• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hillbilly's mobile golden screwdriver radio destruction shop I44 and I 49 joplin mo

Status
Not open for further replies.
And people let him work on their radios? That’s amazing. Forget that thought then, I don’t want my friends exposed to such, guess he don’t dress up like Santa either then.

I bet you do though, don’t you? Hahaha.

Reactions: Rwb
Nope i dont dress as santa.
I darn sure dont use hillbilly,that light bulb incident was nuff for me

I’m just bustin’ ya chops buddy.

If you went around tuning radios strictly by the service manual without adding all the swing this and super-mod that stuff, you’d end up with a small following. Believe me, I know from firsthand experience. Most guys don’t want it that way because they’ve been lead to believe you’ve got to clip out half the circuits and see those magical ghost watts.

All it takes is a trip to a hack shop and they show them those magical watts after clipping out a limiter and suddenly you don’t know what you’re doing to a radio - credibility lost. Word spreads. Fast.

I don’t care though, doesn’t bother me. Proof is in the pudding.

But how those shops, especially mobile ones, stay in business is beyond me. You can only move around so much and with the internet, your reputation isn’t hard to find out.

Saw video this morning put up by someone I won’t name but he’s showing a 955 done supposedly by Chris Holland @ The Radio Shop. I always thought Chris was a pretty jam-up radio guy. And the work he shows doesn’t look like Chris would’ve done that. I guess there’s no brotherhood or whatever in this business or hobby. Reminds me of the dump trucking business, it’s a cut throat business too.

Yes tis cutthroat in dumptruckin. I kinda figured you were tryina pull my chain haha

The average engineer in China earns
120,000 Chinese yuan yearly which equates to $17,249.18 US dollars per year.
No American in their right mind would take that job.
yes but chinese crap is cheep n he might be able to buy 10 times as much as 1 here on a $80000 salery

The average engineer in China earns
120,000 Chinese yuan yearly which equates to $17,249.18 US dollars per year.
No American in their right mind would take that job.

Well, that was actually sarcasm, I wasn't being serious. What I meant was they seem to believe that it's necessary to remove parts from a circuit that someone with more education and obviously, smarts, designed. I'm sure you picked up on that though but I'm just wanting to clarify myself in case anyone didn't understand that.

Now, to open a big can of worms - let's hit on the NPC mod for a moment. Some people love it and others hate it, I don't know for sure there's a happy median on the subject. For the guys that like it and do this to radios, why don't the manufacturers just install this from the factory? I guess RF Limited did basically with the TGM, though, maybe it's not exactly the same thing. I'd go as far as saying obviously it isn't but possibly it is.

The guys that don't like it, they'll respond with "that's exactly why they don't install this at the factory". And that's a good point, valid. I've heard radios with this "mod" performed to them that sounded really darn good. Now that's another topic for debate, "sounds good", the human ear at such a level can't detect distortion from "quality". Of course at certain levels you can hear distortion but you can't listen to a radio over the air and say whether or not this has been performed. Well, you could if it's done bad enough and the signal is just awful and bleeding 10 up and 10 down but you (hopefully) understand what I'm trying to say.

Now, 17k a year is pretty good money in China and it's pretty good money in this country for someone who isn't earning that much but you're right, an engineer in this country wouldn't take such a salary unless they'd lost their marbles. But if I was offered 17K for my opinion and I knew it depended on a "yes" to an NPC mod or removing a limiter from a circuit, I'd say hell yes in a minute and collect my check. And that's even though I know it's wrong...

To me it's been a personal choice to the end user.

Show them what it is, do the best to show them what it does, and then let them choose what to do on it.

Now, maybe that is why there are techs out there that hate these mods like the NPC - because those that don't install them right - always blame someone else for their mistake.

Can't help it if they can't follow instructions...

I can only do so much...

To go on about the NPC mod - well ,that would take several pages and no I am not down on that. Only I want to add is the NPC REMOVES part of the audio thru clipping - Billy Dean Ward (bless his heart) fought many other techs tooth and nail over the concept. Bill Eitner and him shared many a moment of explanation of their sides - both on Usenet as well as CB Tricks.

But what made it popular goes back to what you said Sith...that its' Ghost Watts these people want. It's like an Urban Myth - you can't escape the fact that you see something - but you cannot process it as being LESS than what it is.

Hence - the proof is in the facts, but the observation doesn't follow.

So it goes back to even Asymmetry mods - many a radio dies under the efforts people that don't know what they're doing. Then, it takes people like us to make that chassis a phoenix and rise from it's ashes. Only to burn to the ground again by that same user watching vids on YT. With the notion, thinking that they can do the same thing they do so why didn't it work. Sorry to tell you, but you were never told about another trick you never realized - it's edited folks - you don't see their tricks - else they lose their share of the niche market that radio mods have become. So the editing behind the vids, fails to demonstrate the actual events that need to take place to install that mod.

So as long as "Creative editing" persists - they will follow - and like Elvis, it magically shows up somewhere. The Watergate follows and people are left to wonder what they heard and saw - so the very Myth continues feeding upon the very speculation others add as the fertilizer to feed the next generation. Because they don't understand and again the proof fits the facts - but the observation fails to prove otherwise.

Oh yes, I’ve watched many a BDW thread myself and you’re right, a 100k BTU burner couldn’t get any hotter.

And oh could we get this thread and several more shut down on the topic of edited videos. Edited videos, bad camera angles, incoherent rambling, finger pointing, the list goes on.

Good point made there though and brings a certain guy to mind with the 900w 98VHP radios. He claims a simple drop in of transistors but that’s simply not true, I know firsthand because I’ve tried it several times. I tried it just to see if it was possible and real, something is being left out. We’ve had this discussion already though, haven’t we?

And while researching some of these points, I came across this http://cbradioblog.com/ which contains some entertaining blogs.

And while researching some of these points, I came across this http://cbradioblog.com/ which contains some entertaining blogs.

To that I find...

Smiley.jpg

That is from them...​

From the link:
http://cbradioblog.com/four-months-in-hate-mail-and-hate-comments/
Stick to your Wabi-Sabi Leap Frog. You will never have a Fine Tuned radio.
Trust me I don't want a stock radio, aligned on a "tuned" bench.

U Mad brah? Wabi-Sabi broke dick no workie-workie?
It works quite well actually, no loss from factory output, 300% modulation wide open, and 20 HZ - 20KHz.... (it can go lower than 20 Hertz, but why)

Leap Frog is ghay!
PPffft, it's 2019 is that even an insult anymore?
Should I respond with "yo momma"?
BTW "bro" I don't own or operate that blog, I don't know who does.

Reactions: Rwb
At the flyin J .i drove by n snapped these photos.he seen me n pointed 1 finger at me.obviously we know eachother ,no love lost.
The antenna looks mean on the red usexpress truck opps wait its not on his truck.
Here ya go THE REAL PORK CHOPView attachment 26470 View attachment 26471 View attachment 26472
Rwb its me personally that you are bashing in this thread. By your own admission ypu have never been in the shop. Yes its an RV....simply to keep overhead down.. Ive did this for a living for 32 years.....and have a 5 star rating on My facebook page.

You never did state what I did wrong if anything. Please provide proof...or better yet....come by.

I personally dont appreciate undesrrved bashing. Perhaps we should have a face to face conversation....if I have made a mistake....I will certainly make it right. What was the dastardly deed I supposetly2 done??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated