• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do you hook up a....

Just a heads up for proper wiring.
I believe this should be in the paperwork that came with the mic.
I don't believe there's any 8v to that mic. Pretty much like a standard four pin.

"The ‘soft touch’ PTT switch is wired to pins 3 and 4 for transmitter control with the microphone signal fed to pins 1 and 2 of the 4 pin XLR. The Heil HM -12 uses the HEIL CC-1 Connecting Cables."

It looks like it should be wired this way.
PTT, GND
Audio, GND

I have the same mic, sort of. It's the GM-5 with the wide and narrow switch, with the soft touch PTT. There's no voltage from radio, but then it's on a Kenwood. I really don't believe any of the four pin HF rigs have 8v from the radio. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Think there are two 4 pins on this cable he is using. SOME Heil mics use a 4 pin XLR plug on the mic itself. So, that is the 4 pin I was talking about. In case that wasn't clear.

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought you were thinking there was 8v wiring from the Yaesu since that's he had.
I didn't think any of the four pin radios have any 8v feed to the mics, that's what I was meaning.
Bad thing about typing, sometimes it may seem there's some bad feelings or issue implied, but far from it from me. These are very interesting threads.
I was just trying to keep it simple for him. But since he doesn't solder, I don't know what to say, yikes.
Being a cb, I'm not sure even w2ihy will build him a cable.
Eastside, I can't tell you enough how easy it is to learn to solder, at least good enough for something like this you're doing. Best time to learn is right now! :D
I'll keep my comments off the audio stuff.

Robb, a side point, have you ever talked to a W9FAM? Look him up on QRZ.
Very interesting man. He's 90 now, owns two radio stations, one in St Louis and one in
Kokomo Indiana.
He dissected a Icom 7800 and disabled all the inboard audio and has his home studio with about, I believe he told me, $17,000 worth of equipment going into it now.
Probably steeling from work. :D
i had to laugh as he's using a Neumann. I asked him if it was the 87U and just gasped, said that was too expensive for him. His was only $1000 mic,
I about rolled out of my chair laughing at that one. I guess it was late, and the timing was like Bud and Lou of times gone by.

Sorry, I thought you were thinking there was 8v wiring from the Yaesu since that's he had.
I didn't think any of the four pin radios have any 8v feed to the mics, that's what I was meaning.
Bad thing about typing, sometimes it may seem there's some bad feelings or issue implied, but far from it from me. These are very interesting threads.
I was just trying to keep it simple for him. But since he doesn't solder, I don't know what to say, yikes.
Being a cb, I'm not sure even w2ihy will build him a cable.
Eastside, I can't tell you enough how easy it is to learn to solder, at least good enough for something like this you're doing. Best time to learn is right now! :D
I'll keep my comments off the audio stuff.

Robb, a side point, have you ever talked to a W9FAM? Look him up on QRZ.
Very interesting man. He's 90 now, owns two radio stations, one in St Louis and one in
Kokomo Indiana.
He dissected a Icom 7800 and disabled all the inboard audio and has his home studio with about, I believe he told me, $17,000 worth of equipment going into it now.
Probably steeling from work. :D
i had to laugh as he's using a Neumann. I asked him if it was the 87U and just gasped, said that was too expensive for him. His was only $1000 mic,
I about rolled out of my chair laughing at that one. I guess it was late, and the timing was like Bud and Lou of times gone by.

Oh I have tried over the yrs....just cannot get the knack of it....always get too big a blob of solder....I am good at a lot of things...soldering is not one of them. :)

The folks at Heil didn't say they didn't make cables - I know they do because I have a few of them.

This is what they said:

We do not offer a cable for use with our amateur radio products with CB radio.

The folks at Heil didn't say they didn't make cables - I know they do because I have a few of them.

This is what they said:

We do not offer a cable for use with our amateur radio products with CB radio.

The guy at Heil told me that they quit making custom order cables 5yrs ago.....I have the e mail.

$70 mic and $32 cable.

DSC_0001-17.jpg

I don't understand why Heil does not make the necessary cables to connect the hm-12 to a mic preamp and then to a 4 pin yaesu....which would work with my galaxy?

I think I figured out a way.....take off the 4 pin xlr and solder on a phone jack on the heil cable to connect the preamp to the radio. :)

By gosh I think he's getting it!!

Maybe.

I would have used a XLR 3 pin plug so it can go directly into the mic.

http://www.scotaudio.com/wiring.htm

That page shows how to wire it to an unbalanced radio input; because a radio has an unbalanced input.
That way, you can plug it into a preamp, and then use another standard mic cable for the mic to preamp.
Done.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe.

I would have used a XLR 3 pin plug so it can go directly into the mic.

How to wire an XLR

That page shows how to wire it to an unbalanced radio input; because a radio has an unbalanced input.
That way, you can plug it into a preamp, and then use another standard mic cable for the mic to preamp.
Done.

I am going to use a regular 3 pin xlr cable to a sm58 mic or mebbe a xml 990 mic....it was just the connection from the preamp to the radio that had me stumped.....I was looking at the ph jacks on a picture of a ART preamp when it come to me.......still don't know which wires go where on the ph jack? :)

Thanks for the link. :)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.