• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I MAX 2000 FINALLY UP. NOT!!!!

It was absolutely a factory defect.
I brought the middle and top section back to the place of purchase and the store owner couldn't get the top section threaded into the second section of the antenna.

He pulled three different steel and fiberglass whips from other (mobile antennas) with the same exact size and thread pattern, all of which screwed into the second section of the I max 2000 with ease.
Just as the original whip should've.
It surprises me that you say the I max 2000 will fall apart in two years as this isn't something I've read before.
On the contrary, most of all I read says there quite durable.
Maybe an aluminum antenna is a better choice for desert conditions.
Gotta join the chorus of people who have never had any problem assembling an I-2000. Perhaps yours had a manufacturing defect?

FWIW you will probably be replacing that antenna in a couple of years anyhow. IME Imaxs tend to deteriorate rapidly out in the sun or at least they do out here in the SW deserts of Arizona.

Good luck.

take the top section to any automotive mechanic or machine shop
they should have a tap and die set and get you fixed up in about 5 minutes

I just didn't feel i should put myself out.
After all the antenna was purchesed new and that's what I exspected. Honestly the more I read these posts the more pissed I become.
I'm blaming myself for not ordering it from cheap ham.
The thing that's really earking me is I've never heard of this every happening to a 2000 or a99 for that matter. I've decided that if this guy doesn't have my antenna on Tuesday, which is the one week he said it would take.
I'm going to take the store credit as I need a new amp for my cars subwoofer .
I'll buy the amp with the store credit and order the I max from cheap ham. Like I should've done in the first place.
take the top section to any automotive mechanic or machine shop
they should have a tap and die set and get you fixed up in about 5 minutes

Stella you will get the antenna hopefully the one the vendor is ordering will have no defects

I just didn't feel i should put myself out.
After all the antenna was purchesed new and that's what I exspected. Honestly the more I read these posts the more pissed I become.
I'm blaming myself for not ordering it from cheap ham.
The thing that's really earking me is I've never heard of this every happening to a 2000 or a99 for that matter. I've decided that if this guy doesn't have my antenna on Tuesday, which is the one week he said it would take.
I'm going to take the store credit as I need a new amp for my cars subwoofer .
I'll buy the amp with the store credit and order the I max from cheap ham. Like I should've done in the first place.

If it really was a factory defect it may not have mattered where you ordered it from. The same problem could have occurred. Me being me and the type of person I am, that being creative and handy with tools etc, I would have simply run a 3/8-24 die over the threads and had that thing on the air before you got back from the dealer you bought it from.

Reactions: Road Squawker
He's not actually getting me a new antenna.
He's just getting me a new third (whip) section. I assumed these antenna's were produced in three seprate sections at the factory and were not tested as a sigal antenna.
Will it matter which particular whip I max 2000 final section is installed on "my" I max.
I already had the first section atachached to the mast with the choke installed and although it wasn't really a job to remove the u bolts I thought It would just save a little extra time removing them and having to start from the beginning again.

Was this a mistake?
Will the new top section matter that it didn't come in the same box as the bottom and middle section?
Which I still have in my posetion?
Stella you will get the antenna hopefully the one the vendor is ordering will have no defects

Attachments

• 2015-08-19 17.32.47.png
    2015-08-19 17.32.47.png
    214.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20150819_163544.jpg
    20150819_163544.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 8
It surprises me that you say the I max 2000 will fall apart in two years as this isn't something I've read before.
On the contrary, most of all I read says there quite durable.
Maybe an aluminum antenna is a better choice for desert conditions.

That statement was based on personal experience with the IMAX.

I'm out in the middle of the Mohave desert and have had two IMAXs. The first one lasted about a year and was wiped out when a microburst that had 90+ MPH winds hit my area.

The second one is still up but a recent inspection had shown the fiberglass to be dried out and cracking. I have never tried or even heard of the item loosecannon described. Perhaps that will extend the life of the antenna.

What I have a greater problem with is coax. The intense UV rays just wipe out the cable where it is exposed to the sun. Next time I replace it I'm going to enclose the cable in some PVC pipe or something.

Another thing I've experienced with the IMAX is that over time they seem to lose efficiency . That is, they work great when new, but as they age performance drops off.

Overall I like 'em. Inexpensive, easy to put up and not overly large and heavy. But no, I won't buy another one.

Friend of mine collects all the old garden hoses he can find,

He runs his coax inside the garden hoses to protect them from the UV here in Sunny Florida, seems to work great

Captain. I agree with you. If I had brought it over to my nabour's house he would've had the problem corrected in a few minutes and my i max would've been in the air.
And if everything's gonna work like I suspect it too, I'd most like be making contacts instead of watching tv on a lazy Sunday.
On the other hand being the antenna was brand new.
I didn't feel it was my job to make the repair. Believe it or not I'm not a stickler by nature.

I normally let thing's like this slide but It bothered me more than I would've exspected it too.
I'm accually glad I brought it back as I saw the true colours of the shop's owner.
He's always got a smile on his face but wow how that smile turned into a, didn't want be bothered look when I brought back the two sections and he himself couldn't thread the whip into the second section.
After he tried three different whips from what I think were mobile antennas that happened to have the same exact fitting it was obvious to both of us it was the threads of the final section that was faulty.

I exspected him to say he'd have it by Saturday. When he told me a week I realized he wasn't willing to go the extra mile to satisfy a customer, I told him I'd go back home and put everything back in the box and get a refund. His answer was "store credit only" I told him that's not the way to treat customers. His answer was "it's store policy " Fuck store policy! He's the owner. He could've easily have decided to refund my money.
I would've ordered a new one from cheap ham and it would've been ready to insall it on Wednesday.
Now I'm going to call him on Tuesday before he closes which is seven days from the time I returned it and something's telling me the section of antenna will not be there.
I will call him one more time on Wednesday about 2pm. If it's not there at that time I will let him know that I will be there with the box and everything that came with it except the finnal section which he has and I will take the store credit. I will purchase another imax from cheap ham and have it by Saturday. I've a strong felling he thinks I'm gonna wait until whenever.
Im not! He said a week which imo is not and wasn't exceptable.
I'm definitely not gonna play the when he gets it he gets it game. The reason I'm glad I returned it as opposed to having my nabour fix it was I found out what type of phonie he is and wouldn't purches a single item from his shop ever again. Up until a year ago I never made a single online purchase in my lief.
Since then I purchese 90% of everything I purches online. Everything from my clothing to electronics. Mostly through ebay and the two purches that weren't correct were not only replaced but were sent out to me and recived before thoses particular sellers even received the problematic items back.
That's customer service. That the insensitive sellers have when they need that positive feedback.
Sorry for rambling on but as I mentioned in an earlier post. The more I think about how I was treated the more pissed I become.
This may also give me the insensitive to put up my first antenna which was an 11 meter wire built dipole. Which I purchased (off eBay) and used for my firdt month on the air. I had yet to hook up the Madison during that time and was on the fs2340 talking locally only.
I since discovered ssb skip with the madison and always wondered how the dipole would perform compaired to the a99.
I originally had the dipole in an inveted V and if this carector doesn't have my whip by Wednesday I might just install the dipole as even if I get the new i Max from cheap ham next Saturday I've no idea when I'll be able to insall it.
I've always wanted to use the dipole horizontaly to see how it performs for dx'ing.
This may be the perfect situation for doing exactly that. Thanks for reading my vents. Thanks again.
If it really was a factory defect it may not have mattered where you ordered it from. The same problem could have occurred. Me being me and the type of person I am, that being creative and handy with tools etc, I would have simply run a 3/8-24 die over the threads and had that thing on the air before you got back from the dealer you bought it from.

[E="Atlasta, post: 529227, member: 19597"]That statement was based on personal experience with the IMAX.

I'm out in the middle of the Mohave desert and have had two IMAXs. The first one lasted about a year and was wiped out when a microburst that had 90+ MPH winds hit my area.

The second one is still up but a recent inspection had shown the fiberglass to be dried out and cracking. I have never tried or even heard of the item loosecannon described. Perhaps that will extend the life of the antenna.

What I have a greater problem with is coax. The intense UV rays just wipe out the cable where it is exposed to the sun. Next time I replace it I'm going to enclose the cable in some PVC pipe or something.

Another thing I've experienced with the IMAX is that over time they seem to lose efficiency . That is, they work great when new, but as they age performance drops off.

Overall I like 'em. Inexpensive, easy to put up and not overly large and heavy. But no, I won't buy another one.[/QUOTE]
I wse

Sorry to hear about your latest problem Stella ( you sure have more than your fair share). hope you get it fixed.
I have had problems with imax and other solarcon antennas in the Aussie Sun. 6 months out in the summer sun and the fiberglass breaks down to an extent were you cant handle it without getting glass splinters.2 years or less and it's stuffed. I always paint or wrap with tape before installation now.

I did put the antenna together on the ground I had each section being supported.by two cylinder blocks.
I took my time and tried several times to thread it. It was defective 100% no doubt.
This is a photo of it and where the sections were being put together.
It was on the ground. Nice soft cushy grass/soil. It was a factory defect.
Get a new one and take the 2nd section off and lay it flat on the ground. Get another object that will get the whip level with the other section and slowly start threading. If it doesn't go in smooth stop and realign. Doing it while laying it flat and making it level has been the easiest way I've found anyway. Hope you get it resolved.

Attachments

• 2015-08-19 17.32.47.png
    2015-08-19 17.32.47.png
    214.3 KB · Views: 6
Just making sure as I know that the sections and top whip is flimsy and can be a PITA to get together if not supported at least at the joints or more. Glad you finally got it taken care of. Hopefully the store will have it for you when they said I would be here. Then you can finally get the IMAX 2000 up.

It's funny that everyone is speaking of the fiberglass. I just went through this with an not very used A99 that was given to me. It was splintering already. I took HD heat shrink from bottom to top, obviously the heat shrink was of different sizes. Man talk about a difference!! And yes the heat shrink has uv protection properties. Had left over rolls of some and decided to use some of it. It's all black from bottom to top and it is a pleasure to grab and work on now. I'll take some pics next time I have it down, but heat shrink covers all fiberglass areas, leaving only joint open, which I used a light coat of No-Ox on. It actually came out great and looks very nice. Harder to see from a far as well. Anyway. Just my 2 pennies about the fiberglass.

Reactions: space cowboy
The new I max whip was at the shop when I called.
I went over to pick it up and although the owner told me he threaded it into the second section of a new I max he'd gotten in along with the whip and it threaded in fine.
I brought my second section along with me as his word is worthless.
Everything went fine.
I'll put the two sections together tomorrow morning and run the LMR 400 into my shack and hook it up.
My fingers are crossed.
I'm very happy with the way everything tested into the dummy load.
I'm looking forward to using the sonar fs2340 / Palomar 300a more often as the newly added Dawia antenna / transceiver switch will make it feasible to switch from the madison / phantom which I now will be using exclusively for ssb.
It was a hassle to switch the jumper from the madison to the sonar for what might be a few minutes of AM dx'ing.
Then I'd have to switch the jumper back so I just began using the madison for AM as well as ssb and the sonar was beginning to gather dust.
Now the sonar will get the air time it deserves. Since I've been on the air last I changed the LMR 240 jumpers for the 400 ultra flex, added the Dawia switch swapped the MFj 826b for the 828 purchased a new rolling five shelf station storage system that unlike the old one this one's powder coated.
The old one was metal.
I'm not sure if the powder coating is safer but I guess it can't hurt. I also straightened out the jumper and power cords that looked as if a black widow was making a home. Cobwebed to the max. Everything's nice and neat now. Well! The big days tomorrow if everything's going to go as I suspect, I'll be asking questions on how to get whatever won't be correct, fixed. The pessimist I am. Thanks2015-08-26 18.37.59.png

Last edited:
Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.