• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do CBs really make your life interesting?

I have made quite a few good friends and also met a bunch of buttheads I would never let in my house.
Since 1980 I have learned two notable things:
1) Some people can't handle an honest radio check.
2) Never assume because a woman who sounds sexy on the radio will look sexy!!!!!!!
LOL!

I was on CB for only about a year and a half back around 1970. I learned a lot about radio during that time. I made friends with a handful of guys who were CBers back then and we all got our ham radio licenses at about the same time. I still keep in very regular contact with all but a couple who have been silent keys since about 2000 give or take.

Listening around on CB from time to time there is very little going on around here at all anymore. A few guys on channel 8 that seem to know each other well and a few guys up around channel 38 or so on sideband. All kinds of channels used to be very busy in the evening back when I was on it and that was some years before the big "CB Boom".

Reactions: Slowmover
I have made quite a few good friends and also met a bunch of buttheads I would never let in my house.
Since 1980 I have learned two notable things:
1) Some people can't handle an honest radio check.
2) Never assume because a woman who sounds sexy on the radio will look sexy!!!!!!!
LOL!

I would hear a lady in Kentucky advertising on the radio for a restaurant off of Interstate 65 she would give the advertisement for lunch specials and then she would always talk about their nanner nanner nanner pudding and she really sounded good. well finally one day I was passing through so I stopped. Well let's just say that she weighed about 200 lbs more in person then she did on the radio...good food and very friendly people there. I believe it's in Corbin,KY

I would hear a lady in Kentucky advertising on the radio for a restaurant off of Interstate 65 she would give the advertisement for lunch specials and then she would always talk about their nanner nanner nanner pudding and she really sounded good. well finally one day I was passing through so I stopped. Well let's just say that she weighed about 200 lbs more in person then she did on the radio...good food and very friendly people there. I believe it's in Corbin,KY
...and now for an obligatory "Video killed the radio star!"
You never can tell just by the voice and it is amazing to me what I pictured before I met my local 11 meter crew, they are good people though, mostly retired folks who have been on the CB for longer than I've been around. (I couldn't tell by voice alone)

For me it's a way to socialize/communicate without using the Internet or traditional phones, while helping me stay interested in a hobby that can help me better my electronics knowledge, and more useful than Arduino in my mind for this. (Having an emergency communications device is also a huge plus)

One day I will have my ticket and avoid the silly CB vs. Ham battle, to me radio is radio. ( Structured or not )
I see some sides to both arguments, truth is the splatter box operators on 11 meters give everyone a bad wrap.

Needing power just to be able to key and be heard over the next guys setup with an amplifier just makes it more challenging, and mud duck is a derogatory term in my eyes.
It's almost as if, "you can't key on ducks" then you get no respect or appreciation from the old timers who value their "pill boxes" more than a clean signal.
Even with the ugly side of CB, I still enjoy it.
-LeapFrog

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
Codeman that is funny you speak of that as I too have heard her on the air while traveling back and forth up in that area myself LOL! Boy they sure don't look like the way they sound do they. 99.9% of the time anyhow!!

Reactions: Slowmover
And same thing LeapFrog, some of the gents I speak with are very old and some in their 50's. Like you said, hard to tell how young a person is by just speaking to them on the radio. I'm only 41 and enjoy speaking with the older crowd. They have way more good stories and knowledge to offer than most others my age! Guess I was brought up that way as my father is 81. All of my uncles and cousins were much older than I and I hung out with them a lot, hunting and fishing and such. Like I said, learned a lot from them and still do!! Respect your elders as they are the ones that pass down the knowledge to us whipper snappers!! That is JMHO.
Have a great day to all and don't forget to get out and vote today!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.