1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Holy crap!! Look at this Navaho!!

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by 357, Jun 12, 2018.

1. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

This thing is stock till you pull the cover screw out a bit, after that the clarifier is unlocked and the PA button cycles though extra channels starting low then goes up.
    I still haven't figured it out.
    The squelch is a mic gain for ssb and am.

wtf??

IMG_3121.JPG IMG_3122.JPG IMG_3123.JPG IMG_3124.JPG IMG_3125.JPG IMG_3126.JPG IMG_3127.JPG IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3129.JPG

2. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

seriously....what the hell?:eek:

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  3. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

This had to be someone that did this type thing in WW2 or something.
    A Hogans hero

Shadetree Mechanic and 357magnum like this.
  4. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Found is Section 4 Page 34 of the Owners Manual.

"There Are No User Serviceable Parts Inside.

Warranty Will Be Void If Seal Is Broken.

But If You Remove This Screw, You're Screwed."

kaos513, 357magnum and 357 like this.
  5. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

or blessed..with an unlocked radio

6. 357magnum

357magnum Well-Known Member

Looks like someone never should have broke that seal !:eek::ROFLMAO:

357 likes this.
  7. Handy Andy

"Excuse me sir, but this radio squeals..."

"Not it doesn't! That is it's - built-in alarm..."

What are the values on those crystals?

Are they crystals or detonators...

Di-lithium or Folgers?

The PA switch would more than likely be a "stepper" a logic function that toggles thru all those Xtals - are they rotary relay switches? IF so - that means you can have up to 8 poles or so on each, X2 - 8 x 8 = 64 steps or use 1 pole to step the other - 8 x 7 = 56 as - and if any of the Xtals were around 10MHz this setup would work. That's why I'm wondering if what I see in your photo is what others tried to do using individual Xtals like 10.70 and 11.325 - a means to "escape" quickly to another band. IT's undoing those and putting them back to stock - they're like time bombs...you never know if you're going to get it to work right again. Similar to BCD rotary - but that is parallel binaries, this is swapping in Xtals that would make the PLL see a different timebase clock and produce an output based upon the timebase Xtal swapped in, not just correct BINARY from the BCD switch - an Achilles' heel to the PLL ROM - if you can't make it jump to it, change the clock...it only needs to match/BFO to the VCO...just can't see the frequencies...

Now I know how they can do it, a personalized radio that you can make look normal - but at night, when no one is around, they open up the closet and find that magical screwdriver - and with a few turns of this screw, located on this panel ...

Ranks right up there with the Cobra 142 and 2000's that used the '2290 as a booster - watch an S-9 go to a S-20 cherry patch just for turning up the Dynamike.

I hope you can unlock those secrets - because that work looks to be done in an era of Cold War Blues. Where Oddballs we're not just a metaphor for "Crazy Dudes".

You've got a classic on your hands...Lucky Guy!

:+> Andy <+:

#7 Handy Andy, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  8. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Nice work, I would keep it as it is.
    Mike

mrgumby and 357 like this.
  9. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

Those are all relays.
    Every time you hit PA it toggles another relay and that changes the band.

10. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

So, the metal 'cans' that look like a crystal with 8 wires are in fact hermetically-sealed aircraft-grade DPDT relays.

And there's a larger plastic relay that's been added beneath the pc board against the rear panel.

And if even one wire comes loose from all that stuff you could play the devil figuring out where to put it back.

The 'stealth' switch behind one case screw reminds me of a customer who had one of these radios 30 years ago. He was scared the FCC would drop in to visit, so all the wires that added his upper channels first went through four small toggle switches inside the radio. Flip them all to the rear of the radio, and only stock channels would come out of it. Flip them forward, and the front-panel switches that had been hijacked for the extra channels would become active.

Never could figure out how he would have enough warning to remove the cover, flip his stealth switches and put the cover back on before a fed could have a look at his radio.

But even by the late 1980s the odds of that happening were vanishingly small. It was his radio and his paranoia, so I just hooked it up like he wanted.

11. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

That is so cool some body knew how to do relay logic and it survived to this day.
    Study it very carefully so as not to break any wires or leads. Those relays probably are not available any more.

12. Dmans

Dmans Well-Known Member

Inventive!

13. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

That kind of relay almost never goes bad unless you put a load current through it and wear out the contact points. Military/aircraft grade parts usually come from government-surplus sales.

14. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

ladder logic!!!

working in the automation industry, i see old pictures all the time of big panels full of relays that were used to perform tasks and calculations.

Nowadays PLC's take care of all that stuff and instead of searching and metering for a bad relay contact, i just have to look at which light on the PLC isn't in the state it should be.

I wonder if the original owner of that radio worked as a tech for an automobile manufacturer, as they were one of the originators of "automating" a process using relays and ladder logic.

cool radio!
    more pics!
    LC

357magnum and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  15. Handy Andy

In my early college days, We had to do Boolean algebra using binary, octal and hex - hated the stuff. But this reminds me of those days where you "loaded" the instruction - "Fetched" the result - these "steppers" we're like from WW2 era - old tube types or very early solid state - before TT and L became the norm. You "walked thru" the program using these "rotary" relays - and it'd sound a lot like you hit a jackpot once the printed result arrived...

They used J/K and Master/Slave Flip-Flop setups for the Boolean AND/OR and their opposites like NAND, NOR or XOR type of stuff - all in Binary - UGH...

Good to see there was another use for them - if only for the novelty of having a relay "toggle" PLL lines or swap in a crystal or two...kinda' makes it look "official" - hidden from the KGB - James Bond - Professor "Q" and his gadgets.

(y)(y)

:+> Andy <+: