• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Has anyone been able to duplicate these results?

Have you ever tried Tim Trent of Snake Radio Customs?
I sent the guy an email asking him to show me a perfect waveform on an oscilloscope and he never responded to me
FB_IMG_1448218560357_zpslqmiotqg.jpg

The fact that the person did those mods on an export radio is just a waste. At least do it on a CB radio.... you're taking a radio that is designed to operate from 28 to 29.7 mhz and modding it to perform in an area that's better than a full 1mhz BELOW its designed parameters (Channel 1 starts at 26.965). A CB radio has better sensitivity stock than a stock export radio has after modification into the CB band. That's in real world testing and comparisons that I have performed.

I've said for years that if you want best performance on the CB band, get a CB radio. They're designed to run in the CB band. Even if a person wants to run in the "freeband", such as 27.555, that's far closer to CB territory (150khz) than it is to 10M territory (750 khz, since 10M voice starts at 28.300). Again, a waste if you do all those mods on an export.

~Cheers~

From what I've noticed in real-world testing with my high Q antennas a Cobra 29 with a noise floor of .3uv needs to be 20 miles closer to the transmitting station in order to hear the signal as opposed to a 10-meter radio with a noise floor of .0399uv which can hear the same signal twenty miles further away. That's a pretty drastic difference

Now I don't know how well Fine Tune's radios receive but I did have a lengthy conversation with him today and I must say that the radio he was talking on was one of the cleanest,clearest radios I have heard on sideband. It was a customer's radio he was trying out before shipping it out.
I believe it was a Stryker 955 that he was talking on. He seemed like an okay guy over the air. If I find myself in Las Cruces, NM again I'll have to stop by his shop.

Actually I think it annoys him when I tell you guys that I'm looking for a better technician than him. He doesn't pay me a thing to compare his work to other technicians
People who have little or possibly no knowledge about transceivers and the way they work or shouldn't work have to go with and usually shout from the mountain top that the guy who works, repair, restors and MODIFIES cb and or 10 meter garage abortions rigs is the best "Tec" ever.
The guy who works on my stuff is excellent and I'm happy with his work.
It's work he does!
He as far as I know makes his living bringing equipment back to life.
He doesn't to my knowledge make his living from doing the IMO Hocus Pocus modifications (and often laughs at equipment sent to him with those mods) that are supposed to do things that transceivers just aren't meant to do and will not do because he "(the Tec") says so..
Snake oil!
As far as I know no one has yet invented a pill that turns water into gasoline, yet you'll see ads for those very pills in scientific and the like magazines.. I'll have to quote PT Barnum 'theres a sucker born every minute".

Last edited:
I totally agree the real suckers are the ones who think that there are 1000 qualified technicians scattered around the country that all do the same quality work and all they have to do is choose the technician closest to their house.

I totally agree the real suckers are the ones who think that there are 1000 qualified technicians scattered around the country that all do the same quality work and all they have to do is choose the technician closest to their house.
If one is like myself and has no knowledge about how equipment works and never will gain that knowledge for whatever reason need a person with that knowledge, a person who makes their living doing just that be waned!
Whomever one uses or initially decides to use can easily find out if that person has either a good reputation or a bad one.
The world wide web is an amazing tool.
I could make one solid suggestion to those of us that know little to nothing beyond keying a mic. And that's if you hear it's going to take 4 months to get your equipment back stay away. Look elsewhere.
What reputable"Tec" would take on so much work? Especially if it's what he does as a living.
If he knows what he's doing and is indeed feeding himself and family by repairing radio equipment he's sitting at his bench as a secretary sits at hers.a and puts in regular hours.
If it takes a Tec a week to trouble shoot and repair one rig I'd venture to say he's a tinkerer.
Stay away from him.
YouTube is a great tool. When I see someone who claims to be a Tec working on an amp and it's being done on top of a piece of plywood held up between two saw horses while he chain smokes (around equipment) and periodically takes sips of Pepsi from the can that's sitting inches away from the amp he's working on stay away!!
I know a clean nicely equipped bench doesn't mean the guy knows what he's doing but it's a good start in what could be a lengthy search to find the right person who can truly be called a Tec.

Most of the suckers will always find a way to screw themselves. The trend I see is that people flock to the tech that tells them what they want to hear for the best price, especially with amp builders. No need to spend big bucks on a 500 watt amplifier when a 2 pill will do that. Then they just don't understand why the transistors are blown in 6 months. :ROFLMAO:

I tried to help a local set his station and learned my lesson about leading a horse to water. He was asking several people to get the answers he wanted to hear. He wanted a kw amplifier but wouldn't spend the money on a pair of 3-500z's. He's now spent more money on multiple pieces of crap than 1 good amplifier would have cost him. Now he's got reoccurring repair bills in his future just to keep the crap on the air.

Most of the youtube techs make me uneasy. Some of the coolest stuff I've saw from builders I respect has been shared via email or saw in person. They don't want the youtube tech copying what they spent time and money figuring out. These guys aren't as well known and they don't care to be famous. They enjoy the hobby and know you can't make an honest living working on CB stuff.

.... He wanted a kw amplifier but wouldn't spend the money on a pair of 3-500z's. He's now spent more money on multiple pieces of crap than 1 good amplifier would have cost him. Now he's got reoccurring repair bills in his future just to keep the crap on the air. ....

Buy him a Dosy meter and he'll get a kw out of his crap amps with no problem at all.(y)

Most of the suckers will always find a way to screw themselves. The trend I see is that people flock to the tech that tells them what they want to hear for the best price, especially with amp builders. No need to spend big bucks on a 500 watt amplifier when a 2 pill will do that. Then they just don't understand why the transistors are blown in 6 months. :ROFLMAO:

I tried to help a local set his station and learned my lesson about leading a horse to water. He was asking several people to get the answers he wanted to hear. He wanted a kw amplifier but wouldn't spend the money on a pair of 3-500z's. He's now spent more money on multiple pieces of crap than 1 good amplifier would have cost him. Now he's got reoccurring repair bills in his future just to keep the crap on the air.

Most of the youtube techs make me uneasy. Some of the coolest stuff I've saw from builders I respect has been shared via email or saw in person. They don't want the youtube tech copying what they spent time and money figuring out. These guys aren't as well known and they don't care to be famous. They enjoy the hobby and know you can't make an honest living working on CB stuff.
I actually know a person who makes his living doing repairs/refurbs.
He has other endeavors but I'm sure he makes good money.
IMO enough to consider what he does as making a living.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.