• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Greetings guys, this is my first post.

k kelley

Mar 16, 2019
One of my truck driving mentors had a northstar(4000 I think, not sure). Anyways, years ago I bought a used Northstar 44 out of a truck stop parking lot. I would like to: A : find someone who is willing to check out/restore the one that I have B: I would like to buy a good working northstar

k Kelley,
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find lots of help here.
Good luck with your search!

73's
David

Welcome aboard. I have seen some Northstars on eBay as of late but buy at your own risk.... May need a tech to go over any off of there too!

welcome to the forum.

You're going to have a hard time finding service info specifically made for the northstar radios since they were produced for such a short time.

There are a couple of differences to the galaxy radios, like, i think the northstar radios used an encoder and the galaxys used an analog channel switch, but other than that, i believe they are pretty much identical inside.

just take the zero off of the northstar name to get the galaxy numbers:

northstar DX440 equals the galaxy 44.
LC

The Northstars had some quirks in the design that made them a bit different from the equivalent Galaxy models. They were okay radios 20-plus years ago, but they haven't aged as well as the more widely-sold brands and models.

There were production changes from the first ones made to the last ones, as well. The first ones used a conventional channel selector, just like the Galaxy radios. Later ones replaced it with a computer chip controlled by a wimpy "encoder" to select channels. When that chip croaks, it's off to the junkyard.

There's a double whammy to first find someone familiar with those quirks, and then find someone who will agree to let you ship it to them for service.

Leads me to expect it would be expensive to have serviced.

Ultimately a truck-driving radio is still just a tool. What it's worth has a lot to do with what it costs you to make useful for the job it does.

My favorite comparison is to your favorite firewood-cutting axe. Eventually the handle splits. The hardware store wants 25 bucks for a new handle. But a whole, new chinese axe is fifteen bucks.

If replacing it is a cheaper solution to achieve the same result, the next question about servicing it would be "why?".

The Northstars had some quirks in the design that made them a bit different from the equivalent Galaxy models. They were okay radios 20-plus years ago, but they haven't aged as well as the more widely-sold brands and models.

There were production changes from the first ones made to the last ones, as well. The first ones used a conventional channel selector, just like the Galaxy radios. Later ones replaced it with a computer chip controlled by a wimpy "encoder" to select channels. When that chip croaks, it's off to the junkyard.

There's a double whammy to first find someone familiar with those quirks, and then find someone who will agree to let you ship it to them for service.

Leads me to expect it would be expensive to have serviced.

Ultimately a truck-driving radio is still just a tool. What it's worth has a lot to do with what it costs you to make useful for the job it does.

My favorite comparison is to your favorite firewood-cutting axe. Eventually the handle splits. The hardware store wants 25 bucks for a new handle. But a whole, new chinese axe is fifteen bucks.

If replacing it is a cheaper solution to achieve the same result, the next question about servicing it would be "why?".

And they locked that chip kinda like burning an e-fuse in an Xbox, you can’t read it to replace it even if you had a spare that was blank and a programmer. I’ve had a pile of them come here and you’re 100% on the quirks, not one of my favorite radios to work on.

Welcome aboard Mr Kelley.

Mine is forged the Chinese one is cast...

Welcome aboard Mr Kelley.
Some of us are occasionally daft when we're not senile.
Please include exterior and interior photos including any board numbers if possible.
It will help trigger a memory if there is one .

My favorite comparison is to your favorite firewood-cutting axe. Eventually the handle splits. The hardware store wants 25 bucks for a new handle. But a whole, new Chinese axe is fifteen bucks.
The old forged part will hold an edge a lot longer. The new axes don't cut very well and won't hold an edge. The edges chip and break and are just poor quality metal.

Do not mock the dark one in front of a new member.

View attachment 29546

As always you just go for the throat! There are other areas that have more comical results!
Or you can cause people to do something very very stupid and just enjoy.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.