• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Labor Day Week-end - LSB 16 revival effort

Some of you have already seen this idea floated on another thread. I thought I'd go ahead and start a dedicated thread so that everyone on WWDX interested could get the news that we're going to try our LSB 16 revival effort again over the Labor Day week-end.

Like our past LSB 16 revival efforts, I'm posting a proposed schedule for hailing. This is in no way intended to make anyone feel limited. In other words, go for it at any time. The goal in proposing the schedule you see below is just to try to improve our chances of making contacts by coordinating when folks might be on. The recommendation - and it is only that - is that folks work around the following hailing schedule for LSB 16 on Saturday, August 31st; Sunday, September 1st and Monday, September 2nd.

9:00A.M. eastern/8:00A.M. central/6:00A.M. pacific;
12:00 noon eastern/11:00A.M. central/9:00A.M. pacific;
3:00P.M. eastern/2:00P.M. central/12:00 noon pacific;
6:00P.M. eastern/5:00P.M. central/3:00P.M. pacific; and
9:00P.M. eastern/8:00P.M. central/6:00P.M. pacific.

Mother Nature hasn't been too cooperative with our prior efforts. I'm hoping that a little luck and a little organization could help our chances.

Catch you on LSB 16!

I am going to try for in the morning--9:00P.M. eastern/8:00P.M. central/6:00P.M. pacific-- Farmer Brown Unit 357 SW Razorback

I came up to Miami. There was no life at all on LSB 16 in either the Keys or in Miami. Late last night, after I got to Miami I heard a few stations in the distance on LSB 38, but the CB has otherwise been pretty dead quiet around here.

Hurricane Dorian is just a monster and isn't too far from here. It is expected to start causing some problems for Florida - Palm Beach county specifically - in the next few hours before taking its path of destruction north. The Abacos in the northern Bahamas are getting killed. I've been through Andrew, Wilma, Irma and a few others. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best for anyone visited by Dorian.

As for LSB 16, I'm going to keep trying throughout later today (3:00P.M., 6:00P.M. and 9:00P.M.) and tomorrow. This isn't over...
Rick how are you alls condition with the storm this morning?

Rick , Stay safe my WWDX friend ! I don't think Miami is far enough from the key's for this storm ? I've got plenty of room for you & family here in Ri if you feel like flying & having a quick get away , I'll show you the coast here in Ri . Heck depending on wind I'll take you off shore Tuna fishing ! But I think sea's here will be snotty also . 73 , Stay Safe & God Bless , Leo

The lower Keys are far enough away from Dorian and the projected path that I'm not too worried. Some outer bands have swung through and dumped bursts of wind and rain in different parts of the Keys, but nothing that's any worse than some of the big summer thunderstorms we frequently get. We had damage from hurricane Irma's 140 mph direct hit 2 summers ago, but our place survived. Dorian isn't going anywhere near close enough to the Keys for us to be worried about wind and rain damage from it.

The big problem throughout the 106 mile Keys stretch is the current "King tide." It is a condition where the moon's closer distance to the earth generates tides a foot above normal due to increased gravitational pull. If you know the Keys, there are many sections that are barely above sea level. If Dorian brings any surge with it at all that far south at the same time high tide hits we could see some flooding in some Keys areas.

Here in Miami my wife and I are obviously closer to the storm, but the news services are reporting that we'll barely feel it. The storm is at roughly the same latitude as West Palm Beach, two counties up. Every projection is that the storm is going to turn north.

Besides, the house I am staying in here was built by a contractor who built it for his daughter. He cut no corners and overbuilt everywhere. This house survived hurricane Andrew in '92 quite well in a neighborhood that looked like it had been bombed. It is solid. We are safe.

And, I've managed to screw three sections together and put up a 1/2 wave Workman Bandit (A99 copy) here, so I'll be trying to catch everyone today on LSB 16!

Thanks for asking, folks.

I'm watching the noon newscast now. A reporter from channel 10 in Miami is at a marina in West Palm Beach. Several of the walkways out to the boat slips are already under water. Their expectation in West Palm Beach is that the storm will turn north instead of continuing west directly towards them.

Unfortunately, the northern Bahamas got nailed by 185 MPH sustained winds with gusts of up to 220MPH and up to 20' tidal surges. Those numbers are insane. The damage in the Abacos is catastrophic. I really feel for those people.

nothing heard but some spanish amers in afternoon here,,,

I didn't even hear that. There was absolutely nothing going on in Miami on LSB 16 or LSB 38. I was pretty shocked because I remember the days up here when every channel was packed. What I did hear were some local Spanish speakers on AM 14, some distant Spanish speakers ones on AM 9 and then some seriously distorted stuff on AM 6. But there was nothing at all on LSB 16 or LSB 38.

We'll have to keep trying. Maybe we should start a thread dedicated to LSB 16. The idea would be for someone to post on there when they are picking up skip or to give folks a "heads up" when solar conditions appear to be in our favor.

Suggestions?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.