• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Labor Day Week-end - LSB 16 revival effort

I am fortunate to have a meteorologist friend who is very active in getting relevant information out to family and friends.

I won't be taking any chances. Dorian is expected to give us strong, upper end tropical storm strength winds. That means my A99 will be coming down in a few hours. Winds are already blowing a pretty steady 15 knots with occasional stronger gusts. It doesn't take much to figure out from that assessment that marine mobiling will not be an option either. Fortunately, I've got a tripod and can set up a 102", my A99 or IMAX 2000 on it in just a few minutes out back. So while I'll be operating without maximum efficiency out of my 12 booming watts, I'll still be giving it a shot. I suppose I could stick my magnetic mount on my car, park next to the water and try that. I'll find a way.

I hope to catch some of you all this week-end.

Last edited:
Hope you guys back on the east coast weather the storm out with no damage.
Will listening in as some of my noise seems to have dropped down from S3 / S4 to S1 allowing me to hear distant stations. I believe that I was receiving some sort of atmospheric noise. Anyway will be listening.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

I'm in North Miami and hear nothing, Skip is Booming in on Ch6, 15, 38. I tried at noon will listen again at 6pm.

Is there much CB traffic going on in Miami nowadays? I remember in years past when every channel was crowded. Now it seems like they are all dead. I'm about 100 miles as the crow flies south west of you. There used to be some crane operators on AM32 in Miami that I could pick up fairly often, but not too much other South Florida contact.

There's also a guy south of you in Cutler Bay. His personal is Tony and he uses 204. He used to drive back and forth between here and Cutler Bay. We'd chat on LSB 38. He occasionally still talks on LSB 38. Our efforts to make the link by CB all the way from Cutler Bay to this far south have not been successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum
nothing on 16 LSB, however I have made quite a few DX contacts on 38LSB and 28 AM here in San Antonio today

Reactions: 357magnum
Hello All: Wow yeah had some good conditions last night! Talked to 508 in Seattle Wa who was running a old time 23 channel tube radio net, on CH16 LSB just like the old days, very enjoyable to listen in on, and talk to. A lot of stations reporting their older 23 channel CB SSB Radios and such. They cleared the channel about 6:30 PM PST, and I gave several calls to see who's out there, no body heard.

On CH40 27.405 LSB was another net out of the Pacific Northwest with just check ins of a short list 312 was calling, great signal and audio. After he was done calling the list of stations and asked for any check ins I called back. Had a great yep yap QSO and I listened in on all the SSB channels 36 to 40, and above 40, it was all busy with radio traffic.

Nothing heard on the Marine HF Frequencies about Hurricane Dorian.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert I also posted this in the other CH16 blerb

To All in The Path , Stay Safe ! Prayers your way from Magnum ! My friend is St Lucia , he's all boarded up , just moved there from RI this year . I was supposed to be in Isle Mirada for fishing ... trip cancelled ... by me . All $ was refunded , airfare I can use @ another date . 73 , & God Bless , Leo . Sorry got off track as usual for me !:LOL: No Dx here .

I came up to Miami. There was no life at all on LSB 16 in either the Keys or in Miami. Late last night, after I got to Miami I heard a few stations in the distance on LSB 38, but the CB has otherwise been pretty dead quiet around here.

Hurricane Dorian is just a monster and isn't too far from here. It is expected to start causing some problems for Florida - Palm Beach county specifically - in the next few hours before taking its path of destruction north. The Abacos in the northern Bahamas are getting killed. I've been through Andrew, Wilma, Irma and a few others. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best for anyone visited by Dorian.

As for LSB 16, I'm going to keep trying throughout later today (3:00P.M., 6:00P.M. and 9:00P.M.) and tomorrow. This isn't over...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.