• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kobitone microphone element(Part #25LM022) comparison!

just want to remind those reading this that might have a "bad" D104 element, or think their element is bad because the mic sounds like crap, that there is fix that can work quite well for this.

this will not work if the rochelle salts in the element have been damaged.

many times people will junk a D104 element because they think the salts are damaged when in fact its just the wax on the diaphragm coming loose.

looking at the face of a D104 crystal element, one would see that it comes to a point in the middle.
this point is one end of a stirrup that connects to the rochelle salts inside.
when these rochelle salts vibrate, they cause a small electrical current to flow, which is how the mic produces sound.

the problem is that the end of the stirrup that connects to the diaphragm is held in place by some black wax, and with time, vibration, and temperature variances; this wax wiggles loose from the stirrup and therefore the stirrup does not vibrate much if at all when the diaphragm is moving.

this will cause a flat tinny sound to no sound at all.

the fix is simple.
re-heat the wax to re-establish the connection between the stirrup and the diaphragm.

i just use a cigarette lighter. a few passes across it should do the trick.

folks should really try this before junking any of these precious elements.

wait!
what am i doing?! i shouldnt be telling anyone this. i should be out buying up "junk" MC320 elements!!! LOL
LC

Shadetree,

i bought some of them way back when before this thread started, and my attitude towards them was meh.
they work, but don't expect them to sound like a real D104 element.

i'll be cleaning out the garage soon, and i think i have some boxes in there that might contain one or two of these.

if i find them i'll get in touch with you and send them to you.
might be a little while though. things seem to keep getting in the way LOL.

I know this thread shows to have started in 05, and my start date shows to be 06, but the forum had a problem back then, and all of my first posts were lost. i think i joined in 04 but cant remember.
LC

Shadetree,

i bought some of them way back when before this thread started, and my attitude towards them was meh.
they work, but don't expect them to sound like a real D104 element.

i'll be cleaning out the garage soon, and i think i have some boxes in there that might contain one or two of these.

if i find them i'll get in touch with you and send them to you.
might be a little while though. things seem to keep getting in the way LOL.

I know this thread shows to have started in 05, and my start date shows to be 06, but the forum had a problem back then, and all of my first posts were lost. i think i joined in 04 but cant remember.
LC
Thanks LC!

Just an fyi. There's a reputable Ebay seller who's selling out his stock of Korbitone elements if one is wanted. I recently purchased one and popped it into my Silver Eagle and love it. He's also considering selling a kit with the Korbitone w/FET mod attached. I trialed this for him and it has one heck of a great sound to it. Slightly different than the MC320 of course but a real hot sound. I never thought I'd say it but I think I like it better...or at least as much as the MC320. Very close to that original D104 sound with just a little bit less tinny. Worth a try if your original crystal croaked.

I seem to favor the diaphragm size itself for making the D104 what it both is and was. I have spent time rebuilding both, and I tend to favor the full size ceramic flavor for potential longevity. You just have to adjust a bit as far as how far away you talk to the mic.

Reactions: Dark Star
I seem to favor the diaphragm size itself for making the D104 what it both is and was. I have spent time rebuilding both, and I tend to favor the full size ceramic flavor for potential longevity. You just have to adjust a bit as far as how far away you talk to the mic.
Of course the original MC320 element in good condition (minus being stored in an otherwise less than perfect humidity/temperature condition) is untouchable in my opinion, the Korbitone element is the absolute best replacement for authentic audio properties, and taken into account it's almost certain hermetic sealing, this is the only close replacement that will maintain close acoustic similarities to an original Rochelle salt crystal element. Just saying...

So does the MC-321… Just cannot talk as far away and expect the same results. It all in the end has to do to the best of my knowledge with the sheer size of the diaphragm.

So does the MC-321… Just cannot talk as far away and expect the same results. It all in the end has to do to the best of my knowledge with the sheer size of the diaphragm.
Maybe, or maybe just the care taken 30+ years ago with manufacturing a pristine quality crystal head microphone. Astatic just made good shit back in the day, plain and simple. It wasn't the size of the head, it was the quality control and the hand picking of organically found Rochelle salt crystal used in the manufacture of the head themselves.

Not in my experience. I transplant japanese crystal packets into dead mc-320’s and no one so far has been able to tell the difference between even a NOS 320 with full response from one of the rebuilds. Not here to argue. Just spent the last three years going down the Astatic rabbit hole that does not exist, as they left behind no records. Or, they were thrown away by the truck stop brand that bought them.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Not in my experience. I transplant japanese crystal packets into dead mc-320’s and no one so far has been able to tell the difference between even a NOS 320 with full response from one of the rebuilds. Not here to argue. Just spent the last three years going down the Astatic rabbit hole that does not exist, as they left behind no records. Or, they were thrown away by the truck stop brand that bought them.
Hmmm I have a good assortment of hermetically sealed Korbitone elements which I have experimented with. All pretty good but I have to say that their is a noticeable difference in total tonal properties when comparing a nice sounding MC320 against most of my Korbitone heads. Sorry dude, just don't buy that these Korbitones sound as good as a vintage MC320. You can fill me full of tech goo goo and it still won't convince me of what my ears hear lol. No disrespect intended...

Reactions: groundwire
What is a Japanese crystal packet?

What is a Japanese crystal packet?
The insides of an LM101 crystal mic that can still be found some places new. Take the packet out and transplant it into an MC-320.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?