• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this daily skip going to be the end of CB?

This is why CB should have been in the VHF band.

In the 1950s and into the 60s, when CB was coming to life, the FCC seriously considered "VHF", but equipment operating above about 30 MHz was expensive. CB was supposed to be used by small businesses that couldn't afford the cost of such stuff. 27 MHz is only 3 MHz away from the low end of "VHF", so it's close....

If CB hadn't come along until the 60s, there would have been plenty of equipment available with the new technology that the space age was developing every day. HOWever, comma, it didn't happen that way.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah and I just got down is real cool for the first hundred thousand times? I like this hobby don't get me wrong but the rules do say no talking skip and turning one on during the day shows us what will happen to this two way communication device if the rules are abused. The rules for us here in the USA are kind of ridiculous when other countries can have this and that and we are splattered across the band take channel 9 for instance. Because of all this abuse channel 19 is so bad you have to squelch it up so high you can barely get across the median. I believe most people who buy a CB want it as a mobile and some times graduate to a base station but when they find out it's not good for much unless you drive the night shift certainly you are not graduating to a base station. If an item such as a CB has no use then it has no value and there maybe an end to them being manufactured anymore and I would hate to see that happen.

Last edited:
As I have gotten back into CB radio again a few years ago I am finding many of the cb'ers getting frustrated that their cb is useless from sun up to past sundown every single day with out a break. We have a large amount of cb'ers here in upstate NY and we can only communicate in the evening. In this age of communication the CB is not only dated but useless as a hobby and maybe the end of cb's being manufactured any more.

You're very lucky that you still have a large amount of locals to communicate with, because in some areas without the skip rolling in the band can be pretty quiet.

but the rules do say no talking skip

Where do they?

Right in FCC regulation Part 95 section 413 paragraph 9 also known as Rule 13.

§ 95.413 (CB Rule 13) What commu-
nications are prohibited?
(a) You must not use a CB station—
(1) In connection with any activity
which is against federal, state or local
law;
(2) To transmit obscence, indecent or
profane words, language or meaning;
(3) To interfere intentionally with
the communications of another CB sta-
tion;
(4) To transmit one-way communica-
tions, except for emergency commu-
nications, traveler assistance, brief
tests (radio checks), or voice paging;
(5) To advertise or solicit the sale of
any goods or services;
(6) To transmit music, whistling,
sound effects or any material to amuse
or entertain;
(7) To transmit any sound effect sole-
ly to attract attention;
(8) To transmit the word ‘‘MAYDAY’’
or any other international distress sig-
nal, except when your station is lo-
cated in a ship, aircraft or other vehi-
cle which is threatened by grave and
imminent danger and your are request-
ing immediate assistance;
(9) To communicate with, or attempt
to communicate with, any CB station
more than 250 kilometers (155.3 miles)
away;

Garth,

I know Canadian CB is pretty much mirrored after the USA's, is there a similar rule up there?

The Cycle will drop off and then the DX will die off, that is the 11 years solar cycle, nothing can been done about that....mother rules the roost.
It was not a wise choice to put the CB service where it is guaranteed to be subject to propagation.
And as for other countries there is also no way to stop propagation from them either, I am sure that they suffer with the same problems from US stations that we do.
There are probably lots of guys that get fed up with US operators on channel 6, 11, 19, 26, 28 and so on.
This is why many op`s first start using SSB rather than AM mode to help get away.
Next thing that happens is radios get "expanded" for alpha channels, then freeband.
One solution is to study a bit and get your Ham license.
It is easy to pass the Tech License requirements and this will get you on a slice of ten meters, most guys already are running 10 meter radios, or radios that will work in the 10 meter band, and CB antennas work well on ten meters with just some small adjustments.
There is so much room on ten meters it is incredible and can get you away from the congestion found on 11.
Plus the license opens up all other kinds of bands.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
How would you know if the person you here is over 156 miles without talking to them. I can not stop my signal from going over 155 miles, their is know way to know without taking a chance of breaking the law...
The law is outdated, the FCC is outdated...

Reactions: 3 people
How would you know if the person you here is over 156 miles without talking to them. I can not stop my signal from going over 155 miles, their is know way to know without taking a chance of breaking the law...
The law is outdated, the FCC is outdated...
According to the FCC you should cease communications once you determine the other contact beyond the boundary..... As has been said CB should have been VHF.... there is always MURS

Reactions: 1 person
Every single day I get bombarded with shameless radio shop spam from "The Mobile Radio Shop guy at exit 140A as in apple". He spams the airwaves approximately every ten seconds on ch 19, and I'm located in Illinois!

Garth,

I know Canadian CB is pretty much mirrored after the USA's, is there a similar rule up there?

Pretty much the same rules here as well. Pretty much the same enforcement level too.

According to the FCC you should cease communications once you determine the other contact beyond the boundary..... As has been said CB should have been VHF.... there is always MURS

Exactly. No harm no foul with making a DX contact and upon realizing it terminating it. That's the law.<gotproof> The outdated, inane, senseless, law.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.