• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I Hate This New Site!!!

I just closed my session on WWDX, and my task bar had several ads posted...and they were still open.

Moleculo did you just turned the advertising back on per chance?

I also did not see these ads popping up while I was working the Website. I can't be sure this is due to the new site...but I'll keep and eye out. I don't ordinarly see too many pop-ups, but when I do I see them loading.
Try clicking the "X" in the upper right corner of the image pop up.

I just went back and clicked on your image of your radio to enlarge to maximum size. I did not see a "X" in the image, so I clicked on the back tab like I did earlier, but this time it put me back to correct page instead of sending me back to the index.

I guess I'm just seeing things or maybe not.

Never mind.

Thanks anyway.

I find my Blackberry don't like it, either crashes browser or takes ages to load, hit post reply and it quotes, couldn't get quote to work.

Worst of all my Lion Rampant avatar has stopped fluttering, hope that's not a sign of things to come on Sept 18th when my country goes to the polls to rip the UK apart and become the Independent NATION again, that sent them homewards tae think again :)

Looks ok on netbook, hopefully will be better on new Nokia than it is on this Blackberry, The old site loaded in seconds on the Blackberry, this one crashes more often than it loads, browser incompatibility or lack of RAM in BB, I don't know, but it is slow as fuck. I'll probably try Nokia tomorrow see if that makes things any faster.

Like all good things will take time to perfect and get used too.

George.....to quote a post click on REPLY directly at the bottom of that post. It automatically quotes it. The +QUOTE button (note the + sign) is for when multi-quoting things.

Curlyjo, your image worked fine on this end, but when I clicked on it the image was much larger than my screen. When I clicked on my back key...the system through me out of the thread back to the index, not where I thought I would end up. This has happened with other functions...when I just wanted to back up to the previous page.

Also, as I am typing this post the type is moving slower than the key strokes, and the screen jiggles at times. Maybe it is my lack of memeory (or a memory hog)...like somebody else suggested.

This site is far from unique in that. Lots of places do it and it can be confusing at first. Whenever you have an image open just click the "X" in the top right corner of the image window to close it and stay on your page. Clicking BACK closes the image AND takes you back one page.

Curlyjo, your image worked fine on this end, but when I clicked on it the image was much larger than my screen. When I clicked on my back key...the system through me out of the thread back to the index, not where I thought I would end up. This has happened with other functions...when I just wanted to back up to the previous page.

Also, as I am typing this post the type is moving slower than the key strokes, and the screen jiggles at times. Maybe it is my lack of memeory (or a memory hog)...like somebody else suggested.

Thanks! On my end it still shows the file image info. Don't really want to share that info. Just the picture. I will try another pic and see what happens. This is a pic of my LW 150 antenna I took with my phone holding it vertically. The site by default turned it horizontally. Let's try a horizontal pic. The top pic ( the bbq) was the second pic up loaded. So the last pic goes on top. Sometimes may want the pics in the other order.
Photo0332.jpg
Photo0332.jpg

Attachments

• Photo0295.jpg
    Photo0295.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Thanks! On my end it still shows the file image info. Don't really want to share that info. Just the picture. I will try another pic and see what happens. This is a pic I took with my phone holding it vertically. The site by default turned it horizontally. Let's try a horizontal pic.View attachment 14018 View attachment 14017View attachment 14017
I think this is going to work out good wih this phone! Going to make it easy for me to share pics with this android device. I like it ! 73's

Moleculo -
Ramping up the font sizes on the main forum page was a BIG help. Now much easier to read. If you could do the same to the DX CHAT on the right top of the main page, that would help too. Thanks and 73s.

Just made the fonts bigger in the chat screen. BTW, the chat Popup is fixed now, too.

Ummmm . . . . Have a question here . . .

How come the xenForo site - that makes the very same software you have here now - looks like a real forum?
And this forum doesn't?
Choices?

http://xenforo.com/community/

Bet if looked like the standard forum layout, it might be a bit closer to home - so to speak . . .

$.02

Attachments

• xenForo.PNG
    xenForo.PNG
    124.3 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Ummmm . . . . Have a question here . . .

How come the xenForo site - that makes the very same software you have here now - looks like a real forum?
And this forum doesn't?
Choices?

http://xenforo.com/community/

Bet if looked like the standard forum layout, it might be a bit closer to home - so to speak . . .

$.02

And why would should we want a site that looks like every other site? How exactly does that make the site unique, stand out, different, trendy, etc? What is the long term advantage to having a "standard" forum site that looks exactly the same as everyone else?

On the internet, you can either stand apart and get noticed, or blend in and be like anyone else, which gets you nowhere.

Who exactly "defines" what a "real forum" looks like? Why does a forum site have to look the same way they did in the 2002 when they were limited to certain layout options because of code limitations at the time? At what point do you say that what worked in 2002 isn't good enough anymore and you break that old mold to start a new trend? AltaVista was a great search engine - why did Google need to decide to try something different? AOL has all the dial-up market share - who really needed the rest of the internet? Personally, I liked Gopher; why did we need a world wide web? Tube radios were/are cool; who needs transistor stuff? Through hole board design was great for radio; what's the point of surface mount? I could go on and on....

Reactions: BJ radionut
I just closed my session on WWDX, and my task bar had several ads posted...and they were still open.

Moleculo did you just turned the advertising back on per chance?

The ONLY way you get popup ads from this site is if you click on one of the ads. The new site has many security holes plugged and no known exploits. I would check to see if you have any malware on your PC

Because we need to work with it as we do with other forums that do not have this myopic view. QRZ uses vB4; even xenForo set their own sight up in a standard fashion so that it could be easier to navigate. Familiarity.

If one were to change all of the street signs shapes/colors in just the city that you live in and you went into LA; would it be OK? How would others from LA deal with entering your neck of the woods with pink hemispherical stop signs and purple star shaped yield signs? Familiarity.

Just about every forum uses a familiar format so that new and old members alike know where to look and how to get there. I'm sure that you are on a bunch of different forums for various subjects as I am; yet that same format makes them all easy to maneuver. Familiarity.

Not saying that change isn't good. But not all change is good. I remember a few years back that you changed the forum over to the latest version of vB and many members had a conniption. Wasn't nearly as drastic as this change - either. Just don't want you to lose what you have worked so hard for. Nor the members who thrive here due primarily to the familiarity it had. This forum has excelled because of content and familiarity. Change that formula too much; then who can say? Bot count is meaningless if post counts drop off. So follows content.

I digress, Cap'n . . . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Myopic synonyms: unimaginative, uncreative, unadventurous, narrow-minded, small-minded,short-term, shortsighted (thank you, google).

I think all of those terms could be used for doing things the same way they've always been done. It certainly doesn't describe trying something new, fresh, and different.
Shortsighted; in the sense that it has affected member participation in favor of 'new', sir. My concern is for the members. If they don't care; then neither do I. It is they that will all use it; or not. Concerned about the 'not'.

Reactions: Marconi
I know I've been MIA for a while, and not nearly as active on here as of late, but I'll put in my few pennies. It doesn't suck, but it is a lot more difficult for me to see the sections I want, and I can't close the ones I don't. I'm pretty fond of the layouts that give you the pages to scroll thru and the "members online" and other things are at the bottom of the page vs a sidebar. Maybe I'm missing where to do that, or it was explained in the last 8 pages, but that(along with the basic fonts) makes it a tad harder on the eyes to navigate, the learning of where things are will come with time, but yeah..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?