• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HOW MUCH IS TO MUCH "POWER" ?

Jerry Grandstaff said:
It does not mater how long your train is but how good of an engineer you are :twisted:

haha at that. I work for the railroad and run on freight trains all the time. The smaller ones are actually harder to handle. The long ones are smooth. Not sure how this fits in this thread - but it's true. lol

Lazybones1222 said:
Jerry Grandstaff said:
It does not mater how long your train is but how good of an engineer you are :twisted:

haha at that. I work for the railroad and run on freight trains all the time. The smaller ones are actually harder to handle. The long ones are smooth. Not sure how this fits in this thread - but it's true. lol
\

Keep on runnin' them trains! :p

Lazybones1222 said:
Jerry Grandstaff said:

Thats cool!!! Running one of the bigest machines there is has got to be neat!!! 8)

for me my PERSONAL maximum is 800 watts or somewhere around there-- I might as well just say 1000 watts-- for me , anything over is just way more than I will ever need--- with 800 I can get out really well between base and mobile when I'm in the bush--- for just talking around the city and area I use just as much as I need-- which is usually either barefoot at 12 watts swinging to 22 watts, 28 watts swinging to 45 ( 1 pill) , or about 170 swinging to 220 or so (2pill) --
Next step up here would be 400 watts then around 800 watts would be my maximum-- anything more is not worth it, more than I need or starting to get to expensive for the amount of gain i would get out of it
With so many guys running 8 or 16 pill amps and more I suppose I am rather conservative with my 800 watts
Its enough for me and I think there will be many answers to this question based on personal opinion
I would like to try a 16 pill--- but 800 watts is plenty for my needs
Too much power is more than you realistically need

C2 said:
I was talking to a friend who just got a ~200W linear, was at his house checkin it out and it was swinging hard right.

When I left, we were talking on the band and he hit the switch and asked how THAT sounded???

I said it bumped up about 2 or 3 S units...But he asked how it sounded??? I said it sounds exactly the same.

He was puzzled about why he was NOT any louder...I said that's the way it is...he said, then why did I buy this thing for?

Probably would have noticed a difference and sounded louder if you were further away from each other and his signal was down in the static and then he turned it on.
When your close there isn't really too much difference unless that amp is really swinging--- I think the average person that hooks up a small amp will normally notice a gain in signal power, but a drop in talk power---

how much power

I know that if i'm running my 16 pill i can be heard.sometimes i switch the 16 pill off to see if they notice and if they don't then i switch off the driver. On ch 6 you need power just to have a stronger signal than the other guy. If power doesn't make that much of a diffrence then why do the big guys pin my needle at 40 db and the guy who is running less get stepped on and can only be heard between keys? That's why i run more power... so i am not talking inbetween someones keys. If you can communicate with no power then that is the way to go.
161 Three Eyed Jack

MAINE680 said:
Most the time I run Barefoot w/ 50watts Peak for local talking, every once in a while there will be someone who wants to test me and start to key over me, so I ask them politely to stop, if that doesn't work then I shift to a differant channel and talk my conversation there. Sometimes they follow so thats when I start to add the power, usually w/ my Homebrew Hillbilly 2-pill, and that usually does the trick, very seldom do I have to turn on the 2kw base to let them know what it is and how its gonna be.

And that, my friends, is just enough. :LOL: No more, no less, just enough to squash evildoers.

16 pill

Yes i run my 16 pill mobile. I used to think i was a big dog till i found out that there are hundreds of guys running 16 pills.

I haven't installed mine yet. I am a little aprehensive about it. Would you mind telling me exactly how you did it? What type of truck is it in? What upgrades to your charging systems were made? Basically the more info, the better as I have never run somuch power before. Thanks in advance, Ken

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.