• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this daily skip going to be the end of CB?

It goes away, but not for "decades at a time". The sunspot cycle is roughly 11 years from one peak to the next. Assuming the current one peaked in 2013, look for the next one to build up to a peak around 2024.

I was fortunate to have been an SWL in 1957/58 when the biggest, best radio peak ever recorded took place. Got my Novice license in December of 1959 and by the middle of 1960, using about 50 watts output and an old Hallicrafters SX-99 receiver, I had worked 171 countries from Las Vegas NV.

Since then ... DX is where it is, when it is.

Reactions: 2 people
The more sunspots there are, the easier DXing becomes? So after this solar cycle peaks, talking skip will only get harder from there.

I hope the next solar cycle peaks like it did in 2000. Wow that must have been a golden year for DX.

What other radio bands are cyclical like 11 meters? I know 6 meters only really gets active in the summer. How do radio enthusiasts get their fix when the 11m band closes, move to HF?

How do radio enthusiasts get their fix when the 11m band closes
They become ham's. The cycle may die down for 11 meters but still be active on 20 or 40 or 80 meters. There is PSK31 which will work world wide even in the weakest conditions. Now all the bands might not be open to timbuckto but most of the US and other parts will be easily reached. See with CB your stuck with 27mhz, with amateur radio you have a lot more room to play.

The idea of the skip "dying out" is a terrifying thought for me. I have spent all this money on the hobby so I can talk some skip, and you're telling me it's just going to go away for decades at a time? are you kidding me?
Man that sucks, hahahaha.
As has been said it won't be decades but it will be for years at a time.

I guess this is even more of a reason for me to get my General class license. CB is just a stepping stone in the giant, vibrant stream that is the amateur radio hobby.

I couldn't have said it any better... oh wait I did. :)

Last edited:
The more sunspots there are, the easier DXing becomes? So after this solar cycle peaks, talking skip will only get harder from there.

I hope the next solar cycle peaks like it did in 2000. Wow that must have been a golden year for DX.

What other radio bands are cyclical like 11 meters? I know 6 meters only really gets active in the summer. How do radio enthusiasts get their fix when the 11m band closes, move to HF?

Activity dies out on the higher bands first and moves down in frequency. DX can be smoking on 20m (14 MHz) when 11m is DEAD. 6m can actually open up any time of the year but when it does open it is usually a propagation mode called sporadic E or Es for short. This is more prevalent beginning in late May and lasting until early September with another shorter opening in December.

Sporadic E

Reactions: 2 people
Activity dies out on the higher bands first and moves down in frequency. DX can be smoking on 20m (14 MHz) when 11m is DEAD. 6m can actually open up any time of the year but when it does open it is usually a propagation mode called sporadic E or Es for short. This is more prevalent beginning in late May and lasting until early September with another shorter opening in December.

Sporadic E
Exactly!!

As much as I prefer DX over local chatter, when the cycle declines I will continue to play with antennas. I may knuckle down and do what I dislike, study for a test instead of for fun. Love to learn, hate to take test.
And, as much as I like skip, when the conditions favor local work over DX maybe some of those folks who quit talking in favor of playing pick-up stix will return to the air and some more realistic performance testing can occur. With DX hammering away I rarely hear the longer distance locals out there in excess of 25 miles. Just too noisy..

Besides, all the annoying weirdos making noise and repeating mantras from the holy Book of Moronicalism all seem to live on the West Coast, or East Coast, or everywhere DX is coming from.
BTW, I do have my underwear on.
:)

Reactions: 1 person
And when the sunspot cycle dies out what then for 11 meters?

I'll be forced up on a lower band. Quite a few like minded Hifi AM guys here in SoCal. Fine buisness bob..N3RD in the group....20 kilo wide in the signal and 42 wide on the dumper..Back to you.
But half the time the band never fully dies. You get the unusual short skip at the bottom if you got the antenna.

We can take what Mother Nature gives us and enjoy it while we can. appreciate the dx while its here and appreciate the quiet when it's not. Adapt to the situation. It's still a good hobby with or without dx. I personally like the dx but it opens up a new door for local talk when it's gone. when was the last time we were able to actually use the squelch on a cb radio while talking to another station? That in itself changes the whole outlook on two way communication.

We can take what Mother Nature gives us and enjoy it while we can. appreciate the dx while its here and appreciate the quiet when it's not. Adapt to the situation. It's still a good hobby with or without dx. I personally like the dx but it opens up a new door for local talk when it's gone. when was the last time we were able to actually use the squelch on a cb radio while talking to another station? That in itself changes the whole outlook on two way communication.

Exactly! Variety is the spice of life.

I'll be forced up on a lower band. Quite a few like minded Hifi AM guys here in SoCal. Fine buisness bob..N3RD in the group....20 kilo wide in the signal and 42 wide on the dumper..Back to you.
But half the time the band never fully dies. You get the unusual short skip at the bottom if you got the antenna.

I'd venture a guess that roughly half of all CBers are HAMs.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.