• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenrich Eagle 500-Next Patient

my advice is to not turn this amplifier on or even plug it in until you refurb it with that kit.

after that, a dim bulb tester is a good idea when turning on tube equipment of dubious history or work.

be sure to note the polarity of all the electrolytic caps as they are before you replace them as you really don't want to get that wrong, and it may or may not be noted on the PC board.

be sure to pull all the tubes out before plugging it in for the first time, and if it has been plugged in recently, then you need to read about safety and tube equipment.
(i guess do that anyway lol)

take a look at that coil sitting horizontally right between those two variable capacitors.
notice how it looks like it's taken a beating?
someone has been trying to "peak" the output of that amp or tune it for a different frequency range and you should make sure no unintentional shorts exist between turns or to the chassis of the amp etc.

there is a ton of great literature out there about how to safely work on tube equipment and it is unwise to attempt it without knowing about all the ways it can kill you.

LC

I have a Eagle 500, had it a year or so and still haven't hooked it up. I'd like someone to go through it before I run it , it was operational when I bought it. The man I bought it from was selling it on consignment, he just made sure it worked, but I'm sure it needs something upgraded before I try and use it on a regular basis. I'd send it to you LC but I'd hate to see the shipping charges on that tank.

I may have to see what Enterprise can do for it, he seems to be pretty familiar with them. We need to meet each other anyway. We're practically neighbors, but life's been in the way. Same reason I haven't been on the forum much lately
I would be glad to look at it, I have been changing a lot of high voltage caps latley. I need to go through the rectifier circuit on my own eagle one of these days, I miss hearing that jet engine sound when you flip the switch. The 10 tube phantom has been doing a good job on the desk in the mean time.

I would be glad to look at it, I have been changing a lot of high voltage caps latley. I need to go through the rectifier circuit on my own eagle one of these days, I miss hearing that jet engine sound when you flip the switch. The 10 tube phantom has been doing a good job on the desk in the mean time.
I'll have to bring it to you sometime, I haven't forgotten about ya, just have a few two many irons in the fire at the moment, between work, having work done to the house and my 06 f250 giving me some problems, time and money I seem to be short of. Plus you'll have to give me a lesson on how to use a tube Amp correctly.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
I have a Eagle 500, had it a year or so and still haven't hooked it up. I'd like someone to go through it before I run it , it was operational when I bought it. The man I bought it from was selling it on consignment, he just made sure it worked, but I'm sure it needs something upgraded before I try and use it on a regular basis. I'd send it to you LC but I'd hate to see the shipping charges on that tank.

Im with ya!
i believe that thing would be over 100 bucks to ship one way.

i still have a rare kenrich here that ive had for many years now collecting dust.
It needs repair/restoration and i just can't ever seem to decide what tubes to use in it.
nomad has done very cool things with this chassis, but im afraid i don't have the goldmine of parts required to make this type of mod feasible.
LC

If the shipping charges worry you it's a good indicator that the box is not worth fixing.

Sometimes you just do something for nostalgia reasons or because someone tells you that it can’t be done.
I have a 20’ x 25’ area half full of “Nostalgia” and half full of “It can’t be done” working projects.
Was it sensible? Maybe not. Is it fun? HELL YEAH!

David

If the shipping charges worry you it's a good indicator that the box is not worth fixing.
I can pay shipping if I want to, money won't stop me if I set my heart on it. I'm the guy that paid almost two hundred bucks for a Madison speaker. The box works but from my understanding some upgrades help them from self destruction. And I like the old school equipment, I also like the newer equipment but the old school stuff makes my heart beat a little faster.

All,
Below is the next project for me. It belongs to the same friend as the Palomar Skipper300 and the Kris 600 SSB. Same repair deal as the other 2-He pays for parts and I have some busy work and a learning opportunity.
Story with this one is it is keyed up as soon as the power switch is turned on. Kind of hard to use as intended this way. It has fairly clean sheet metal on it and 7 original Kenrich branded 20LF6 tubes.

View attachment 27692

Stay tuned.

73's
David
I possibly built the board in that all I saw after work driving home were the bottoms of the board and tube socket pins that I had soldered . I must have soldered thousands of those boards .

I worked for Kenrich Electronics for many years, my job was final testing and repair of the entire line of Eagle transmitters.
I have all the original schematics and modification data as well as a case of original Kenrich (logo) 20LF6 tubes, our tubes were made with a taller & stouter envelope.
I have to wonder if we had worked together there. It would have been probably in 1977 or 78.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.