miles ahead of the other six (6). Over the speaker (two types) and also with headphones. (As a result just bought one wired for the Uniden 6-pin; excellent comments by other drivers; unsolicited and solicited).

Last edited:
Reactions: WECSOG and NZ8N
Well, time for an update because I ordered a DX86V. I have a quad 5 v6 and a quad 6, and decided I want one of these to experiment with. If I can get more freq coverage etc by adding switches, that will be great. If not, just having 11M +uppers and lowers will be fine too since I already have other rigs for 10M. Either way, should be fun times.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Well, time for an update because I ordered a DX86V. I have a quad 5 v6 and a quad 6, and decided I want one of these to experiment with. If I can get more freq coverage etc by adding switches, that will be great. If not, just having 11M +uppers and lowers will be fine too since I already have other rigs for 10M. Either way, should be fun times.
The radio has the capability of other bands, when you unsolder the blob that gives 10m and plug in the plug, it should be obvious.

Reactions: WECSOG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated