• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do CBs really make your life interesting?

ThunderStriker10

Sep 11, 2016
I am looking to get my first CB Radio and would like to get some feedback and how to make it's use the most effective. Aside from these radio's widely documented uses in emergencies how do you use them to find more enrichment in your personal life? By this I mean using a CB to find local (or nonlocal) people, organizations, businesses or landmarks that pertain to or share the same interests or lifestyle as you or using the CB as a lifeline in times of need. I assume a lot of you reading have vast experience with CB radios so I hope you can help me understand them further.

here where i live at there are a lot of warehouses,, a lot,,, so it makes me feel good to help the truckers find the right warehouse they are looking for,,,,and being just 2 miles from interstate 4 i can give out info when the road is closed daily for accidents,,, ya know how to safely by pass,,,, helping the drivers goes back to when i was a lot younger and the trucker/cb shows/movies were popular,,, i have been doing cb since 1974,,,so it has been a long ride i guess,,,,

I4 hey. Whereabouts midnight special? Just curious as I am in Daytona not far from I4. Drive it almost daily for work!! Have spoken to many from east to west coast of FL while traveling that road!! That is cool that you help the drivers find their way. God knows how messed up that hwy is all the time and with the closing of many roads it can be a big help!!
I have made many friends myself using a CB radio while traveling for work. Have actually had dinner with people I have met and made some damn good friends along the way. From Michigan to South Florida! And locally we have a large group of guys that talk with each other almost daily. Some I've never met in person, but call them friends as I know they would come to my aid if I asked. Just some of my experiences with using a CB/SSB radio.

222dbfl,,, i am in plant city area,,,between plant city and lakeland there are a lot of grocery warehouses and here lately a amazon shipping warehouse and a few auto parts warehouse,,,,

Reactions: Slowmover
I know the area well!! Just out of my range to get to you. Although I have spoken to many over your way. Used to travel I4 daily to Lakeland area where ATT warehouse is located across from the airport. Maybe one day if conditions let it I'll be able to hear you. Anyhow, I know the area and man there are a bunch of warehouses! Nice of you to help others getting to their destination. (y)(y)

Reactions: Slowmover
Interstate road condition reports on 27.185 MHz (CH19) when mobile. I've always been one to give smokey and road hazard reports.

Local unstructured conversation within a 75 mile radius when on the base station. Probably at least 25+ local folks in there on the 11 meter CB band during the evenings due to my close proximity to a major US city. Ham radio is very structured, not that its a bad thing in any way, but sometimes you just want to quick key and interject a joke to get a laugh from the other operators without all the BS. To me " CQ Contest CQ Contest, blah blah blah, you're 5-9 and 5, 73 " gets a bit boring after a while.

CB get-togethers. We used to call them "coffee breaks" way back, but Its usually a couple of operators getting together for lunch or a cookout or something similar. Oh yeah, sometimes we sell or buy used radio equipment at these.

Continued exposure to electronics helps keep the skill set.

Hobby that keeps me around the house instead of at the bar, haha. I use that one when the better-half complains about seeing an antenna or radio related purchase (y)

Emergency communication during major weather events and power outages.

Radios just look cool IMO.

ye4SGmZ.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?