• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do you hook up a....

I use xlr cable, male on one end and female on the other, just in and out thru
your rack gear. you can get the cable pretty cheap on ebay, just look for xlr patch cable if you go that rout

I use xlr cable, male on one end and female on the other, just in and out thru
your rack gear. you can get the cable pretty cheap on ebay, just look for xlr patch cable if you go that rout

The one I am looking for is 3 pin xlr to 4 pin cobra/yaesu same same....the others I have. :)

There's no need for a 3 pin xlr for your setup now. If you go a low z mic, you'll have to buy other stuff. If you preamp the mic you have, you'll have the clean powerful audio. Then if you want to blend it, get an equalizer. Or if you want the w2ihy setup, go that route, great, and its plug and play. I guess I misunderstood and thought you might want to stay cheap. If you had bought that mic at R&L it would have been $59. Then $59 for a preamp, and you'll have as strong and better sounding then the Astatic lollipop mics and for less then what they cost new. When they were new.
"IMHO"
Jerry

How do I hook the HM-12 to a preamp?

Hey Eastside, post 54 of this thread I explained how to hook your HM12 to a preamp. Two wires stay on the 4 pin mic connector, PTT, ground. Two wires from mic audio, mic ground connect to 1/4" male, audio to tip, ground to sleeve. This plugs into preamp. You need a 1/4" patch cable one end goes into preamp out, take off end of the other end of patch cable, the audio and ground will connect to the audio and ground that goes onto the four pin mic connector going into radio along with the PTT and ground. Have you ever wired a mic connection to a radio before?

Hey Eastside, post 54 of this thread I explained how to hook your HM12 to a preamp. Two wires stay on the 4 pin mic connector, PTT, ground. Two wires from mic audio, mic ground connect to 1/4" male, audio to tip, ground to sleeve. This plugs into preamp. You need a 1/4" patch cable one end goes into preamp out, take off end of the other end of patch cable, the audio and ground will connect to the audio and ground that goes onto the four pin mic connector going into radio along with the PTT and ground. Have you ever wired a mic connection to a radio before?

Nope....do you know anyone who makes these cables? :)

This is the reply I got from my e mail to heil....I e mailed them because Robb said they make custom cables.

This is a Heil cable. If you don't want to build your own cable, you can call up Bob Heil and he will make one up for you that will work for what ever radio you want. Cost is about $40.
We do not offer a cable for use with our amateur radio products with CB radio.

Thank you,

Jerry Lynch

On Jan 15, 2012, at 7:19 PM, Randy wrote:

> I need cables to connect my new HM-12 to a preamp then to my Cobra 4 pin CB radio....thanks.

This is a Heil Cable. You can see the 'Heil' name/logo printed on the 4 pin plug. I got it from a friend that got it from Heil.
SO, they did make them.

3593d1288634740t-great-mic-sound-your-citizens-band-radio-export-radio-part-4-pict0288.jpg

AS far as not telling the whole story, that isn't the case. There will be differences from radio model to radio model and mode to mode in terms of freq response. That is true. But it isn't so great that you cannot make changes with some EQing if you want to use it on SSB, AM, and FM. Doesn't mean that you won't favor the pro gear over the traditional mics just the same - every time.

Best to keep the modulation at/below 100%.
Otherwise, all you are doing is adding distortion - the very thing you are trying to avoid!

The BEST way to monitor the sound if you are going to use an EQ on the mic - is to use another radio as a monitor. Just put a dummy load on it and turn the RF Gain down real low. Hook it up to a 3 way external speaker (or quality headphones) and have at it until you get it to where you like it and on-air comments from a local radio op can verify the job done right. That's it.

ALL radios will benefit using pro audio gear over either an Astatic D-104 or Turner+3. Unless you would like to dispute the specs between the audio gear and CB power mics. BTW - there is no contest. A world of difference between the distortion, sensitivity, and frequency response characteristics between these two methods of getting the job done.

The D-104 and Turner+3 are fine mics.
But they just cannot compete with a cleaner preamp and a real pro mic element.

Last edited:
This is a Heil Cable. You can see the 'Heil' name/logo printed on the 4 pin plug. I got it from a friend that got it from Heil.
SO, they did make them.

3593d1288634740t-great-mic-sound-your-citizens-band-radio-export-radio-part-4-pict0288.jpg

AS far as not telling the whole story, that isn't the case. There will be differences from radio model to radio model and mode to mode in terms of freq response. Doesn't mean that you won't favor the pro gear over the traditional mics just the same.

ALL radio will benefit using pro audio gear over either an Astatic D-104 or Turner+3. Unless you would like to dispute the specs between the audio gear and CB power mics. BTW - there is no contest. A world of difference between the distortion, sensitivity, and frequency response characteristics between these two methods of getting the job done.

Yep....I got one of those with the hm-12......what I need is a 3 pin xlr cable with that 4 pin ptt end on it. :)

3593d1288634740t-great-mic-sound-your-citizens-band-radio-export-radio-ALL radios will benefit using pro audio gear over either an Astatic D-104 or Turner+3. Unless you would like to dispute the specs between the audio gear and CB power mics. BTW - there is no contest. A world of difference between the distortion, sensitivity, and frequency response characteristics between these two methods of getting the job done.

The D-104 and Turner+3 are fine mics.
But they just cannot compete with a cleaner preamp and a real pro mic element.

Not sure I agree 100% with this. Better communications mics are designed to be used with commnications gear and the standard tx bandwidth of that gear. Pro audio gear is not designed for this purpose. You can't jam 16 Khz of audio response into a 2.5 Khz wide SSB signal no matter how hard you try or want to. Conversly, if the guy on the other end is listening with a narrow bandwidth, even $10K of audio gear isn't going to sound any different than a good communications mic on the receivers end.

I've experimemnted with the gear and made and listened to recordings of my own audio at various bandwidths with other hams doing the same thing. At the end of the day I found the rack equipment fun to play but but I get the same results with a good heil mic and no rack gear at all. Even pushing an Icom 756 Pro II a little past it's 3.0 Khz wide tx bandwidth setting. It was fun and I got great audio reports but I got the same with the GM4 connected to the rig.

have you uread any of what W8JI has to say about essb and trying to push transcsivers beyond their audio limits? Pretty interesting stuff.

Not sure I agree 100% with this. Better communications mics are designed to be used with commnications gear and the standard tx bandwidth of that gear. Pro audio gear is not designed for this purpose. You can't jam 16 Khz of audio response into a 2.5 Khz wide SSB signal no matter how hard you try or want to. Conversly, if the guy on the other end is listening with a narrow bandwidth, even $10K of audio gear isn't going to sound any different than a good communications mic on the receivers end.

I've experimemnted with the gear and made and listened to recordings of my own audio at various bandwidths with other hams doing the same thing. At the end of the day I found the rack equipment fun to play but but I get the same results with a good heil mic and no rack gear at all. Even pushing an Icom 756 Pro II a little past it's 3.0 Khz wide tx bandwidth setting. It was fun and I got great audio reports but I got the same with the GM4 connected to the rig.

have you uread any of what W8JI has to say about essb and trying to push transcsivers beyond their audio limits? Pretty interesting stuff.
Right; you cannot get 16kc's out of 2.8kc's. Many radios aren't that narrow, as 6db/octave filters aren't all that steep and the real width is often 3.3-3.5kc's. But you can get more out of the available bandwidth you do have by using better audio gear. And FWIW, Heil's best mic for audio quality is the PR-40. The rest are just so-so. You won't find too many of their mics in any studio or live application with the exception of the PR-40.

What W8JI says, I don't know and therefore cannot say. I'll match my audio background in what he does with his Ham background though. Studied in school/studio and have done live sound for the pro's.

The human ear gets 90% of its info from 100hz to 4khz range. So, making the best of the available range can be done easily if one knows how. Not that hard to do and can be done by any radio operator. Mic sensitivity/db change with freq/overall freq response can make a vast difference when picking a mic.
Pivotal.

For that reason, large capsule condenser mics are best. Since Eastside is a musician, the chance of him owning a Shure SM-58 are fairly high. He can use that mic and do much better than the Heil he has - IMO. Might not be the best choice, but a very nice choice all the same.

Perhaps you should listen to a eSSB radio that is TXing just 4kc's wide if you haven't already. Mind blowing for a Ham radio. Or CB for that matter. I think there is resentment and resistance in the Ham community to new things - even modest ones such as audio improvements. For a hobby built upon the principle of growth and learning/using new things, at times it is anything but. There is no harm done whatsoever to running 4kc's wide. Ridiculous.

As far as Eastside's mic cable, I would have to say that the 4 wire plug to his mic can be rewired to a 3 pin plug. The extra wire for the 4 pin plug/mic is to allow for the +8v from a Ham radio to power the electret mic element (a kind of condenser element). That's a guess; but a fair one. So, one of the radio/plug wires is to feed this voltage to this element. Eastside will either need to re-wire his existing cable, or sell it and the mic to someone and get another cable. Since he doesn't get involved in soldering and wants everything 'plug and play' he may need to start over. Or just keep what he has until he is ready to go for it.
;)

Last edited:
Right; you cannot get 16kc's out of 2.8kc's. Many radios aren't that narrow, as 6db/octave filters aren't all that steep and the real width is often 3.3-3.5kc's. But you can get more out of the available bandwidth you do have by using better audio gear. And FWIW, Heil's best mic for audio quality is the PR-40. The rest are just so-so. You won't find too many of their mics in any studio or live application with the exception of the PR-40.

What W8JI says, I don't know and therefore cannot say. I'll match my audio background in what he does with his Ham background though. Studied in school/studio and have done live sound for the pro's.

The human ear gets 90% of its info from 100hz to 4khz range. So, making the best of the available range can be done easily if one knows how. Not that hard to do and can be done by any radio operator. Mic sensitivity/db change with freq/overall freq response can make a vast difference when picking a mic.
Pivotal.

For that reason, large capsule condenser mics are best. Since Eastside is a musician, the chance of him owning a Shure SM-58 are fairly high. He can use that mic and do much better than the Heil he has - IMO. Might not be the best choice, but a very nice choice all the same.

Perhaps you should listen to a eSSB radio that is TXing just 4kc's wide if you haven't already. Mind blowing for a Ham radio. Or CB for that matter. I think there is resentment and resistance in the Ham community to new things - even modest ones such as audio improvements. For a hobby built upon the principle of growth and learning/using new things, at times it is anything but. There is no harm done whatsoever to running 4kc's wide. Ridiculous.

As far as Eastside's mic cable, I would have to say that the 4 wire plug to his mic can be rewired to a 3 pin plug. The extra wire for the 4 pin plug/mic is to allow for the +8v from a Ham radio to power the electret mic element (a kind of condenser element). That's a guess; but a fair one. So, one of the radio/plug wires is to feed this voltage to this element. Eastside will either need to re-wire his existing cable, or sell it and the mic to someone and get another cable. Since he doesn't get involved in soldering and wants everything 'plug and play' he may need to start over. Or just keep what he has until he is ready to go for it.
;)

Yep...wanna build me some cables? :)

Just a heads up for proper wiring.
I believe this should be in the paperwork that came with the mic.
I don't believe there's any 8v to that mic. Pretty much like a standard four pin.

"The ‘soft touch’ PTT switch is wired to pins 3 and 4 for transmitter control with the microphone signal fed to pins 1 and 2 of the 4 pin XLR. The Heil HM -12 uses the HEIL CC-1 Connecting Cables."

It looks like it should be wired this way.
PTT, GND
Audio, GND

I have the same mic, sort of. It's the GM-5 with the wide and narrow switch, with the soft touch PTT. There's no voltage from radio, but then it's on a Kenwood. I really don't believe any of the four pin HF rigs have 8v from the radio. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.