• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this daily skip going to be the end of CB?

Not to start a flame war but why does everyone consider the rules outdated?

The original intention of the rules are still as valid today as they were when created. I will admit they were a bit short sighted when the FCC crafted the CB service. The lack of enforcement let it get out of control and self policing can only go so far.

The whole idea of CB was/is to talk to your friends, wife, mistress or whoever that are close by. If you want to talk to people in other parts of the world get a ham license. Don't want to get a ham ticket then don't bitch about crap on 11 meters because its current condition was created by those who didn't want to play by the rules and now want them changed to fit them.

I did the CB Schick, I worked DX(unit 997 Chicago), I ran power (never more than 100 watts), my antenna was higher than 60 feet (PDL2 at 75') and I ran a ham rig on 11 meters (Icom 720a). I have been there done that but I always felt a bit uncomfortable about it and I was more interested in working DX than talking local so I got my ham ticket. I will never go back to CB other than having one in the car when travelling. I am not against 11 meters as some here think I just have issues with when people think the rules should be changed to suit them.

Sorry to hijack the thread... flame suit on and helmet locked...*Don`t do it*

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I don't think it would start a flame war to discuss this openly.

It is easy to see that the laws are clearly behind the technology and societal changes. No one uses CB for business; they either get a private freq or they use a cellphone, usually the latter. Ragchews have always been a part of CB radio and also does no one any harm.

Those laws were written and there has been no change whatsoever. Talking skip hurts no one. Digital communication and FM can also be added without any harm whatsoever.

The freq range can be expanded. The only harm being done in the CB band is the use of amps/radios that give off spurious emissions. Which can be corrected by enforcing the implementation of pass band filters for those who use more than 20 watts.

The biggest harm is from the FCC who have these outdated rules that cannot be kept, selectively enforced, and even they cannot properly interpret the laws when prosecuting. Yet we are still subject to them even though they have one of the poorest mandates of the entire federal gov't.
And more.

Last edited:
I don't think it would start a flame war to discuss this openly.

It is easy to see that the laws are clearly behind the technology and society changes. No one uses CB for business; they either get a private freq or they use a cellphone, usually the latter. Ragchews have always been a part of CB radio and also does no one any harm.

They must have been drinking and laughing when they came up with that load.

Those laws were written and there has been no change whatsoever. Talking skip hurts no one. Digital communication and FM can also be added without any harm whatsoever.

The freq range can be expanded. The only harm being done in the CB band is the use of amps that give off spurious emissions. Which can be corrected by enforcing the implementation of pass band filters for those who use more than 20 watts.

The biggest harm is from the FCC who have these outdated rules that cannot be kept, selectively enforced, and even they cannot properly interpret the laws when prosecuting. Yet we are still subject to them even though they have the poorest mandate of the entire federal gov't.
And more.

Tep; that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it . . .
Robb I agree that an open discussion is a good thing.

Rag-chewing is perfectly acceptable.

Why should DX be allowed? Because its there? Most highways can support going 100mph but yet the law does not allow it. Again want DX there are legal ways to do that.

I agree with digital and FM, honestly it probably should have been FM to begin with but with power limits.

There are other parts of the world where above and below CB channels are of legal use and expanding the freg range could cause interference.

Extra power is not needed as CB is short range.

I agree the FCC lost contol of it.

Reactions: 1 person
Why should DX be allowed? Because its there? Most highways can support going 100mph but yet the law does not allow it. Again want DX there are legal ways to do that.
You have control over how fast your car travels, you have no control over how far your signal travels.

In fact, it's easier to talk DX than local when the band is rolling.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe it's the complete opposite. Skip is keeping 11m alive and the best thing the government can do is what it always does.... nothing.
CB skip is what makes it interesting. The characters and personality that are not found on the Ham bands.
I guess the government should pass a law requiring more rain fall here in SoCal. It makes as much sense as banning skip.

And when the sunspot cycle dies out what then for 11 meters?
Pretty much the same as 10m, pockets of local rag chewing ..... the same thing that happens every 11 years.

I think CB is a forgotten wasteland to the FCC personally, but they won't abolish it because the ARRL sees CB as recruiting grounds. More people are likely to take the test after using CB than people who have never ran a radio station at all. Where else can you talk worldwide on 12w with no license and a $100 radio?

Pretty much the same as 10m, pockets of local rag chewing ..... the same thing that happens every 11 years.

I think CB is a forgotten wasteland to the FCC personally, but they won't abolish it because the ARRL sees CB as recruiting grounds. More people are likely to take the test after using CB than people who have never ran a radio station at all. Where else can you talk worldwide on 12w with no license and a $100 radio?
Actually 10 meters becomes a ghost town. Only time 10 is active is when it's open.

I agree with the wasteland statement, the FCC gave up on it years ago when it dropped the licensing requirement. I also agree that CB is a recruiting ground for potential hams.

Now going on what others have posted here the only reason they are on 11 meters at all is for the DX so when that dries up now what for them?

Now going on what others have posted here the only reason they are on 11 meters at all is for the DX so when that dries up now what for them?
I don't have a clue honestly, I've not been in radio long enough for a complete cycle. I have heard some locals coming out of the bushes lately and I have a feeling that some of these guys disappear during solar maximum and reappear during solar minimum because I haven't heard hide nor hair of them in a few years.

I don't have a clue honestly, I've not been in radio long enough for a complete cycle. I have heard some locals coming out of the bushes lately and I have a feeling that some of these guys disappear during solar maximum and reappear during solar minimum because I haven't heard hide nor hair of them in a few years.

359 you said it. They put the rigs away and when the next solar cycle comes around out comes the equipment and let the DX begin.

Reactions: 1 person
The idea of the skip "dying out" is a terrifying thought for me. I have spent all this money on the hobby so I can talk some skip, and you're telling me it's just going to go away for decades at a time? are you kidding me?
Man that sucks, hahahaha.

But It kind of makes sense... About 8 or 9 years ago when I was a young teen, I had a handheld CB that I listened to and talked on often. There were all these regular locals that were talking all of the time, almost anytime you turned on the radio you could hear them. When I used to listen to the cb, I never heard "skip". I would have been amazed by hearing stations so far away.
Now ever since I got back into the hobby last year, i've been hearing this new phenomenon called "skip".

I guess this is even more of a reason for me to get my General class license. CB is just a stepping stone in the giant, vibrant stream that is the amateur radio hobby.

Last edited:
I have spent all this money on the hobby so I can talk some skip, and you're telling me it's just going to go away for decades at a time? are you kidding me?

It's not quiet for decades at a time, look at the graph I posted on the first page.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.