• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I MAX 2000 FINALLY UP. NOT!!!!

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
Everything was going fine until the third and final piece of the antenna put a stop to that.

The second part of the i max threded as easy as it should've.

The third and final (whip) section wouldn't thread into the second section of the antenna.

After a bit of checking which thread was bad, the female receptical or the the male end of the final whip.

Two different whips not associated with the I max that were the same thread size as the 2000's easily threaded into the female receptical of the number two section of the antennan.

The final whip section obviously had a faulty threaded tip and no matter how I tried it wound not catch the first thread of the receptical.
Job haulted!.
I will be getting another "new" third section sent to me but unfourtainarly will not be able to find the time to finish the install until next week.
Since my antennas on a non penetrating roof mount I taped a plastic bag at the top of the first section that was already bolted to the mast's and stood it back up.
The second and bad threaded section are in the garage.
I didn't want to leave the mast's and bottom section laying on the floor where someone could trip over it. So I stood it up.
what a shame!.
Has anyone ever had a problem with any of the threads on a brand new I max 2000?
I began taking pictures of the install until thing's went south.

I'm absolutely pissed! I'm positive these thing's only happen to me. As you can see the mfj 915 rf choke is installed and I didn't want to have to un-bolt the first section of the I max and start all over as all in need is the new whip that's being sent to me in order to complete
the job.2015-08-19 17.32.47.png2015-08-19 17.08.20.png2015-08-19 17.04.55.png2015-08-19 17.08.20.png2015-08-19 17.04.55.png

Last edited:
Reactions: binrat

I'll be honest with ya,.... you are the first person that I have ever heard about having trouble assembling an IMAX antenna.:D

think about using one of the other whips 'till the correct one arrives(y)

Nothing a little tap and die set can't fix. in all likelihood the thread is damaged slightly on the first turn or so. refreshing the threads with the proper die would cure that in about fifteen seconds....if you took your time doing it that is.

I agree with all three suggestions but I bought it brand ne and don't feel I should have to do that. If I decided to tap the thread and fucked it up I might not get a replacement.
The whips that were checked and threaded nicely into the female didn't belong to me and I've waited long enough to get that antenna in the air another week won't kill me.
I'd love to be keying the mic right now but I want to be doing that with the proper antenna I paid for. It's difficult enough for me to get things that are made for each other to work.
Using anything then the three pieces that make up an I max 2000 would no doubt wind up turning into a nightmare and most likely wind up costing me money to repair the items I will inevitably blow up.
I'm learning to be patients which isn't normally a strong point for me. Thanks people. I appreciate all your advice. If the weather's good on Tuesday ill have a proper 2000 up and transceiving.
Nothing a little tap and die set can't fix. in all likelihood the thread is damaged slightly on the first turn or so. refreshing the threads with the proper die would cure that in about fifteen seconds....if you took your time doing it that is.

The thing about the first turn of threads on the male part is that the least little bump or drop of the end against the ground etc can mess up the first turn of threads. It could have happened at the factory or after delivery without even being aware of it. i have dropped a whip and done the same thing myself a time or two. 3/8-24, 1/4-20 and 3/16-24 taps and dies are an antenna builder/owners best friends.

Reactions: DainBramage
The problem I've had is not caused by the thread but caused by the whip flapping about as I'm trying to put the top section in the middle one making it damned hard to put in.

I agree with road squwaker. I've read many posts / articles on the 2000 and have never heard of this being a problem. Am i the first person this has ever happened too? I doubt it, I'm convinced it rare.

If it was going to happen the fact it happened to me was no surprise. There are people who go through life unaffected by bad luck.
I'm not one of them. If a pianos gonna fall from a third story building, There's little doubt if it gonna land on someone's head, it will be mine.
I did concider bringing it over to a nabour who has a little machine shop in his garage but I thought since I purchased it from a "radio shop" that's only about 15 minutes away I'd bring it to him.
I thought that he should see it for himself and imagined that he, the owner might be able to do whatever was needed in order to get that whip threaded into the it's rightful place but he's a seller of cb radio's and nothing more.
Although this establishment has been in business for 40 plus years they recently got rid of the only guy who most likley would've got those two pieces together.
I didn't mention what transpired in my first post because I'm not the type of person to make a big stink and call the place and the owner out by name for being a Scumbag but truth be told.
When he told me it's gonna take a week for him to get another antenna to replace my defective one, I told him "I'll give you the antennan back. Give me my money back and I'll have an I max 2000 at my door on Friday ". His answer was "sorry only store credit ". To which I replyed "that's the way you treat customers"? He just shrugged his shoulders and stood there with a funny looking kind of smile on his face. I said "ok I'll call you in a week" stared my vihicle and drove off.
Now I could've made a scene but what good would that have done. The fact I wasn't gonna be able to get back to the antenna until next week anyway doesn't change the fact that he's a douche bag. If I can get a 2000 online and have it delivered to my home two day priority, why can't he? Because why should he have to go out of his way and possibly into his pocket to please a single customer?
This is what makes him a douch bag. When he said "storepolicy " the first thing that ran through my head was your the fucking owner! You are the policey! Fuck it. I will never ever purchase a single item from him again. I normally purchase 99% of radio related item's online.
In retrospect it wss a huge mistake not ordering the antenna from cheap ham. I just happened to be passing the store a day after deciding I was gonna go with the I max so it was purchesed out of cunviniance. Live and learn. I'll keep you people informed. Thanks.
The thing about the first turn of threads on the male part is that the least little bump or drop of the end against the ground etc can mess up the first turn of threads. It could have happened at the factory or after delivery without even being aware of it. i have dropped a whip and done the same thing myself a time or two. 3/8-24, 1/4-20 and 3/16-24 taps and dies are an antenna builder/owners best friends.

Reactions: DainBramage
Get a new one and take the 2nd section off and lay it flat on the ground. Get another object that will get the whip level with the other section and slowly start threading. If it doesn't go in smooth stop and realign. Doing it while laying it flat and making it level has been the easiest way I've found anyway. Hope you get it resolved.

... He just shrugged his shoulders and stood there with a funny looking kind of smile on his face.. Live and learn. I'll keep you people informed. Thanks.

get the part, take it home and install/test itand make sure it works, then badmouth the fuk outta the store:whistle:

take the top section to any automotive mechanic or machine shop
they should have a tap and die set and get you fixed up in about 5 minutes

Reactions: 222DBFL
Gotta join the chorus of people who have never had any problem assembling an I-2000. Perhaps yours had a manufacturing defect?

FWIW you will probably be replacing that antenna in a couple of years anyhow. IME Imaxs tend to deteriorate rapidly out in the sun or at least they do out here in the SW deserts of Arizona.

Good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.