• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I dont want to research and learn, just tell me how to do it!

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
Ok this has been absolutly irritating me to the core already, i dont know why but it does. It seems like everyone nowadays on forums, Facebook, on air you name it just wants to be told an answer to their question without even attempting to find the answer for themselves through research, reading, online etc. Dig deep, read, research, learn all you can, then if you are not satisfied with the results ask the community. Now i know asking questions is a huge part of the learning process and that is great and essential. But its the simple things that are just getting ridiculous already. How do i wire this mic? Learn to use an vom meter, done. How do you build a dipole? Google it or get a book, done. Is red positive and black negative? C'mon really? So many simple questions can be answered by just doing a little research. Seems everyone nowadays just want to be told everything. Buy books, read, learn, educate yourself about your hobby or passion, dont just ask everyone for the answers, it will benefit you and the next generation of people that are interested. Its sad really.

Ok this has been absolutly irritating me to the core already, i dont know why but it does. It seems like everyone nowadays on forums, Facebook, on air you name it just wants to be told an answer to their question without even attempting to find the answer for themselves through research, reading, online etc. Dig deep, read, research, learn all you can, then if you are not satisfied with the results ask the community. Now i know asking questions is a huge part of the learning process and that is great and essential. But its the simple things that are just getting ridiculous already. How do i wire this mic? Learn to use an vom meter, done. How do you build a dipole? Google it or get a book, done. Is red positive and black negative? C'mon really? So many simple questions can be answered by just doing a little research. Seems everyone nowadays just want to be told everything. Buy books, read, learn, educate yourself about your hobby or passion, dont just ask everyone for the answers, it will benefit you and the next generation of people that are interested. Its sad really.
Yes, I understand what you mean.
I am seventy-four years old. When I visit my (much younger) relatives, I may ask, (example) "who won the Yankee / Red Sox game?". My cousin looks at a small box next to the TV and says, "Alexa, who won the Yankee / Red Sox game?" Give me a break! It's humorous but it's not. If I ask what the weather report is, they don't turn on the TV or radio, they ask Alexa!
A cousin had a flat tire and he called me to ask how to change a flat tire and I told him I would be there to help him. When I arrived, he was not reading the owner's manual, but he was watching a "how to change a flat tire" video on his phone. Wow! I just about blew a gasket.

New people who are just starting out get a pass in my book. Often times they are just looking for interaction with someone, and confirmation that what is going on is valid. When they realize that they don't know what they don't know, we can show them how to find what they need. After that, the training wheels are off.

As another way of looking at it, don't forget how much BAD info is out there. If someone needs to ask a question, I think it's better for them to ask a group of experienced radio guys, than to take the first bit of info they may find on the net. Of course, I am talking about a legitimate need for certain info. When question like "what is the best base antenna" come up, I usually ignore them. BUT, if someone is looking to set up a station and the question is about the type of experience people have had with certain equipment, that's a different story. I'll gladly lend my opinion.

Sadly, this is what it is coming to.

"You can lead a Horse to water - but you can't make them drink."

I mean, just Search Handy Andy in these forums or "WWDX Handy Andy" on Google, you'll see I post a ton of pictures and info, it may not always be the right one - but I do try to provide some guidance.

What I'd like to see is more people willing to post their problem, with a photo of the area or section - once we know what they are up against, the help then comes pretty fast.

I have no problem working with the photo to help provide guidance.

IT's getting them to do it is the problem.

I have said it many times, this is a "fast food" life style we now live in.
No body wants to learn, just want the answer handed to them.

You reminded me...

Wanted to say thanks for the effort you put into the thread about capacitors and knowing which end is truly the outer layer which can help provide solutions to noise enetering into systems when you don't want it to.

I know you didn't say that i the Thread Title - but I do remember how it helps to know where the last outer layer of wind is, and which end it's connected to.

It can help you develop systems that don't generate noise on their own due to improper shielding, where the cap becomes the one to blame when you just needed to know which end is that outer layer for shielding purposes.

It's things like that - that people should look for and look into - so they can provide solutions for their own as well as provide "in their own words" methods developed for it.

And also...

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's early but wanted to just pipe in here as a way to let you know how much work like yours is appreciated.

You reminded me...

Wanted to say thanks for the effort you put into the thread about capacitors and knowing which end is truly the outer layer which can help provide solutions to noise enetering into systems when you don't want it to.

I know you didn't say that i the Thread Title - but I do remember how it helps to know where the last outer layer of wind is, and which end it's connected to.

It can help you develop systems that don't generate noise on their own due to improper shielding, where the cap becomes the one to blame when you just needed to know which end is that outer layer for shielding purposes.

It's things like that - that people should look for and look into - so they can provide solutions for their own as well as provide "in their own words" methods developed for it.

And also...

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's early but wanted to just pipe in here as a way to let you know how much work like yours is appreciated.
Thanks Andy,

During the 30's. 40's, and 50's this was just common knowledge. Engineers thought this through and knew marking the foil end of the capacitor was the correct thing to do. Later in the 60's something changed. Capacitor companies forgot what that little black mark meant. I have check caps made from late 60's in the the 70's that were just random, meaning the black mark could be on any end and not really showing the outside foil.

Fast forward to today it is almost unheard of. And very important when feeding high impedence circuits like amplifiers and mixers.

Anyway have a great Thanksgiving. Wife and I are heading to Georgia next week to spend time with the youngest and see the grand kids.

I have all kinds of patience for someone that WANTS to learn. I have walked away beating my head against the wall sometimes in frustration but if they truly want to learn, I return. If someone just wants to be told how to do something or what the answer is without learning how to get that answer for themselves the next time, and we all know that there WILL be a next time, I just clam up and play dumb. I've gotten quite good at that over the years. LOL I go through this a lot at work. As leadhand in the department it is my responsibility to make sure everyone is up to snuff on new equipment or procedures and for the most part it all goes smooth however there are exceptions especially when it comes to cutting corners. Some guys simply cannot understand why they cannot cut some corners on certain jobs and sometimes you just have to let them do what they were told a dozen times not to do, then when it hits the fan make sure the person responsible is the one called out to answer for it. Sometimes being called into the office or faced with a suspension is needed to open their eyes. FWIW most of the time the problem is with one of the younger guys, you know........the ones that don't need to be told anything because they already knew everything before they even stepped into the department.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.