• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Home power supply for linear amp - ever used one of these type?

I can say I have ran a Powermax pm4-100lk on 4 stage mode hooked to a Neptune nt12-200 200AH gel deep cycle battery and the setup runs great. The most I hit it with was a 12 pill but it held it great. I have nothing but good things to say about the Powermax stuff. I also hear great things about megawatt.
I have a powermax 100 amp and want to know what voltage I should set it for and should I buy a big battery to run with it or can I use it by itself directly with the radio. The radio is a RCI2970N3 which is 300+ watts so I guess about the same as a 4 pill amp.

I have a powermax 100 amp and want to know what voltage I should set it for and should I buy a big battery to run with it or can I use it by itself directly with the radio. The radio is a RCI2970N3 which is 300+ watts so I guess about the same as a 4 pill amp.
Your 100A is plenty. I run my stuff right around 14.4 to 14.5v

I'll reopen this thread a moment, or two, before it gets too old.
I just connected my new MegaWatt S-700-12 50amp. I'm running an AT 5555n and a 203P amp. Good for 100 or so output. Driving with 3-4 watts AM for SWR checks and max output tests.
I was using a RadioShack Linear PS 10amp for the radio, and a battery+charger setup for the linear. The RS doesn't make a sound, and supplied the radio just fine.
This MegaWatts' fan is quite annoying. They advertise 10db lower fan noise. Lower than what? I'll put it under the back of the desk
Anyhow, pumping out whatever power I can, no lights dim on the equipment, voltage is set at 13.8v and stays there. One problem, my Wife has a touch lamp that blinks, dims, turns on-off, etc when I transmit. I'll have to fix the lamp with a manual 3 way socket.

Reactions: S&W357
I just connected my new MegaWatt S-700-12 50amp. I'm running an AT 5555n and a 203P amp. Good for 100 or so output. Driving with 3-4 watts AM for SWR checks and max output tests.
I was using a RadioShack Linear PS 10amp for the radio, and a battery+charger setup for the linear. The RS doesn't make a sound, and supplied the radio just fine.
This MegaWatts' fan is quite annoying. They advertise 10db lower fan noise. Lower than what? I'll put it under the back of the desk
Anyhow, pumping out whatever power I can, no lights dim on the equipment, voltage is set at 13.8v and stays there. One problem, my Wife has a touch lamp that blinks, dims, turns on-off, etc when I transmit. I'll have to fix the lamp with a manual 3 way socket.
I own a megawatt and it's served well for several years. It's the version before your quieter version so it is a little on the loud side. Mounted it under the bench and I get used to it.

Now the touch lamp, I once had a 98vhp that caused touch lamp issues in the house. Turned out the radio was a little dirty so rfi was causing those issues like you describe.

Install a 50 ohm resistor in series with the fan lead. It will cut the fan speed down and make a huge difference.

For now, I'll leave the warranty tape intact. I put it out of the way on the back corner of the desk. It's tolerable

I'm impressed with this MW 50 amp PS. It showed me a 12v 8ah battery isn't what I thought it was. It worked OK, but powering the radio and the 203p with separate power feeds woke the amp up. It went from PEP 100-110w to 150-160w output. Tuned with an AM carrier at 4-5w input. My first contact this morning was WR932 in Germany on 38L, using a Sirio GTE 27 on the chimney.
I'm happy.

For now, I'll leave the warranty tape intact. I put it out of the way on the back corner of the desk. It's tolerable

I'm impressed with this MW 50 amp PS. It showed me a 12v 8ah battery isn't what I thought it was. It worked OK, but powering the radio and the 203p with separate power feeds woke the amp up. It went from PEP 100-110w to 150-160w output. Tuned with an AM carrier at 4-5w input. My first contact this morning was WR932 in Germany on 38L, using a Sirio GTE 27 on the chimney.
I'm happy.

If it's any help, John at Megawatt told me to add the resistor. He's cool with it.

I got a 66 amp HP computer power supply converted to run cb amp for like $45 off Ebay. Only down side using it you will hear the fan noise through your radio when your running it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated