• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this daily skip going to be the end of CB?

As I have gotten back into CB radio again a few years ago I am finding many of the cb'ers getting frustrated that their cb is useless from sun up to past sundown every single day with out a break. We have a large amount of cb'ers here in upstate NY and we can only communicate in the evening. In this age of communication the CB is not only dated but useless as a hobby and maybe the end of cb's being manufactured any more.

It'll quiet down this summer, and then be back again next winter. That may be the last winter for this cycle, but there may be another in store.

sunspot.gif

As I have gotten back into CB radio again a few years ago I am finding many of the cb'ers getting frustrated that their cb is useless from sun up to past sundown every single day with out a break. We have a large amount of cb'ers here in upstate NY and we can only communicate in the evening. In this age of communication the CB is not only dated but useless as a hobby and maybe the end of cb's being manufactured any more.

Frustration? How about misunderstanding?

CB outdated as a hobby?
That's your opinion and you are welcome to it.
But do you really think that CB is supposed to be a means of relating important information?!?

Find a clear channel. Otherwise, having skip condition is a boon. If you had a year with NO skip, it would become a bit mundane.

Those that have a beam antenna and not running any amplifier may find that these conditions are quite lively and challenging. I do; and i know others that do the same. Power is NOT the answer, it isn't even the question.

There is an unhealthy need for running all the power one can at any expense to their neighbors and ultimately detrimental to the freq they use.

The power battles on AM is the low point of CB radio. Nobody listens and few can be understood from all of the AM generated noise.

I don't hang around on ch38/LSB because of all of the knuckleheads and chuckleheads. Instead, ch39 and ch40 is often open and quite usable. Same is true for ch36 & ch37.

As far as making CB a VHF band, that was already considered way back in the day when they made the allocations in the first place.

:blink:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
skip is what makes it worth the trouble for me. I love the skip aspect of it all. Every Sunday I talk to 590 out of phoenix at noon on 485 for a 10-15 minute qso. So far conditions have been excellent for our communications for the past several months. That will change at some point but while its there I'm taking advantage of it. to me that's the "hobby" aspect of it. Take that away what's left? It wouldn't be worth turning the radio on in my opinion. now with that said. there is a quiet time to talk local you just have to work around Mother Nature a bit. Late at night or early in the morning. some older gentleman here in Knoxville talk at 5 in the morning until sunrise then they sign off until the next morning. That's their "local" time to talk. I like it that way. I personally believe the hobby would die quicker without dx rather than with it.

Reactions: 1 person
no it isn't the end but you need a bigger antenna, higher antenna better coax and a big,big,big, box to talk down the street. LOL
I use 4 watts most of the time with about 100 % modulation antenna with good coax at a modest 31 ft to the base of the antenna and have no problems most of the time but I can turn it up a little with the dual mosfets and a little swing. Don't seem to have to much trouble in the evening when I talk 7:00pm est to the locals 20-25 miles. But it can get noisy.

Reactions: 1 person
Try a cell phone

Exactly, what's the excitement of radio when you to talk to the same guys day after day. Not trying to come off a rude but if skip is getting in your way then use the phone. I'm bias because the local idiots drive me nuts with who's amp is bigger and how do I sound with this mic. :mad: Enough

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.