• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HG WTF!

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
So here's a wrinkle I hadn't seen before. Detachable collector tabs.

Maybe these transistors are legit Hua Gao 2SC2879.

Or maybe they're counterfeit. Put six of these in a customer's amplifier. He supplied them, so I'm not on the hook for defective parts.

Blew out five of the six transistors. Too much drive, pretty sure.

But when they were removed, the collector tabs fell off four of them.

jrznIr.jpg

Really doesn't look as if the collector tab was anchored inside the transistor case terribly well.

0VCfLQ.jpg

Just when you think you've seen everything.

mQjf8C.jpg

But clearly it pays to "Vewy vewy caweful" with this part.

Yes, that is the very issue I have seen on using the HG transistors. I have had that happen on the 2879's and the 1446's ......
That is the issue that I commented on in another thread about the HG's being inferior quality.
They usually do perform pretty well, just not very robust compared to the "old" Toshiba's or the ST Micro's .......
That is why I have said before that they are very delicate ........

They are only capable of 80% of what the Toshiba's could do. Keep that in mind while you setup the quiescent current and drive levels.

Reactions: Tokin
When I saw the guts of this transistor, it actually had four small transistors on the die to mimic the performance of the 2879's one large wafer. This requires extra space between each of the four used in the aftermarket device to insulate them. That leaves little surface area left to bond the metal tabs to the ceramic case.

Now for the bad news. Notice this is only happening on one tab. The one with the most DC and RF current on it. It's also the one with the most RF heating with thermal expansion and contraction occurring. This "thermal creep" is the likely cause of the collector terminal snapping off the case.

The datasheets for some high power parts suggest that the leads be bent in an upside down "U" shape, as they exit the case to allow for this thermal creep. Bending the tab over a piece of small solid wire is an easy way to do this. Just be careful not to use enough pressure to break the case and don't let solder get across your bend on installation. Bend the tab up before you try and bend it around the wire, to reduce pressure against the case.

Last edited:
Lol, more Chinese junk? As ive stated im not even close to being impressed with any of the toshiba replacements and this doesnt surprise me a bit.
Sorry to see all your hard work go up in smoke. Thats what sucks the most.

I've been saying it for years, if these transistors were any good, they would be in the back of every 12 volt HF rig. They are in none for a reason and it's not price, it's reliability. That type of reliability will not return until we start copying what they are doing again.

Reactions: Tokin
I've been saying it for years, if these transistors were any good, they would be in the back of every 12 volt HF rig. They are in none for a reason and it's not price, it's reliability. That type of reliability will not return until we start copying what they are doing again.
What do most of the new HF rigs use? Anything we can reasonably adapt to our current platform?

Reactions: 2NC995
Most are using Mitsubishi transistors. Older ones were using what was left of the bipolar transistors while newer ones have 12 volt RF MOSFETS. The new case is a little different shape and its input impedance is different enough to require some work to our existing circuits. Here is one part in common use today: RD100HHF1C

The datasheet for this part can be viewed here: http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/s...ghfrequency/siliconrf/discrete/rd100hhf1c.pdf

Last edited:
Reliability and quality supply issues are the reasons I wont mess with todays pills/pill amps. Replacement, not even matched Toshiba's are $200+/pill so buying older units are a crap shoot too. The days of reliability at a decent price are over, for now. Im believing mosfet tech will continue to get better and will replace pills altogether and maybe become the new cheap/reliable. Only time will tell. Until then im going back to the old reliable $40 sweep tube lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.